Mac Pro ship times slip to April as demand continues to outstrip supply

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

My nMP ordered 19 December at 1:20PM PDT finally arrived yesterday (February 24). It was a long wait and I'm glad it's over. It's really an impressive machine and replaced a MP 1.1 from 2006.

That will be a major step up!  Congratulations!

• Reply 62 of 110
    My nMP ordered 19 December at 1:20PM PDT finally arrived yesterday (February 24). It was a long wait and I'm glad it's over. It's really an impressive machine and replaced a MP 1.1 from 2006.

1.1! That must've been your cheapest Mac, running for so many years
  • Reply 63 of 110
    philboogie wrote: »

I can't quite match that longevity. My first iMac ran from 2001 to 2008. Still working fine when replaced. My current 2008 iMac I hope to think of replacing in 2015 or 2016. Other than a blown power supply last year, it's been fine.
  • Reply 64 of 110
    I can't quite match that longevity. My first iMac ran from 2001 to 2008. Still working fine when replaced. My current 2008 iMac I hope to think of replacing in 2015 or 2016. Other than a blown power supply last year, it's been fine.

I typically replace my Macs every or two but I did get back an old 2001 iMac (the first ones with the flat screens on the swivel head) from some family members I had given it to back in 2004. It still works and I needed an iTunes Server. All it does is pull in data from a RAID via FW400 (only has USB 1.0) and then sends it to my Airport Extreme via 100MB Ethernet. iTunes is a couple major revisions old but it has iTunes Match and Home Sharing so I'm not without the requisite features i need for my Apple TV.

Well, it also acts as the Time Machine server for the other Macs in the house, which was somewhat difficult since I had to install more RAM and install OS X Leopard Server. This unfortunately messed things up a bit since Apple's download for developers has a code but the code stopped working in 2008 so it's limited many aspects of the system.

HW-wise it's fine for just passing data to the RAID and running iTunes but I plan on replacing it with a Mac Mini (probably a generation or two old via Craig's List) once they are updated. I really just need something that is Intel-based, runs a much newer version of OS X, USB3.0 for the RAID, and has 1GB Ethernet for connecting to the Airport Extreme.
  • Reply 65 of 110
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I typically replace my Macs every or two but I did get back an old 2001 iMac (the first ones with the flat screens on the swivel head) from some family members I had given it to back in 2004. It still works and I needed an iTunes Server. All it does is pull in data from a RAID via FW400 (only has USB 1.0) and then sends it to my Airport Extreme via 100MB Ethernet. iTunes is a couple major revisions old but it has iTunes Match and Home Sharing so I'm not without the requisite features i need for my Apple TV.

Well, it also acts as the Time Machine server for the other Macs in the house, which was somewhat difficult since I had to install more RAM and install OS X Leopard Server. This unfortunately messed things up a bit since Apple's download for developers has a code but the code stopped working in 2008 so it's limited many aspects of the system.

HW-wise it's fine for just passing data to the RAID and running iTunes but I plan on replacing it with a Mac Mini (probably a generation or two old via Craig's List) once they are updated. I really just need something that is Intel-based, runs a much newer version of OS X, USB3.0 for the RAID, and has 1GB Ethernet for connecting to the Airport Extreme.

13 years-impressive! My 2001 was the old CRT design. I remember that Apple were considered to be struggling that year. How things have changed. I mean, they're always considered to be struggling by the media, but their bank balance has changed a bit.
  • Reply 66 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That MP 1.1 was easily the best Mac I've ever owned. It was starting to show it's age though, occasionally not waking up from sleep and the video card freezing once in a great while. It was a nice change from the Power Mac G5 it replaced, which died after 18-months. Luckily it was under Applecare. One thing that led to its longevity was that my computer needs aren't as demanding as they were in 2006.

In order I think my three favorite Macs I've owned were the MP 1.1, the TiBook 867 and the Mac fx.

• Reply 67 of 110
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I plan on replacing it with a Mac Mini (probably a generation or two old via Craig's List) once they are updated. I really just need something that is Intel-based, runs a much newer version of OS X, USB3.0 for the RAID, and has 1GB Ethernet for connecting to the Airport Extreme.

Just remember that the oldest Mini with USB3 is the late 2012, which is the current version. Indeed, on even old after they release an update.

First Mini to gain 1Gb Eth is the early 2006
  • Reply 68 of 110
    In order I think my three favorite Macs I've owned were the MP 1.1, the TiBook 867 and the Mac fx.

I too had the MP1,1 and the TiBook. Fantastic machines.
  • Reply 69 of 110

March has marched in and I am still waiting for a change in my order status.  Hope it is soon...

BTW, as the topic has shifted a bit, my favorite Mac of all-time was my first, a Mac Plus bought sometime around 1988.  It was an amazing machine for its day and not only helped me get through school (tons of papers were written on it... and tons of games were played, especially Strategic Conquest... we could spend entire weekends on games) but also helped me with my work over the next decade.  It finally fell out of regular use at about the time I bought my first iMac, a slot loading graphite model sometime around 2000 and was finally gotten rid of only about three years ago.  It worked fine the whole time and only had two problems: a broken key on the keyboard (which otherwise survived a drop down two flights of stairs) and a burned out power supply (too much game play during hot, humid summers in college with no air conditioning).

• Reply 71 of 110

Awesome!  When did you order?

Nice TV/display... what is it?

• Reply 72 of 110
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    LG TV HD it took four weeks

It's a beautiful machine
  • Reply 73 of 110
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    comley wrote: »
    LG TV HD it took four weeks

It's a beautiful machine

Congrats on the new Mac. Is that a workable config, hooking the Mac up to a TV and working on it all day? I have a Mini underneath the TV in the living, but never 'work' on it; it's merely used for playing videos. I would think one could get a headache from watching a TV screen for long periods of time...
  • Reply 74 of 110
    Thank you my friend .I'm still setting it up can't believe how small The Mac Pro is . Use my TV to save pennies
    3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
    16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC - 4X4GB
    512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    Dual AMD FirePro D300-2GB VRAM
    It might take some time getting used to
  • Reply 75 of 110

Still no change in status.

We should know soon whether Apple is catching up to demand.  OldCodger73 got his machine in 67 days (if my calculations are correct) after ordering in December.  I'm still "only" at 53 days after ordering in January, slightly less than one month later.  If Apple is catching up to demand, then I should get mine sooner rather than later.  If they aren't catching up, then it's anybody's guess.

My order was placed before the Apple Store shifted to shipping in March, but my shop told me recently that their channel had said since before my order that it would arrive in March.  Which suggests Apple is pushing supply towards their stores first, then to resellers (which is fine), or that the shipping date posted online means nothing. 

Is there any data yet on how many of these babies have sold?  Or anything about channel problems?  I don't buy in to any "made in USA therefore blah blah" stuff.  I saw the "making of" video Apple posted and got the impression they could really churn them out.  Either that isn"t really happening or the machine is selling incredibly well, or both?

In any case, I am really looking forward to getting this Beast.  

Fingers crossed!

• Reply 76 of 110
    On average it takes 4 to 6 weeks for delivery
    So if you ordered it in December you should have it by now so contact Apple and find out what's going on , There is a shortage of parts I believe
  • Reply 77 of 110

Had my new Mac Pro for a week now and I love it so much here's a little video of me unboxing it

• Reply 78 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 34skyline View Post

Had my new Mac Pro for a week now and I love it so much here's a little video of me unboxing it

When did you order?

• Reply 79 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by comley View Post

On average it takes 4 to 6 weeks for delivery

So if you ordered it in December you should have it by now so contact Apple and find out what's going on , There is a shortage of parts I believe

I'm at 8 weeks...  Ordered Jan 16.

• Reply 80 of 110

Sniping the prices list here I found the MacPro 6C 3.5GHz/16GB/1TB/D500 in stock at MacMall Tues and it's now sitting on my desk quietly humming through my FCPx rendering like a champ.

Looks like they exacto-knifed a previous shipping label off the box, so I wanted to say thank you to whoever canceled their order :)