Apple to announce 'iOS in the Car' tie up with Ferrari, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz next week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62

"Apple executives "didn't quite know what to do" with the iOS in the Car program"

So has this issue been solved?

Jan. 28

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/28/organizational-strife-said-to-bedevil-apples-ios-in-the-car-intiative

• Reply 22 of 62
    I hope it works better than Ford's SYNC thing. Half the time, it wouldn't recognize the connected iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 62

PLEASE work with VW because their UI is mostly crap (especially if you have the on board navigation). 

• Reply 24 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    PLEASE work with VW because their UI is mostly crap (especially if you have the on board navigation). 

Yes. A thousand times yes.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    I'm an Apple and VW fanboy so of course I would love VW/Audi to get on board. I can't speak of VW navigation since I don't understand why anyone would spend that much on a crappy nav. My Garmin and iPhone are plenty fine for gps. Lately I just use my phone and not my Garmin.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    rtamesisrtamesis Posts: 88member
    Volvo showed off their new interface for their Volvo Concept Estate, which looks suspiciously like an iOS GUI.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/27/volvo-infotainment-user-interface-concept-estate-geneva/
  • Reply 27 of 62
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes. A thousand times yes.

Not happy with your 911 Turbo's infotainment system eh?

• Reply 28 of 62
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Tesla please.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

It would be so sweet if Apple really entered this space with all the power in the world. So many patents, so little innovation, so crappy software, just like phones before the iPhone.

People are focussed on stupid worthless things. Why does it matter to 99% of the world if your car goes above 200 km/h? It's illegal, dangerous, irrational. I believe that the trick to make a really enjoyable car for almost everyone is to make it all about software. Currently I believe that the GT-R (Software making that engine work like a charm) and Model S (everything) are the best examples, with the tesla dominating the car rankings, for obvious reasons.

And once it is all about software (intuitive, faster and more importantly updatable) and support there's one company that stands above everybody else.

For once, the benefits would be immense for Apple. Not only the billions, not only the renewed sensation of disruption, not only the dream, but also one step further to tell the world that you are not an US company anymore but a Global company, and join the best automotive engineers in the world, right here in Europe.

I don't (yet) really understand why some of the most talented people prefer to go to the US, where the educational system (and results) are terrible, but if there is one area where the US are also pathetically inferior, is automotive engineering. American cars, with their huge engines, pathetic build quality, pathetic handling, pathetic security are so un-Apple like. That's PC-like mentality (more cores Vs bigger engine, beige box Vs everything you have, etc.).

Apple doesn't seem American at all, neither does Google. Maybe because they are only American in everything tax-related? I would love to know.

Anyway, Cars + TV + wearables look like fantastic areas. Between those, TV + wearables look obvious bets and easier for Apple (iOS, iPhones, etc. and the ecosystem are already there, it's just a matter of war of Attrition) but cars look like a million time bigger deal.

And with cars comes TSLA. With TSLA, Musk. For the current Apple (and the next few years) there's no one better than Cook, I believe. But when Apple looks at the sky again, or looks to conquer something else (as they did, before), Musk is the guy.

Steve managed to be Pixar's and Apple's CEO, Musk is capable of much more. He could bring all of his companies to Apple (or closer). That's leaving everybody on every area scared to death. Those are the companies that could build a nice home, in Mars.

• Reply 30 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm confused about what this is. Apple needs to make an iPad for your dashboard hardware item car manufacturers would install at a factory level and allow new car customers an option to add on the "iCar package" (GPS, FM/AM radio, Bluetooth, WiFi for either ad-hoc updating from your phone or long range for updating from your driveway, 32 GB HD with larger options, plus select custom car functions per car maker like heated seat controls or airflow control) for a reasonably price when purchasing their car, with some manufacturers bundling the hardware package for "free" to help get sales of their cars up. I was exited there for a second when I saw this article title. Damn.

EDIT: The title of the article first read with the words "new operating system".
  • Reply 31 of 62
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

All Apple needs is a modified Apple TV like box hardwired into the dash along with the manufacturers system of choice and outputting to a touchscreen which along with steering wheel controls acts as the remote.

It could link to an iPhone or iPad via airplay and other phones via bluetooth and utilise their Internet connection.

You could also link it to your homes wifi network for syncing an iTunes library, updates etc and have it connect when in range.

Simple and most of the work is already done.

• Reply 32 of 62
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

People are focussed on stupid worthless things. Why does it matter to 99% of the world if your car goes above 200 km/h?

It's nice to reach 100km/h in just over 5 seconds and end up in a good buffer zone with no-one else anywhere near you.

• Reply 33 of 62
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

People are focussed on stupid worthless things. Why does it matter to 99% of the world if your car goes above 200 km/h?

It's nice to reach 100km/h in just over 5 seconds and end up in a good buffer zone with no-one else anywhere near you.

Exactly, that's why Tesla has the correct approach. Everything above 200 km/h should be illegal or only sold to professionals when justified.

Again, people have all these ideas of "fun", "feeling", etc. while driving. It isn't. Roads aren't yours. It's not your decision to decide if you go above or bellow X km/h, or if you drift or not. There are limits and rules.

So why selling cars that go above 150 km/h? Autobahn? I remember reading somewhere that the GT-R only unlocks full power/speed when the GPS detects that you are in a circuit. Samse stuff should be applied.

• Reply 34 of 62
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

I won't be happy until there's a big Apple logo on Ferrari's Formula 1 car. Forza Ferrari, y'all! 8-)

• Reply 35 of 62
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    cornchip wrote: »
    .......but if I died in a car, I could live with that.

If you can manage to pull that off, hats off to you, Sir! ;-)
  • Reply 36 of 62
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    vmarks wrote: »

BMW just got done with their MFi iDrive system.

BMW's iDrive is crapness raised to the n-th level. :grumble:
  • Reply 37 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    waybacmac wrote: »
    I won't be happy until there's a big Apple logo on Ferrari's Formula 1 car. Forza Ferrari, y'all! 8-)

Yes, a Team Apple F1 would be cool! Way cooler than Red Bull.

To paraphrase Steve ... "F1 do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugary water?" :D

The Team Apple could be black or white cars with an inverse Apple logo. It would look spectacular!

Then ... Take it to the next level ... in an actual F1 race ...

"Siri ... shift down now, shift down again, ... OMG .. brake ......brake!!!!"

"I'm sorry, I am unable to break I am made of very strong material, shall i look that up for ....."
  • Reply 38 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    One of us is incorrect. I thought iOS in the car was more like AirPlay via BT with unique UI features and in no was actually installed iOS as the car's OS. I also haven't seen any reports that if a vendor offers IOS in the Car they can't also offer Android in the Car. alongside it.

Did you get to the bottom of this? I agree the article tells us nothing. As I mentioned in the thread, my wife's Lexus already has total blue tooth integration that lets her, hands free, do anything she wishes on her iPhone, however I am thinking perhaps this concept takes it farther by placing a screen in the car which displays what would normally display on the iPhone, i.e. when you ask for directions iOS is running the screen with Apple maps on it. In effect the guts of an iPhone on the dashboard. In fact, if Apple are as clever as I know they are ... they are planning an iPhone sans pretty case, rather in a functional one without any buttons, that slots into an Apple designed dashboard to be the brains of the built in screen, sound system etc.. That way the iPhone part could be upgraded easily thus more sales for Apple and always the latest technology in the car. ... an iCar?
  • Reply 39 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Did you get to the bottom of this? I agree the article tells us nothing. As I mentioned in the thread, my wife's Lexus already has total blue tooth integration that lets her, hands free, do anything she wishes on her iPhone, however I am thinking perhaps this concept takes it farther by placing a screen in the car which displays what would normally display on the iPhone, i.e. when you ask for directions iOS is running the screen with Apple maps on it. In effect the guts of an iPhone on the dashboard. In fact, if Apple are as clever as I know they are ... they are planning an iPhone sans pretty case, rather in a functional one without any buttons, that slots into an Apple designed dashboard to be the brains of the built in screen, sound system etc.. That way the iPhone part could be upgraded easily thus more sales for Apple and always the latest technology in the car. ... an iCar?

I've got nothing and probably won't until Apple wants us to know.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Am buying new SUV this year. Was pretty much down to Subaru Forrester and Mercedes GLK. despie the price difference, this would tilt the scale towards MB.