Gartner ignores Apple's sales numbers, reports Android marketshare doubled iPad in 2013

Comments

• Reply 41 of 165

macbook air, mac mini, Ipad mini, 3rd gen Ipad... I don't think so jungy.. I'm still waiting for the iwatch let alone a big iPad or iPhone..

• Reply 42 of 165
    I travel a great deal and have seldom seen an Android tablet in use. Kindle book readers, yes, Android tablets no. Simply go into a Costco and see the absolute absence of buyers around the Samsung land other tablets. Since Costco has a large TV agreement with Samsung they carry their tablets, but according to the folks working at Costco, few tablets are actually sold. These numbers a are bogus.
  • Reply 43 of 165
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Android tablets market share is surging, especially Samsung's market share is remarkable. Apple needs to come up with innovation soon.

I guess you didn't read the last quarterly report.

• Reply 44 of 165
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Android tablets market share is surging, especially Samsung's market share is remarkable. Apple needs to come up with innovation soon.

Boy, more coming crawling out of the woodwork..... Relentless.

• Reply 45 of 165
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member

I have seen exactly one tablet that was neither an iPad nor a Kindle. A photographer had brought his portfolio on a no-name cheap Android tablet to interview for a position I had open. The only thing I could think the entire time was how terrible the screen quality was compared to an iPad. I tried to be sympathetic to the fact that maybe he couldn't afford anything better, but the presentation of his work was so unflattering on the cheap tablet it was hard not to be distracted by that fact. I should note that I have similar reactions when people come in with poorly printed physical portfolios as well--or cheap fitting suits for that matter. Let's face it, when you are going for a job interview you should borrow the money if necessary to make  good presentation.

• Reply 46 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Firelock View Post

I have seen exactly one tablet that was neither an iPad nor a Kindle. A photographer had brought his portfolio on a no-name cheap Android tablet to interview for a position I had open. The only thing I could think the entire time was how terrible the screen quality was compared to an iPad. I tried to be sympathetic to the fact that maybe he couldn't afford anything better, but the presentation of his work was so unflattering on the cheap tablet it was hard not to be distracted by that fact. I should note that I have similar reactions when people come in with poorly printed physical portfolios as well--or cheap fitting suits for that matter. Let's face it, when you are going for a job interview you should borrow the money if necessary to make  good presentation.

It's strange that a photographer would put his work on an Android tablet. From comments that I've heard from owners, Android seems to have a problem when it comes to storing and retrieving photos.

• Reply 47 of 165
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It's strange that a photographer would put his work on an Android tablet. From comments that I've heard from owners, Android seems to have a problem when it comes to storing and retrieving photos.

That would come down to user errors.  Android has no problems storing and/or retrieving photos.  In fact, Android is pretty compatible with anything you throw at it.  The only thing I've had problems connecting an Android device to was an iMac.  It turns out there are 3rd party solutions to connect the two but I didn't know about them at the time.  That was some time ago so it's possible that those solutions aren't even necessary anymore.

• Reply 48 of 165
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    sharpdave wrote: »
    I must say being an Apple fan boy for such a long time I got tired of waiting for a phone that did not require bifocals.. so I bought a Note III and found it superior in every way except for build Quality... and it's still not to shabby. I'm looking at the sammy 12 inch tab, I like the idea of multi tasking.. Apple better start moving faster or it's only going to get worse for them
    here we go - a new troll on the scene...
  • Reply 49 of 165
    tiadimundotiadimundo Posts: 153member
    Quote:

End users

There you have it!

• Reply 50 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

That would come down to user errors.  Android has no problems storing and/or retrieving photos.  In fact, Android is pretty compatible with anything you throw at it.  The only thing I've had problems connecting an Android device to was an iMac.  It turns out there are 3rd party solutions to connect the two but I didn't know about them at the time.  That was some time ago so it's possible that those solutions aren't even necessary anymore.

To say that "user error" is responsible says a lot. I had originally put the words "intuition problem" in my comment but removed them. I wish now that I had left them in place.

• Reply 51 of 165
    While doing some changes to my phone account at Sprint, they offered me a FREE samsung tablet, I just had to pay for the data plan with a 2 year contract. I said NO, NO, NO, NO, but thanks.

Thats how samsung is moving their tablets, for free with 2 year commitment,!!!!
  • Reply 52 of 165
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sharpdave View Post

I must say being an Apple fan boy for such a long time I got tired of waiting for a phone that did not require bifocals.. so I bought a Note III and found it superior in every way except for build Quality... and it's still not to shabby. I'm looking at the sammy 12 inch tab, I like the idea of multi tasking.. Apple better start moving faster or it's only going to get worse for them

Yeah, you're full of it. You could have modified the astroturfer guide-template just a tad. Would have been  a bit more believable. Let's see:

1. "I'm the biggest Apple fan"- check. 

2. "I gotta say I love Samsung Product X"- check. 

3. "Better than iOS Product X in every way" -check.

4. Insert mild compliment to Apple to make post more believable- check. 

5. "My next product will be Samsung product X"- check. 

6. Mention multi-tasking. -check. 

7. "Apple better get their shit together or its game-over"-check.

Got em all in a couple lines. Pathetic. How much did you get paid for that post? Why is it that even paid celebrities who are given insane amounts of money to use Samsung devices refuse to do so? And yeah, Apple is smashing sales and profit records every year, I hope it keeps going "worse for them" as you say. They're in such a dreadful situation with that $1,700,000,000 in the bank. 

• Reply 53 of 165
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Wow, I thought Gartner was moderately accurate. The fact that they ignored Apple's reported sales figures suggests that Gartner is no longer a trusted source. I would have believed that Android is surging, probably it is, but clearly we can't get an accurate picture about the market by looking at anything Gartner has to say going forward. 4 million units, wow.

Can we get some more reliable metrics posted please so we can get an actual picture of the emerging market?  Thanks.

• Reply 54 of 165
    More sh!t from the anal-cysts.
  • Reply 55 of 165
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    I work at a large hospital in Los Angeles, where I used to see only iPads, I'm now seeing a mix of other tablets, but it's literally taken years for this to happen.

Today, I saw perhaps 20 iPads, and a handful of cheap Android tablets, 1 Samsung Galaxy Tab 10", and IIRC, 3 Kindle's (e-readers, not the forked Android tablets)
  • Reply 56 of 165

Dave, if you're living a sheltered life, then so am I. Have never seen an Android tablet in the wild either. They're just not there. I'm convinced that Samsung is shipping all their tablets, phablets, and phones to a huge warehouse in the middle of a desert just so they can technically report more shipments than Apple reports sales. In my area, iPhones outnumber Sammy's by at least 12 to 1. It would be great if the SEC could investigate all the shady journalism..it seems as if Gartner is in Samsung's back pocket.

• Reply 57 of 165
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xflare View Post

This analysis and report is up at Android Central with the usual Apple is doomed slant.

I saw the article and it's no more than 10% as slanted as any AI article in the opposite direction.  Stop pot stirring.

• Reply 58 of 165
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    herbapou wrote: »
    If the 70 millions is the number they came up with there way to finding sales and the real number is 74 millions, then that means they are right on with other devices...

I don't see nexus tablets up there, so they are in the "other" category, which could mean a good chunck of sales are Nexus.  

Apple is losing on unit ships or market shares on both phones and tablets... , I don't see how denying it is helping in anything...

They are made by ASUS.
  • Reply 59 of 165
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    sflocal wrote: »
    A couple years ago, a co-worker approached me to troubleshoot his "iPad".  It would not connect to our WiFi network.  Well, in under a second, I realized it was not an iPad, but a bonafide $50 chinese knock-off tablet.

This is where the bulk of Android "sales" are coming from.  I never see anyone at the Samsung Kiosks at Best Buy and Costco buying those things.  It's always a ghost-town in that area.  It's the $50 knockoff-crap the Chinese factories are peddling.

Yeah, they reported 3 million off-label tablets in 2012 in China per month (36m per year), it could easily have scaled up to 60 million in 2013:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403060,00.asp

That may also explain why so many tablets are not registering in ad networks for usage.

In the US, Apple dominates the sales by about 2:1:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/12/report-apples-ipad-has-dominated-us-tablet-sales-in-2013

Android tablets have a high growth rate but that's to be expected as most people at the premium price point already have an iPad.
  • Reply 60 of 165
    I, too, never see android tablets in the wild. I have a sister and brother in law who prefer android, because no reason, literally. My brother in law just decided to be an android person and dislike apple - it was really funny. Not to be offensive, but it's probably best he's on androids side. Anyways, my sister doesn't care too much, and bought an ipad. Now he's bought one. But he wants to say he likes android better so he bought two cheap android tablets. I have actually never seen him use either one, one time. She's never used them. They're always playing games on the iPad, and she makes posters with it. I couldn't even tell you what the other tablets look like.

My dad wanted to buy an android tablet because he's trying to save money. I advised him to get an iPad anyway, but he bought a $40 android tablet. When it came in the mail, the screen looked like it was made from a ziplock bag. Anyways, he didn't use it more than a few minutes, total. He ordered a $70 android tablet, came in the mail, he never used it more than a few minutes. Hated to see the money go down the drain. I wouldn't be too surprised if this story is common.