US Apple TV promotion includes $25 iTunes card as rumors of new model swirl

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    I just bought my sister an Apple TV for Christmas so I'm curious to see what's new in the updated version. Presumably it'll include a faster CPU/GPU compared to the one currently available. It'll be good news if they allow games to run directly from the box, though it would need some more storage space included.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have not remotely implied that he did anything 'adverse' to Apple's interests. Don't even go there. I just said Apple has outgrown him.

He's been doing a very poor job of managing market expectations... The market's expectations were well-known, widely-reported, and overblown.

It was/is the CFO's job to talk these silly expectations down. He just disappears from view between quarterly conf calls. That's doing a poor job in a half-trillion dollar company, imho.

:rolleyes: That's a Wall St. problem, and managing their expectations is an exercise in futility.  Ultimately they'd rather take the Wall St. press as gospel, and it's pretty clear from all recent history they don't want to listen to Apple, nor the hard numbers they report quarterly.  If soothing the irrational, chaotic fears and gripes of stock traders is a priority, all that's needed is a look at the financials.

The CFO's job has many tangible responsibilities, Apple doesn't need their CFO distracted by coddling the weak willed, or showering the insecure with attention.

• Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

:rolleyes: That's a Wall St. problem, and managing their expectations is an exercise in futility.  

That's nonsense.

• Reply 24 of 40
    boeyc15 wrote: »

My main desire, is HDMI pass through(for cable box). Right now have to pick up my receiver remote and click the proper input etc. Be nice if I could just use one HDMI input to my receiver. then when I want to see whats on ATV, just use the apple remote. (I know there other things that could be programmed etc... its just me.)

Not me. I would rather see apps for all the networks on a store like set up so I can pick the ones I want and a centralized validation setting. Then I have the single UI with no need for a cable box and rental fees.

A pass through and control SDK for my DVD or blue ray player, sure. Go for that I suppose.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

That's nonsense.

You are totally incorrect.

If some investors want to follow tabloid quality financial news, a handful of rotating press pundits, that's their problem.

Apple already provides future quarter guidance, no additional strokes needed for investing adults.  Numbers matter, not the quality of editorial opinion in the press, that's not under any kind of control or responsibility for Apple's CFO.

• Reply 26 of 40
    This sounds like we might have a March release of gen 4, maybe keynote invitations on the 5th, but Apple would never do a keynote for just a hobby, wonder what else?
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Apple would never do a keynote for just a hobby, wonder what else?

Nothing else, hopefully.

• Reply 28 of 40
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

The Reuters article got it wrong.  Tim's quote was that they sold $1B worth of AppleTV's plus content for it during 2013, as opposed to just $1B for the boxes alone.  Big difference considering people with AppleTV's most likely purchase way more than $99 worth of content on it per year.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a great haul, but a news agency should do a better job of interporeting quotes that are readily available.

Thompson 

• Reply 29 of 40
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This would also allow for your Apple TV UI to always be on the ready, even overlaying your cable/sat info if someone is calling you, someone is at the door, important news you want to follow, etc.

I can't express how much I hate having to use the TV remote simply to change the input. It just feels so archaic, and that isn't helped when I can't remove unused input options like HDMI 3, Component 1, Component 2, VGA, and Composite.

Get a universal Harmony remote, and never worry about picking up other remotes and selecting the right input again.  (That is, after the first time when you program your "activities".)

Thompson

• Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

If some investors want to follow tabloid quality financial news, a handful of rotating press pundits, that's their problem.

Apple already provides future quarter guidance, no additional strokes needed for investing adults.  Numbers matter, not the quality of editorial opinion in the press, that's not under any kind of control or responsibility for Apple's CFO.

You just don’t get it, or don’t know much about what companies actually do.

Having a CFO/IR Department that can carefully manage analyst expectations is very much a part of the agenda of savvy companies. Do they succeed 100% of the time? Of course not. But does it substantially improve the odds that the analysts and the financial media – the food source for short-term traders – will cut you a lot of slack? You bet.

Just ask Google, Amazon, and Tesla.

Incidentally, I think Apple should stop giving guidance (which amounts to a weasel-y range of numbers anyway), and let the analysts do their own work. Apple would be in some pretty good company, with the likes of Google, GE, McDonalds, Coca Cola, and Berkshire Hathaway. Apple should focus instead on managing expectations when analyst ‘whisper’ numbers get out of control as they’re recently done, time and time again. For a CFO to turn a blind eye to market expectations that run wild – especially when so much employee wealth is tied up in the market value of the stock – is plain stupid.

You can choose not to believe it. That’s certainly your prerogative.

• Reply 31 of 40
    I will not buy an iphone or Apple TV until they offer a bigger iphone an an updated Apple TV
  • Reply 32 of 40
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenjordan View Post

I will not buy an iphone or Apple TV until they offer a bigger iphone an an updated Apple TV

Uh-huh.

• Reply 33 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    redefiler wrote: »

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">If some investors want to follow tabloid quality financial news,</span>
    a handful of rotating press pundits,<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> that's their problem.</span>

You are absolutely right about this. Anantksundaram and others such as the illustrious Constable Odo would have Apple "managing" those who have shown themselves incapable of understanding what the company is about. This would be a violation of Apple's covenant with its users: we focus on your products, not on lobbying and hustling.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Originally Posted by Kenjordan View Post

We care why?

• Reply 35 of 40
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Interesting rumor that Oppenheimer may retire (I don't know Forbes's credibility on Apple-related matters): http://onforb.es/1khdUdd

If it turns out to be true, I'd say, it's about time. Apple's needs and complexities have far outgrown him.

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You just don’t get it, or don’t know much about what companies actually do.

Having a CFO/IR Department that can carefully manage analyst expectations is very much a part of the agenda of savvy companies. Do they succeed 100% of the time? Of course not. But does it substantially improve the odds that the analysts and the financial media – the food source for short-term traders – will cut you a lot of slack? You bet.

Just ask Google, Amazon, and Tesla.

Incidentally, I think Apple should stop giving guidance (which amounts to a weasel-y range of numbers anyway), and let the analysts do their own work. Apple would be in some pretty good company, with the likes of Google, GE, McDonalds, Coca Cola, and Berkshire Hathaway. Apple should focus instead on managing expectations when analyst ‘whisper’ numbers get out of control as they’re recently done, time and time again. For a CFO to turn a blind eye to market expectations that run wild – especially when so much employee wealth is tied up in the market value of the stock – is plain stupid.

You can choose not to believe it. That’s certainly your prerogative.

You spent time on the later half of Friday with your 'expert' financial musings about how the complexities of Apple were beyond Oppenheimer.  Now its Monday, and he's been appointed to the board of Goldman Sachs, one of the biggest financial houses on Wall St.  Clearly they thought he was doing well enough at his day job, to ask him to help them out during his free time.

But I'll take a short break from doing victory laps on your head, to address your follow up post from over the weekend:

You named three companies that do a thing.  Go back and write down all the unsuccessful companies that also do the same thing.  Clearly the lynchpin to financial success is not having a CFO to coddle the easily swayed, irrational short term opinions of Wall St.  It's a waste of time (and money) for smart, talented people to try and help educate the dim.  Clearly I wasted my time last week trying to help you and should have just let nature take its course, irrelevant your silly ideas back to obscurity, while I sipped delicious pina coladas.  Next time I'll remember, you're easily bested with or without rum.

Your 'appeal to decency' debate tactic about those poor Apple employees wealth, was so pathetic and transparently desperate, it deserves special mention.  Apple employees' long term stock wealth is directly tied to the output of their collective work, and not the short term hysterics of the Wall St. press and the plebs who swallow it as holy gospel.

In conclusion, what I choose to believe is irrelevant (though miraculously in harmony with known reality), but your financial insights aren't worth the cheap cloth of the troll sack you keep them in.  Got any other Apple executives you'd like to ignorantly gripe about?

• Reply 36 of 40
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

You spent time on the later half of Friday with your 'expert' financial musings about how the complexities of Apple were beyond Oppenheimer.  Now its Monday, and he's been appointed to the board of Goldman Sachs, one of the biggest financial houses on Wall St.  Clearly they thought he was doing well enough at his day job, to ask him to help them out during his free time.

But I'll take a short break from doing victory laps on your head, to address your follow up post from over the weekend:

You named three companies that do a thing.  Go back and write down all the unsuccessful companies that also do the same thing.  Clearly the lynchpin to financial success is not having a CFO to coddle the easily swayed, irrational short term opinions of Wall St.  It's a waste of time (and money) for smart, talented people to try and help educate the dim.  Clearly I wasted my time last week trying to help you and should have just let nature take its course, irrelevant your silly ideas back to obscurity, while I sipped delicious pina coladas.  Next time I'll remember, you're easily bested with or without rum.

Your 'appeal to decency' debate tactic about those poor Apple employees wealth, was so pathetic and transparently desperate, it deserves special mention.  Apple employees' long term stock wealth is directly tied to the output of their collective work, and not the short term hysterics of the Wall St. press and the plebs who swallow it as holy gospel.

In conclusion, what I choose to believe is irrelevant (though miraculously in harmony with known reality), but your financial insights aren't worth the cheap cloth of the troll sack you keep them in.  Got any other Apple executives you'd like to ignorantly gripe about?

Yowzie! Stop getting your panties in a bunch. 

Quite apart from the fact that you are somewhat clueless about the nature of my post, the appointment to Goldman Sach's board, while nice, tells us nothing necessarily about quality. 

One, they might just after future Apple business. Two, being a Goldman director did not prevent someone from being convicted of insider trading: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/06/15/rajat-gupta-convicted-of-insider-trading/ ;(not that I am even remotely suggesting that Oppenheimer would do anything remotely close, but rather, I am simply pointing out that being appointed to their Board is not an anointment of some sort or an unalloyed signal of quality).

That said, perhaps Oppenheimer will learn a couple of expectation-management insights from being on that board.

Edits: Added link.

• Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:

Yowzie! Stop getting your panties in a bunch. 

Quite apart from the fact that you are somewhat clueless about the nature of my post, the appointment to Goldman Sach's board, while nice, tells us nothing necessarily about quality. 

One, they might just after future Apple business. Two, being a Goldman director did not prevent someone from being convicted of insider trading: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/06/15/rajat-gupta-convicted-of-insider-trading/ ;(not that I am even remotely suggesting that Oppenheimer would do anything remotely close, but rather, I am simply pointing out that being appointed to their Board is not an anointment of some sort or an unalloyed signal of quality).

That said, perhaps Oppenheimer will learn a couple of expectation-management insights from being on that board.

Edits: Added link.

My panties don't bunch, that's the beauty of thongs.  :smokey:

Clueless... well here's what I know...

Fact: Peter Oppenheimer knows at least twice as much about any of this than you do.

Also: he's now the CFO of the most successful company on Earth, and a BOD of Goldman Sachs.

Further: you are not either of those things, in fact you're nobody armed with silly beauro-speak fed on low grade, mass media financial reporting.

You need to manage your own expectations, and seriously ask yourself... how can you possibly ever compare to Oppenheimer

What have you ever accomplished in comparison?  Nothing?  Less than nothing?  A quarter of less than nothing?  So run along, and tally those bananas.

• Reply 38 of 40
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    redefiler wrote: »
    blah blah

Ugh. I see that you've descended into utter juvenility.

You've certainly met expectations.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

Ugh. I see that you've descended into utter juvenility.

You've certainly met expectations.

If you're going to throw stones, don't live in a glass house.

Didn't you start this by trashing the head financial guy of the world's most successful company?  :rolleyes:

On a thread about the Apple TV? :rolleyes: