Gartner ignores Apple's sales numbers, reports Android marketshare doubled iPad in 2013

Comments

• Reply 61 of 165
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

To say that "user error" is responsible says a lot. I had originally put the words "intuition problem" in my comment but removed them. I wish now that I had left them in place.

Yeah, I have an aunt with "intuition problems."  I tried to talk her into an iPad but she wouldn't listen.  She brought me her Android tablet one day because she couldn't get on the Internet anymore.  I looked at her main home screen and there was the icon clear as day.  "Oooooh, it's called browser!" was her response...

• Reply 62 of 165
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    I dunno. I could very well be living a very sheltered existence where I am, but, I've only ever seen iPads and Kindles (the original and Paperwhite - not the Fire versions.) I've never seen an Android tablet "in the wild" - i.e., not for sale on a shelf, but actually being used by someone. Same for a Surface - I've seen one for sale in Staples, but have never seen one that has been purchased.

Yeah, it's not right to extrapolate my personal observations to the rest of the market; I just find it odd that I haven't seen anyone using one of the kabillions of Android tablets that're supposed to be running around out there.
    Same here.
    Once in a while you see someone with some stupid looking phablet to their head, but pretty much everyone out here uses iPhones, and if they have a tablet, iPad.

Considering that Microsoft, Samsung and Apple all have their stores in the same mall, you'd think I'd see more of them. Microsoft has this nice big free-wifi Xbox One kiosk outside Target, while the majority of their store seems to be decorated in Xbox One marketing, same copycat store feely type as Apple. Apple is Apple and every product is showcased. Samsung's store is a little weird, as they flog their electronics (eg TV's) but nothing large enough that someone could walk out of the store with it. Same design as Apple.

In fact the weird thing is, both Microsoft and Samsung are blatantly copying the look and feel of the Apple store, but are only having limited success in sales. You'd be forgiven if you thought the Microsoft store was just an Xbox One store. Even when I went inside Target, I saw the PS4 and the Wii U section and failed to notice the Xbox One, if it was even there.

The point is that anyone who operates a website can tell you, in very clear numbers that next to nobody is using an Android device in any significant amount, and pretty much nobody is using the cheap devices.

Apple (54.58%)
    Samsung (18.01%)
    Everyone else has single digits.

That is a far cry from what we see reported in the media.
  • Reply 63 of 165
    peter236 wrote: »
    Android tablets market share is surging, especially Samsung's market share is remarkable. Apple needs to come up with innovation soon.
    Why? They already have most of the profit.
    512ke wrote: »
    Wow, I thought Gartner was moderately accurate. The fact that they ignored Apple's reported sales figures suggests that Gartner is no longer a trusted source. I would have believed that Android is surging, probably it is, but clearly we can't get an accurate picture about the market by looking at anything Gartner has to say going forward. 4 million units, wow.

Can we get some more reliable metrics posted please so we can get an actual picture of the emerging market?  Thanks.
    It's possible the Apple sales numbers were released to late for inclusion.
    sharpdave wrote: »
    I must say being an Apple fan boy for such a long time I got tired of waiting for a phone that did not require bifocals.. so I bought a Note III and found it superior in every way except for build Quality... and it's still not to shabby. I'm looking at the sammy 12 inch tab, I like the idea of multi tasking.. Apple better start moving faster or it's only going to get worse for them
    No Apple fan calls themselves an "Apple fan boy" unless they aren't and then, if they preferred something else, they wouldn't be. I doubt you were once an Apple fan at all.
  • Reply 64 of 165
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Can’t Apple sue Gartner for misrepresentation and damages to image and name?

• Reply 65 of 165
    rf9 wrote: »
    So which tablet took nearly all of the profits last year?

Which OS brought in a larger dollar amount of purchases (for apps, games, or movies?)
    Which tablet is overwhelmingly used by enterprise?

Which tablet is overwhelmingly used by education?

Which table is overwhelmingly used to surf and shop the internet?

Which table is the ONLY tablet approved by the GSA for government purchase?

Which tablet can be warranteed for three years?

Which tablet is automatically synced with iPhones, iPod Touches, and desktop computers?
  • Reply 66 of 165
    Can’t Apple sue Gartner for misrepresentation and damages to image and name?

In the United States it is not a crime to be stupid or Consumer Reports would have been sued out of existence 40+ years ago.
  • Reply 67 of 165
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

It's possible the Apple sales numbers were released to late for inclusion.
    Apple released the Dec numbers in January. Is it too hard for Gartner to update their Excel file?

I want Gartner to expand this "other" category.
  • Reply 68 of 165
    I, too, never see android tablets in the wild. I have a sister and brother in law who prefer android, because no reason, literally. My brother in law just decided to be an android person and dislike apple - it was really funny. Not to be offensive, but it's probably best he's on androids side. Anyways, my sister doesn't care too much, and bought an ipad. Now he's bought one. But he wants to say he likes android better so he bought two cheap android tablets. I have actually never seen him use either one, one time. She's never used them. They're always playing games on the iPad, and she makes posters with it. I couldn't even tell you what the other tablets look like.

My dad wanted to buy an android tablet because he's trying to save money. I advised him to get an iPad anyway, but he bought a $40 android tablet. When it came in the mail, the screen looked like it was made from a ziplock bag. Anyways, he didn't use it more than a few minutes, total. He ordered a $70 android tablet, came in the mail, he never used it more than a few minutes. Hated to see the money go down the drain. I wouldn't be too surprised if this story is common.

If you want to see a ton of Android tablets, go to garage sales in the spring. Never used and many still in the plastic-wrapped box with bits of christmas paper still attached. Be sure to look for them in the box with VCR and 8-track tapes.

Cheap-assed no-name tablets make good Christmas gifts from cheap-assed relatives to a kid they hardly care about. Once the kid sees it's not an iPad he has a fit and tosses the tablet back under the tree. Most adults that get a brand-x tablet don't know the difference and will take it out of the box and try to use it. You can't fool a kid over four-years-old.
  • Reply 69 of 165
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teongo View Post

As a user of the third iPad i don't care about their research. As an investor of aapl for the past 14 years, i really don't care about those idiots.

Yes, but as an Apple investor you should. Those idiots are trying to undermine your investment, by putting out the false impression that iPad sales are falling. Major news sources pick up their headlines. 

• Reply 70 of 165
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

In the United States it is not a crime to be stupid or Consumer Reports would have been sued out of existence 40+ years ago.

No, but it is libelous to report numbers you know are not true if the numbers damage Apple's reputation. 

• Reply 71 of 165
    Where are all these Android tablets? The only place I ever see them is in stores like Best Buy. I was in a board meeting last week with 12 other directors around the table. There were 11 iPads and 2 Mac Airs. No other tablets and no PCs at all.

I really never see Android tablets around the university where I teach.
  • Reply 72 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So some $50 POS Android tablet means Apple is doomed? Take your popcorn and... well, you know.

You're still trying to reason with Patpatpat? I gave up a long time ago.

• Reply 73 of 165
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I pity the fools who buy the tripe that firms like Gartner put out.

Wall Street Hedge Funds, Ad companies.

• Reply 74 of 165

Here's my take on it.  I'm going to assume these numbers are more or less right (yes, I know the iPad number is slightly off) because I don't have evidence to the contrary.  I think the reason you might see more iPads in public is twofold:

1.  There is not a compelling reason to buy a large Android tablet.  The app ecosystem isn't complete yet like it is on the iPad.  The only Android tablets that currently make sense are in the 7" to 8" class.

2.  Since Android users are more likely than iPhone users to own an Android tablet and since the average Android phone is so large, Android users won't feel compelled to take their (likely small) Android tablets with them on the way out the door.  If I had a 5" phone, I wouldn't see a reason to carry around an extra device.  My phone would be sufficient for media consumption and internet browsing on the go.

• Reply 75 of 165
    teongoteongo Posts: 11member
    I am in long,. I am more worry about what aapl will do, not aapl did!
  • Reply 76 of 165
    bwana_dik wrote: »
    Where are all these Android tablets? The only place I ever see them is in stores like Best Buy. I was in a board meeting last week with 12 other directors around the table. There were 11 iPads and 2 Mac Airs. No other tablets and no PCs at all.

I really never see Android tablets around the university where I teach.

I never see anything other than iPads either. But I'm in the US.

We're forgetting about the sheer volume of tablets in the rest of the world.

For instance... look at the chart in this article. 60 million "other" tablets sold in 2013. Those are mostly cheap, no-name Android tablets that we've never heard of. They give Android tablets a huge worldwide market share number... but I'm not actually seeing anything good coming from that.

The same thing happens with smartphones too. On tech websites... we only ever talk about a handful Android phones: Galaxy S, Note, LG something, HTC One and Moto X/G

But Android's smartphone market share is mostly made up of cheap garbage phones sold around the world. So when people say "ZOMG Android 80% market share!!!" I just shake my head. There's nothing gained from those.... other than the headline "Android dominates smartphone market share"

Don't worry though... a $50 Android tablet or Android phone sold in a developing nation isn't taking a sale away from an iPad or iPhone. Apple shouldn't be worried... they sell more than enough iPads and iPhones to exactly the right customers. And they're selling more every year... attracting more developers and accessory makers to grow the iOS ecosystem even further.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Android market share makes a great headline... but there's no compelling story after that.
  • Reply 77 of 165
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It would be interesting to see how their figures change if Samsung switches to Tizen.  Will that white box Android figure mysteriously drop, giving Tizen the lead?

• Reply 78 of 165
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Android tablets market share is surging, especially Samsung's market share is remarkable. Apple needs to come up with innovation soon.

...maybe something like 64bit?

• Reply 79 of 165
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Here's my take on it.  I'm going to assume these numbers are more or less right (yes, I know the iPad number is slightly off) because I don't have evidence to the contrary.  I think the reason you might see more iPads in public is twofold:

1.  There is not a compelling reason to buy a large Android tablet.  The app ecosystem isn't complete yet like it is on the iPad.  The only Android tablets that currently make sense are in the 7" to 8" class.

2.  Since Android users are more likely than iPhone users to own an Android tablet and since the average Android phone is so large, Android users won't feel compelled to take their (likely small) Android tablets with them on the way out the door.  If I had a 5" phone, I wouldn't see a reason to carry around an extra device.  My phone would be sufficient for media consumption and internet browsing on the go.

Except the majority of Android phones sold have small screens and are cheap, this can easily be seen by the pitiful amounts of money Android vendors make and the absence of high end large screened phones using the web.

The vast majority of Android users don't have 5" phones.

• Reply 80 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Except the majority of Android phones sold have small screens and are cheap, this can easily be seen by the pitiful amounts of money Android vendors make and the absence of high end large screened phones using the web.

The vast majority of Android users don't have 5" phones.

No that's not true.  Profitability has nothing to do with what type of phones are being sold.  Device margins, on the other hand, could provide that insight.  I don't know where you saw what size of screens are using the web.

DED recently wrote an article that said that the S4 and Note combined to sell 2/3 of the amount of iPhones Apple sold.  All the other brands' flagship phones are 4.7" and above, and the midrange phones are generally 4.5" and above.  It's not reasonable to say that HTC, LG, Motorola, Sony, Samsung (in midrange sales), and all the other smaller brands are not more than making up that remaining third of iPhone sales in large-screened devices.  There are FAR more devices sold with screen sizes close to 5" than close to 4".