US survey shows Apple's iPhone 5s has 'staying power,' while 5c is losing ground

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and then you'd have to look up the word "even", because it seems to have escaped you when I used that word in my comment.

I'm still not seeing you with my cocktail...

• Reply 42 of 64
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

Happy?  Run along, and when you come back I like fresh pineapple in my pina colada.  ;)

Nope, there's your comprehension problem.

I gave a context for calling it a flop. (... but not a failure)

Selling in droves was not in that context as was noted in the first paragraph.

Next.

• Reply 43 of 64
    Quote:

... and then you'd have to read what Mr. Cook said about the 5c not selling up to expectations and then apply that thought to the context of my comment.

My guess... this is all way beyond you.

Show us how smart you are... c'mon, you can do it.

Hey, don't back peddle, it's your idea that the 5C is a flop.  You've still got some work to do convincing your point.  Then again... it's a very small point at best.

BTW, forget about the tip - and they'll just update the colors, because the 5C is still selling, as will the 5sC in plastic.  I'll bet you the next round.

• Reply 44 of 64
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

Hey, don't back peddle, it's your idea that the 5C is a flop.  You've still got some work to do convincing your point.  Then again... it's a very small point at best.

BTW, forget about the tip - and they'll just update the colors, because the 5C is still selling, as will the 5sC in plastic.  I'll bet you the next round.

Back peddle?

Oh boy. This is obviously way over your head.

• Reply 45 of 64
    Quote:

Nope, there's your comprehension problem.

I gave a context for calling it a flop. (... but not a failure)

Selling in droves was not in that context as was noted in the first paragraph.

Next.

Quote:

Well, first of all, you'd have to point to the sentence in my comment that says I think it's a failure.... either that or just be a good boy and run along.

You clearly have no honor.

You didn't put conditions on me having to show that you provided context for calling it a failure.  Comprehend that?

You said it was a flop, now be a man, live up to your own word and buzz off.

• Reply 46 of 64
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    jungmark wrote: »
    If you like green and you wear a green outfits, I bet you want your iPhone to match.

Maybe but the thing with fashion is that people tend not to wear the same things all the time and why they tend to have neutral or complimentary colors in their accessories and jewellery. Navy blue can match a few things like jeans but green stands out too much.
    Women don't like gun metal color purses or space gray shoes.

That's why there's the white/gold and white/silver options:

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/study_men_women_love_gold_iphone_5s_equally_blue_most_popular_5c_color

"Men tended to prefer the space gray model while women tended toward the silver, although both women and men seemed to crave the gold iPhone 5s equally.
    iPhone 5s and 5c colors seem to confirm some traditional gender biases. In the iPhone 5c, men prefer the neutral white, and the space gray in the iPhone 5s. In contrast, women prefer [the] lighter silver 5s and the brighter iPhone 5c colors. Interestingly, no one, including the women in the survey, appears to want the yellow iPhone 5c very much."

It was a limited survey and the color variation might change worldwide.
    As for your xbox analogy, no gamer cares that it looks that bad (?). They only care what games you can play. It's not going to leave the house so you can't impress anyone with it. Somebody with an XBox isn't going to upgrade to the same systems it's because it's sleeker.

It's not always the aesthetics alone as they have other improvements but people like knowing they have the latest/best revision:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/24/ps3-slim-sells-1-million-units-in-3-weeks-chin-chin/
    Can you blame average margin falling just on the 5C or can you blame them on the 4S and 4 that are still being sold?

Given that it didn't sell so well, the blame for margins might be on the 5S being more expensive to make. The fingerprint sensor will have added some expense to the components along with the better camera, faster processor etc. The 5C has the same internals as the 5 but with a different outer case. They make more revenue with the 5S though.

There's a lot of trial and error with these things but I'd be surprised if the 5C is still in this year's lineup. They might be thinking that if they just put the fingerprint sensor in the 5C with the 5S internals, that'll boost the sales but I don't see that happening. What I hope they do is make 3 models:

Transform the iPod Touch into a phone-capable device with an external antenna using a case. This model can have a sim card slot on it to differentiate it from the iPod Touch. $399, multiple metal colors.
    The next up would be the iPhone 5S at $549, no changes.
    Then the iPhone 6 at $649 with edge-to-edge display, better camera, maybe tactile touch, their new payment system etc.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    I wasnt saying the 5c was a failure, I was respondibg to the inane sycophantic post of SudoNym. The sales numbers say the 5c wasnt a failure.

It is his mocking imitation of what he thinks Apple fans (iSheep) sound like. Don't respond. Flag his posts.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    IMO the 2 main things that kept the 5c from being a hit rather than just a good seller:
    1) price seperation... at least another $50 less expensive;

2) colors. Unnecessary SKUs for a device that has 100's of 3rd party case makers. Pearlescent-White, charcoal, and a luscious, sexy red lipstick color, would have been enough. Ms. Ahrendts will probably have some input into these choices next time around... thankfully!

As much as I like the idea of metal colored cases like the iPod, I still think Apple can be successful with a second-tier plastic iPhone if they get the above 2 points right next time around.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    In China, I haven't seen anyone using it - even though some people do buy 5C, most buying IOS phone in China choose 5S

In Hong Kong, you would see roughly 70% people using big screen smartphone. For iPhone users, most use 4S, 5 and 5S, you would see 1 person using 5C every three to four days. Yes, Hong Kong is small and Apple may not care. Likely it doesn't care about China either
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stanleywkl View Post

In China, I haven't seen anyone using it - even though some people do buy 5C, most buying IOS phone in China choose 5S

In Hong Kong, you would see roughly 70% people using big screen smartphone. For iPhone users, most use 4S, 5 and 5S, you would see 1 person using 5C every three to four days. Yes, Hong Kong is small and Apple may not care. Likely it doesn't care about China either

Didn't Apple just sign their first deal with China's big carrier like last month?

Don't care or some markets are more difficult to enter?  Apple seems to have gone to great trouble to make sure Chinese languages are supported on their products, so I'm guessing it isn't the former.  

The rest of the world should be happy that Silicon Valley companies are so accommodating to their crazy, weird regional customs and habits.  Mac OS, iOS, Android, etc.  could just all be in English... it takes tech companies lots of extra effort to make sure everyone else is compatible with progress.  ;) 

• Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I disagree. If you like green and you wear a green outfits, I bet you want your iPhone to match. Women don't like gun metal color purses or space gray shoes. The 5C may not be for tech types like us, but it isn't ugly by any stretch.

As for pushing sales towards Android, maybe, but I can't imagine it would affect the 5C more than it did the 4S last year or the 5 the year before that.

As for your xbox analogy, no gamer cares that it looks that bad (?). They only care what games you can play. It's not going to leave the house so you can't impress anyone with it. Somebody with an XBox isn't going to upgrade to the same systems it's because it's sleeker.

Can you blame average margin falling just on the 5C or can you blame them on the 4S and 4 that are still being sold?

I agree. iPhone 5C=women and children.

• Reply 52 of 64
    abedossabedoss Posts: 14member
    Can anyone tell Apple that they cannot sell cheap phones?
    We buy iPhone because they are the high end phones, even when we buy a n used one, we know it was at a day the high end phone.
    Now what is the difference between Apple's 5C and any other Lumia?
    Apple is falling again and becoming a regular company.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Abedoss View Post

Can anyone tell Apple that they cannot sell cheap phones?

What, like in a letter?

Now what is the difference between Apple's 5C and any other Lumia?

One’s an Apple product which we know is a high end product, as you said. The other is awful.

Apple is falling again and becoming a regular company.

You don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about.

• Reply 54 of 64
    What, like in a letter?

One’s an Apple product which we know is a high end product, as you said. The other is awful.

You don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about.

First, no not in a letter.

Second, the both is awful, do not fake it by apple logo.

Finally, track apple's history after firing Jobs in the late 80s and early 90s, and you will find how it now walks in the same way of being a regular company. Acquiring other companies will not keep apple's uniqueness, it is innovation what makes it unique.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Second, the both is awful

You could just tell us “I have never used an iPhone 5C” and save us this trouble.

Finally, track apple's history after firing Jobs in the late 80s and early 90s, and you will find how it now walks in the same way of being a regular company. Acquiring other companies will not keep apple's uniqueness, it is innovation what makes it unique.

Steve Jobs would never acquire a new company! Steve Jobs would never make a cheaper version of a product! Steve Jobs would never use plastic in a product case!

• Reply 56 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    abedoss wrote: »
    First, no not in a letter.

Second, the both is awful, do not fake it by apple logo.

You so don't know Apple.

The 5C isn't a terrible phone. It's the 5 but more colorful. It may not be for you, but you aren't everyone else.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Steve Jobs would never acquire a new company! Steve Jobs would never make a cheaper version of a product! Steve Jobs would never use plastic in a product case!

"steve would never create jobs"
  • Reply 58 of 64
  • Reply 59 of 64
    You so don't know Apple.

The 5C isn't a terrible phone. It's the 5 but more colorful. It may not be for you, but you aren't everyone else.

think selling charts said enough about that, and even Apple executives.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Quote:

'.' indeed.