Popular messaging app imo.im to end support for third-party IM networks starting Mar. 3

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
In emails sent out to users on Friday, imo announced that it will be discontinuing support for all third-party instant messaging networks to focus on a build-out of its own platform.

imo

The somewhat abrupt change in policy comes as a surprise to some who downloaded the imo app specifically for its ability to aggregate and manage instant messaging accounts across multiple platforms. Starting Mar. 3, imo will begin cutting off support for third-party networks.
We originally launched imo as a browser based messaging service to manage all of your IM accounts. Since then we have also developed apps for Android, iPhone, iPad and Amazon.

To provide the best and most reliable service for our users, we need to focus on the areas we feel we can make the biggest impact. We are now going to concentrate on building out our own communications platform to help people easily connect in their everyday lives. Our goal is to create the fastest and most reliable messaging, voice and video call service in the world.

On March 3, 2014, we will start discontinuing support for all third-party instant messaging networks. We know change isn't always easy, but we hope our users will trust that this will make imo an even better service.
According to the app's iTunes description, over ten million people use the platform across Facebook Chat, Google Talk, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo! Messenger, Jabber and Steam. Recently, imo has been concentrating on migrating users to its own service, which includes free mobile VoIP and video calling and a unique Web interface.

Users can download chat history via the o.imo.im Web client. Cached messages from third-party networks will be available until Mar. 7.

The news comes after Facebook purchased messaging app WhatsApp for a staggering $16 billion earlier in February. The service is popular around the world, but most importantly has a huge user base in Europe, where Facebook is not as dominant as it is in the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Talk about short notice. Luckily I don't use it.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »

Short indeed, but I'm very curious what they mean by "communications platform".
  • Reply 3 of 21
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I remember the days before every week brought big news about yet ANOTHER wildly-popular messaging service I've never even heard of.

(I agree with Benedict Evans' assertion that having tons of competing social/IM services is not a problem, thanks to the iPhone and its offspring: you can have all these similar services, and send/receive from them all at once, wherever you are, without needing anything to be running all the time. No big push for "one winner," then.)
  • Reply 4 of 21
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    jungmark wrote: »

Short indeed, but I'm very curious what they mean by "communications platform".

They mean their cloud infrastructure for their communication services. Obviously they want their "platform" to be bought.
  • Reply 5 of 21

With Telegram picking up steam and getting better with each release, IMO will have to bring something fresh to the IM game which will set it apart. Otherwise it's DOA... This imo, of course ;)

• Reply 6 of 21
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Who the heck uses all these one-off IM solutions (and how do they convince their friends to bother)?

• Reply 7 of 21

In my case we're 5 buddies with devices on different platforms: iOS and Android + Mac. Telegram allows us to chat as it is available for Android, iOS, Mac and PC. What sets Telegram apart from say Kik is cross platform/device availability, no need to log off from 1 device to switch to another. (as seen with Kakao, Kik ), and chat history is carried through like iMessage <--> Messages app.

• Reply 8 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple need to release an iMessage client for Android already. Most Android users would give it a go. Meaning they would install and have the app on their phone. Which in-turn would mean I as an Apple device owner and user could use iMessage exclusively for the first time. God, that would be such a relief. Such a breath of fresh air. Facebook's $19B purchase of WhatsApp would look stupid if this happened. Come on, Apple. Get your finger out. If your are really all about the experience you'll allow us Apple device owners the ability to use iMessage and its emoji set exclusively with the ability to sent to all peoples. That would be a boon for my user experience on my iPhone, giving me the ability to delete other 4 chat and messaging apps I have installed.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    shokkshokk Posts: 12member

It’s just another messaging app in an already over saturated market. Google will probably snatch them up for $10 bln.

• Reply 10 of 21
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

So... What chat apps are cross platform and integrate SMS? I only know hangouts, that's why I use it. It even integrates well with the Mac messages app.

If only it was a bit faster on my Android device and if they had the decency to update iOS and Android versions at the same time... The Android versions looks 10 years older.

• Reply 11 of 21
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    malax wrote: »
    Who the heck uses all these one-off IM solutions (and how do they convince their friends to bother)?

There's no convincing needed, one's friends are unaware that the service is being used.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    rosujinrosujin Posts: 42member
    Deleting the app now...
  • Reply 13 of 21
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ireland wrote: »
    Apple need to release an iMessage client for Android already. Most Android users would give it a go. Meaning they would install and have the app on their phone. Which in-turn would mean I as an Apple device owner and user could use iMessage exclusively for the first time. God, that would be such a relief. Such a breath of fresh air. Facebook's $19B purchase of WhatsApp would look stupid if this happened. Come on, Apple. Get your finger out. If your are really all about the experience you'll allow us Apple device owners the ability to use iMessage and its emoji set exclusively with the ability to sent to all peoples. That would be a boon for my user experience on my iPhone, giving me the ability to delete other 4 chat and messaging apps I have installed.

Most Android users? Bullsh1t.

Again, an Android iMessage app is of no benefit to Apple. You say the experience is what Apple should worry about but it's still Android. What version should they release it for? What size if screen? Processor speed? Etc. it ain't worth it.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    shokkshokk Posts: 12member
    Apple needs to make an Android app the same way they need SMS.

And as for apps that still support 3rd party apps, aren't Meebo and Adium and Pidgin and Trillian still in business?

Messages on the Mac supports these different chat methods, so should iMessage. This is amateur hour stuff, why hasn't Apple nailed it?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by shokk View Post

Messages on the Mac supports these different chat methods, so should iMessage. This is amateur hour stuff, why hasn't Apple nailed it?

Because iMessage replaces all of them. There’s zero need for redundancy.

• Reply 16 of 21
    To summarise IMO's decision in a nut shell:

"Hey! That reason you actually bothered to download us? We're removing it. We're smart people!"
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Not saying Apple is buying them...but isn't this the kind of behavior we see from a service after Apple buys them?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Wait, IMO still supported other chat platforms? Seems most of them have been "broken" for ages.

Insert obligatory remarks about how we really need a standard messaging system, so that we don't have to have a dozen different clients installed on every device to keep in touch with everyone here.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Been using this service for years. Log in this morning. All my accounts are gone. No warning. No service announcement. No messages describing changes. I have to go searching for an article like this one to find out what the hell happened.

I just uninstalled all my IMO apps from all my devices. I can guarantee you nearly everyone else is too.

Who would disable all external IM services? That's the only reason to use it. Guess they don't mind shooting themselves in the feet with a double barrel shotgun. I mean what the hell!?

Quite unbelievable.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by swiftouch View Post

No warning. No service announcement. No messages describing changes.

Uh…

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In emails sent out to users on Friday, imo announced that it will be discontinuing support for all third-party instant messaging networks to focus on a build-out of its own platform.

But hey, if they want to lose all their customers, that’s fine by me.