Apple to announce 'iOS in the Car' tie up with Ferrari, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz next week

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Apple is rumored to be prepping an official announcement relating to its "iOS in the Car" initiative, with one report claiming the company will reveal the first three automakers to implement the technology next week.

iOS in the Car makers
Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue reveals "iOS in the Car" partners at WWDC 2013.

Sources tell the Financial Times that Apple will launch an "in-car operating system" at next week's Geneva Motor Show, with Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes-Benz named as the initiative's first partners.

The publication fails to name the rumored operating system, but additional details point to Apple's "iOS in the Car" program, which is mentioned at the end of the article as being introduced last year.

A description of the rumored system matches exactly with iOS in the Car functionality. Specifically, the report claims drivers will be granted access to Apple Maps, music, videos, Siri, voice calls, text dictation and more via the partners' infotainment systems.

Further, as seen above, Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes-Benz were announced as launch partners when Apple introduced the platform at WWDC 2013. Apple previously partnered with the three auto manufacturers, as well as Nissan and Alfa Romeo, in a 2005 push to integrate the iPod into car stereo systems.

After its unveiling, Apple's new automotive initiative has remained largely under the radar. Select manufacturers have implemented Siri Eyes Free technology into their cars, but none have gone so far as to incorporate iOS in the Car's full suite of features.

A report in January suggested Apple executives were having trouble getting the project ready for market, which could explain the nearly year-long period of silence.

Most recently, a short video published to the Web in January shows what looks to be an iOS developer tool running an iOS 7.1 emulator piping Apple Maps to a simulated iOS in the Car screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Is this better than Apple having their own event?

2) I hate the current system in every car to an extent that I may trade in my less-than-one-year-old car for a new one if this system is true great. My system is so archaic that when I hit the button for hands-free calling it says "Please listen carefully as our menu items have changed…"¡
  • Reply 2 of 62
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

My understanding was that Apple also had BMW in the fold. Anyone clued up to the standing of their relationship?

• Reply 3 of 62
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    I'm as big an Apple fan as the next guy, but I'm not really sure I'm down with the operator-facing OS of the being so linked to my phone. It seems a tad restrictive as to which car I am going to buy. What if I want to buy a Bimmer? Is it going to be running Droid? It looks like Audi will be. That would be annoying. It seems like a better strategy for auto makers to give the customer the option on this one. But since I'll probably never own a car made after the year 2000, it doesn't really make a difference to me, just doesn't seem smart for an auto manufacturer to get tied in to a system like this. But hey, it's tech, this shit changes fast.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm...Apple is going to announce something but not with their own event? How often do they do that?
  • Reply 5 of 62
    cornchip wrote: »
    I'm as big an Apple fan as the next guy, but I'm not really sure I'm down with the operator-facing OS of the being so linked to my phone. It seems a tad restrictive as to which car I am going to buy. What if I want to buy a Bimmer? Is it going to be running Droid? It looks like Audi will be. That would be annoying. It seems like a better strategy for auto makers to give the customer the option on this one. But since I'll probably never own a car made after the year 2000, it doesn't really make a difference to me, just doesn't seem smart for an auto manufacturer to get tied in to a system like this. But hey, it's tech, this shit changes fast.

One of us is incorrect. I thought iOS in the car was more like AirPlay via BT with unique UI features and in no was actually installed iOS as the car's OS. I also haven't seen any reports that if a vendor offers IOS in the Car they can't also offer Android in the Car. alongside it.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    iOS in car is obviously a licensing program; short of Apple making their own cars it's obviously NOT Apple who's going to introduce the new product, you're not seeing Bosch introducing new cars either, no matter how many of them have a Bosch engine management computer on board.

As for the "long" year wait: does any of the morons who write this have ANY clue about product development cycles in the Auto industry? I think not, otherwise they wouldn't write such nonsense.
    To get a brand new infotainment ecosystem into a shipping car just a year after announcing such a system is very quick, particularly if rumors about it aren't swirling around about it for five years before the announcement.
    Cars are developed in 5 to 7 year cycles, not in 12 to 18 month cycles as usual in the computer tech industry.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

One of us is incorrect. 

Yep, probably me.

• Reply 8 of 62
    Yep, probably me.

If I honestly thought it had to be you I would have said something. I'm not shy. :D I honestly don't know which one will be correct because there is so little info and Apple can do some weird stuff like.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

You should get a newer car just for the advances in safety features alone.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    I'm hoping more manufacturers will come on board, as those are three I would probably never buy from. Actually, what I really want is for after-market companies, such as Alpine, to implement it.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member

I really wish Apple would partner with a 3rd party manufacturer for aftermarket head units.

• Reply 12 of 62
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote: rfca

To get a brand new infotainment ecosystem into a shipping car just a year after announcing such a system is very quick, particularly if rumors about it aren't swirling around about it for five years before the announcement.

Cars are developed in 5 to 7 year cycles, not in 12 to 18 month cycles as usual in the computer tech industry.

Yes and no. Cars are still developed on 5 to 7 year cycles, but infotainment is not any longer.

That all changed back in 2009 when MS Sync became the reason people bought Fords. Following that, car MFRs realized that in part, their vehicles are A/V touchscreens that happen to have wheels.

They're getting smarter: with every bit of telematics on CANBUS, they either spec it into the radio and Alpine, BOSCH, Blaupunkt, Delphi, or whoever the contract goes to, builds it as the OEM (Bose is a licensed out name for car, B&W has a car tech licensing program as well). 

They have come to realize that they need to be able to substitute the infotainment on a 12-18 month cycle, because no one wants to be stuck with an antiquated system that depresses car sales numbers. Chrysler shipping a spinning HDD under the dash doesn't cut it on a 5 year timeline. 

18 months is about right. That's how long it took BMW to spin up and ship the new iDrive that's MFi licensed. Between the iOS in the car initiatives and the Android in the car initiatives, development time could potentially shrink further.

• Reply 13 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post

I'm hoping more manufacturers will come on board, as those are three I would probably never buy from. Actually, what I really want is for after-market companies, such as Alpine, to implement it.

Me too, although I suspect it won't happen. The aftermarket head unit sales are shrinking as everyone thinks it's too much trouble for too little reward to take out the stock radio anymore. 

Alpine will probably make one under OEM contract, but you and I will never know it was an Alpine.

• Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Why 2000?

I can understand the interest in 1995/6 and prior (some states don't require emissions testing on OBD1 vehicles any longer), but what's the reason for 2000?

• Reply 15 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You should get a newer car just for the advances in safety features alone.

Meh. The wifey will hopefully be getting an E61 this summer, but if I died in a car, I could live with that. I love driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

Why 2000?

I can understand the interest in 1995/6 and prior (some states don't require emissions testing on OBD1 vehicles any longer), but what's the reason for 2000?

Oh, no specific reason really, other than being a nice round number. Emissions BS is a little part of it, but it also gives me a little extra leeway for getting my 993!... Some day. I just like older cars. More sensation, more soul. Newer cars are all so numb. You can't feel the engine, you can't feel the road, you can't feel the brakes... there's so much disconnect. I love the sensation of driving a machine. Plus I love fixing my stuff. I've fixed my iPhones, iPads, as well as tons of other stuff throughout my life. It's not that you can't fix newer cars yourself, it's just that they're not as fixer-friendly. And then the electronics. Once that stuff goes... Forget about it. Late 80's to late 90's was the golden age of the car. Now they're all disposable appliances. No thanks.

• Reply 16 of 62

I can't believe BMW is not willing to even try this out.

This could be their Verizon vs Cingular moment.

I hope Mercedes puts this in their GLK-350.

Time will tell.

• Reply 17 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I can't believe BMW is not willing to even try this out.

This could be their Verizon vs Cingular moment.

I hope Mercedes puts this in their GLK-350.

Time will tell.

BMW just got done with their MFi iDrive system. Additionally, they may not have the choice.  See: the original AirPlay speaker partners.

• Reply 18 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Meh. The wifey will hopefully be getting an E61 this summer, but if I died in a car, I could live with that. I love driving.

Oh, no specific reason really, other than being a nice round number. Emissions BS is a little part of it, but it also gives me a little extra leeway for getting my 993!... Some day. I just like older cars. More sensation, more soul. Newer cars are all so numb. You can't feel the engine, you can't feel the road, you can't feel the brakes... there's so much disconnect. I love the sensation of driving a machine. Plus I love fixing my stuff. I've fixed my iPhones, iPads, as well as tons of other stuff throughout my life. It's not that you can't fix newer cars yourself, it's just that they're not as fixer-friendly. And then the electronics. Once that stuff goes... Forget about it. Late 80's to late 90's was the golden age of the car. Now they're all disposable appliances. No thanks.

I'm mixed - I do like a late 90s car for wrenching on, but heavens, my 2005 is comfortable. And, it's not numb at all - a little acceleration and the rear wheels are happy to swing out to the side. I will admit to having changed the differential mounts and shift linkage to polyurethane and mounting thicker anti-sway bars on it.

• Reply 19 of 62

Never mind

• Reply 20 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    My wife's Lexus is very iOS integrated yet Lexus is not mentioned here. Her ES 350 allows her to talk to Siri and control her 5s totally hands free. What else is there?