Apple announces iOS-powered CarPlay infotainment system, to roll out later this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    ireland wrote: »
    The two Germans went with Goog. Shame. Two major omissions.

Correction: Two major additions.

They'll all end up with iOS. They'll all end up with Android too. Some just announced one before the other.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    imember wrote: »
    So that means when people pays 1 million for Lamborghini they gonna get some lag virus stealing data Android instead of iOS, are the Volkwagen group stupid? literally 90% who has a Lamborghini are using iPhones fact

Please Apple acquire Lamborghini from them!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, was just on Wikipedia after your comment. Never knew VW Group owned Bugatti, Bently, Porsche, Lamborghini, Ducati, Audi, and others.
  • Reply 23 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Amazing how many clueless people there are. Over at the Verge there are people who think the cars dash system won't work If they don't own an iPhone. Good grief. CarPlay is basically like AirPlay. If you don't own an iPhone then CarPlay won't display on the screen. I highly doubt auto manufacturers are going to look down their dash systems to iPhone only. Plus what if you don't have your phone on you? You don't get a working dash/radio? Come on people use your brain. If there are any special requirements then most likely it will be an option you can select when buying the car. If you don't select it, no CarPlay, no iPhone necessary,
  • Reply 24 of 89
    I like the tweaks they made to the UI. I much prefer the circular buttons to the rectangles. I'm glad some of the out of place rectangles in iOS 7 are moving to circles. More consistency.

20130918010701!IOS_in_the_Car.jpg

screen_phone.jpg
  • Reply 25 of 89

The 5 dots signal indicator really doesn't work in that second image. Because it's on its own line and carries no contextual information it looks odd. They should have stuck with the old signal indicator and faded out 'LTE' somewhat IMO.

Not a designer though!

• Reply 26 of 89
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    copeland wrote: »
    When hardwiring the phone can it then use the bigger antennas of the car

No. The "bigger antennas" are the wrong wavelength. With antennas, bigger is not better. The antenna length has to be matched to the frequency band of the signals you are trying to transmit or receive on.

Size matters! (But bigger is not necessarily better!)
  • Reply 27 of 89

The reason this took so long is because carmakers move at a glacial pace compared to the computer industry. How long did the world have small music devices of every type before carmakers included auxillary inputs?!? Answer: forever.

• Reply 28 of 89
    The 5 dots signal indicator really doesn't work in that second image. Because it's on its own line and carries no contextual information it looks odd. They should have stuck with the old signal indicator and faded out 'LTE' somewhat IMO.

Not a designer though!
    I'm guessing anyone that is running iOS 7 knows what the dots represent. But maybe they could have made them smaller and fit LTE next to them.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

It's good to see BMW and Ford on the CarPlay list.  

This is a revolution in car radio with support for Beats Radio, iHeartRadio, Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

This Year                                 Future

Ferrari                                       BMW

Honda                                      Chevrolet

Hyunday                                   Ford

Jaguar                                      KIA

Mercedes-Benz                        Land-Rover

Volvo                                        Mitsubishi

Nissan

Opel

Peugeot Citroën

Subaru

Suzuki

Toyota

iPhone owners, plan your car purchases carefully :)

Notably Missing Out:  :no: The Volkswagen group of cars including: AudiBentleyBugattiLamborghiniPorsche, BEAT and Volkswagen.

• Reply 30 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar View Post

No Volkswagen Group in the list.

That's a huge omission in my opinion.

It's a pity Audi partnered with Google on Android based car infotainment.

Why bother? They make terrible cars anyway...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/62383/german-cars-among-worst-engine-failures

• Reply 31 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacManFelix View Post

The reason this took so long is because carmakers move at a glacial pace compared to the computer industry. How long did the world have small music devices of every type before carmakers included auxillary inputs?!? Answer: forever.

I'd also like an OBD port next to the aux...

• Reply 32 of 89
    I'm surprised this isn't on the front page of apple.com
  • Reply 33 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by architecton View Post

Usually in your passenger footwell under the dash, and the irony being that the original head unit shown almost certainly had aux input. They were pretty common around that era.

Frankly these days more focus needs to be on incredibly simplistic HUD designs. The idea of on screen button controls that are simple circles I think is a mistake, it takes too long for pattern recognition to work.

On-wheel controls is a much better system, glad to see Apple is definitely integrating with them.

• Reply 34 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by architecton View Post

On my 2006 VW Passat the OBD is on the dash too, right next to the ashtray under a pop-off panel—very convenient. The factory stereo was also prewired for iPod control (30 pin, of course) and another, separate auxiliary in (standard 1/8" stereo phone jack). Half an hour and $50 later, I had decent control of my iPod Touch from the stereo head while iPod stays charged and relatively safe in the glove box.

The bad news is the stereo sounds like crap. The frequency response was quite obviously tuned for the American market: loose, heavily boosted bass for the all the idiots who are going deaf and making themselves yet more stupid listening to trash music; heavily boosted treble to compensate for their inevitable high frequency hearing loss. One must turn the bass and treble down to -9 to hear any midrange at all.

• Reply 35 of 89
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

The GUI is a bit disappointing - the setting icons on the left feel awkward and aligned to the top - the menu icon feels very non Jony. I can only assume that this part of the hardware from the car-maker

• Reply 36 of 89
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

Is that really a text message icon in the upper right?  Is that safe to use while driving?

• Reply 37 of 89
    buckalec wrote: »
    The GUI is a bit disappointing - the setting icons on the left feel awkward and aligned to the top - the menu icon feels very non Jony
    Which ones? The music icons are the same as the music app iOS.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

Is that really a text message icon in the upper right?  Is that safe to use while driving?

I think you're supposed to dictate it / have them read back to you. It seems likely to distract you though, hell navigation is bad enough.

• Reply 39 of 89
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    Eighteen months left on my lease. Lately have been getting Honda Pilots, but looking at the Ford Explorer next time around. Looks like by the 2016 models I should be good and this feature will have had significant "tire kicking" by then.
  • Reply 40 of 89
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Which ones? The music icons are the same as the music app iOS.

my mistake - realized that would be tied to the car maker, hence the legacy cd/dvd and ugly icons