Apple announces iOS-powered CarPlay infotainment system, to roll out later this year

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Looks good!

At the bottom of Apple's CarPlay page, it says that it's compatible with iPhone 5S, 5C, and 5. So, it probably works via Bluetooth with your phone, which is like how our 2014 Honda CR-V works with our phones now.

Looking forward to it reading texts and accepting dictation, as well as picking up addresses for driving directions from contacts.

Lots of manufacturers lined up, too.

It does not work with Bluetooth, it requires a hardwire connection for the UI transfer.  The screen shots are the 2014 Honda Civic with the DisplayAudio stereo system that supports CarPlay.  The iPhone connection is by USB and HDMI, and requires the HDMI iPhone adapter to plug into the vehicle.  The 2014 has dual USB ports (one in the center console for an iPod, and one below the dash next to an HDMI port for the CarPlay connection).  Honda's Navi works far better than Apple's crappy Map app.

• Reply 82 of 89
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

The GUI is a bit disappointing - the setting icons on the left feel awkward and aligned to the top - the menu icon feels very non Jony. I can only assume that this part of the hardware from the car-maker

You have no clue what you are talking about.  The CarPlay compatible stereos are nothing but touchscreen display stereos.  So when you plug in your iPhone via HDMI and USB, the UI comes from the iPhone via iOS 7.  If the iPhone is not plugged in, the touchscreen displays the audio settings and/or Navi from the stereo itself to function as a regular stereo.  The concept is ease of use while driving.  Simple icons are what is needed in the car.

• Reply 83 of 89
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    hillstones wrote: »
    It does not work with Bluetooth, it requires a hardwire connection for the UI transfer.  The screen shots are the 2014 Honda Civic with the DisplayAudio stereo system that supports CarPlay.  The iPhone connection is by USB and HDMI, and requires the HDMI iPhone adapter to plug into the vehicle.  The 2014 has dual USB ports (one in the center console for an iPod, and one below the dash next to an HDMI port for the CarPlay connection).  Honda's Navi works far better than Apple's crappy Map app.
    This is a great comment, with exception of the last line, which is a matter of opinion, and one not shared by everyone, as it clearly depends on your location. Technically, the app itself gets great reviews, from what I've seen, it is the data that some people find issue with.
  • Reply 84 of 89
    The name CarPlay has to be a preemptive strike at Google is it not?

Not necessarily: synergy with Airplay.
  • Reply 85 of 89
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    I am not impressed by this. SIRI is useless outside of USA, so are Maps. I've tried to use turn by turn on my iPhone to find places but it just won't find them. Google is 100000x ahead in this space. So is the UI, just looks ugly in a Ferrari. If I would be buying a Ferrari I sure wouldn't like to have these UI on my dash...
  • Reply 86 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Jume View Post

SIRI is useless outside of USA, so are Maps.

Thanks for the lies early. I stopped reading here. Saved me some time.

• Reply 87 of 89
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Correction: Two major additions.

They'll all end up with iOS. They'll all end up with Android too. Some just announced one before the other.

I was thinking the same.

Much as I could find out quickly, car system actually works on Blackberry owned QNX infotainment platform with all the required components for smart-device link. I'm pretty sure link is universal and will work with Android, WP, Blackberry phones - as long as their developers write/include required code for linking in upcoming OS updates...
  • Reply 88 of 89
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    ah, this reopens the classic "open vs. closed" topic.

car makers now have to choose whether their built-in Nav/Entertainment systems will work  fully with any brand ecosystem - Apple, Google, and others like MS - or are optimized for just one of them or some other proprietary service of that car maker.

(i'm not talking about simple bluetooth calling, i'm mean systems that run apps etc.)

Ford just announced it will switch from its own system - provided by MS and buggy - to a QNX core system. now it announces that will work with iOS CarPlay. i expect it will also work with whatever Google comes up with. so Ford would be taking an "open" approach. too bad for MS.

and any maker that supports iOS poorly puts itself at a strong disadvantage in the US market at least. we'll see how that plays out. they want to charge a lot extra for these Nav systems, and Droids don't like to pay.

I found somewhere that Ford's problem wasn't core system itself, but apps - whose development was conveniently contracted to 3rd party developers. If this is true, I hope Ford will not repeat same mistake with whatever platform they chose for next generation.
  • Reply 89 of 89
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

what i hope happens:

aftermarket carplay--i have a honda odyssey love to be able to add carplay for tha great 7" screen.

Texting solution:  i use siri and my plantronics earbud to handle limited texting(honda handsfree not very accurate) , reply to text while driving but the lag and UI is very much lacking.  any of you who have used siri for initiating and reply to text will understand.  Though i don't use it but infrequently, i'd like a simple interface to read new texts, send and reply.

bluetooth and wired access.   i usually plug my iPhone in to charge while driving so no big deal BUT like the option

Multi user profiles---

hope hope for aftermarket solution

I use a plantronics m165 with the silicon ear inserts rather than the over the ear loop --the most amazingly comfortable ear bug i have ever used.

Any earbud out there BETTER for using siri.???   I have to hold down the answer button 3 seconds to open siri now--"read new texts"  

also apple or someone needs to make an after market "siri" button i can add to my steering wheel or dash

any insights??

please clarify______ does carplay require usb AND  hdmi or BOTH.   what's this talk of hdmi adapter.   i hope it just means i plug in my iPhone using my usb lightning connector so it charges my iPhone as i use carplay.

thanks