Gartner ignores Apple's sales numbers, reports Android marketshare doubled iPad in 2013

Comments

• Reply 101 of 165
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    yeah it was all the $50 table with some old version of Android being sold at places like PepBoys and other places to help pull in consumers to buy cheap stuff.

Don't forget Kohls et al. Some of those versions are so old it's ridiculous. But I guess if you are including tablets that your 3 year old can play with then you get those numbers. These analyst have they particular bias no matter what we say. Hey for years in the PC space MS dominated for the same reasons. Software was on multiple OEMs. And I fell for that. Now I have an iMac I hardly look at my PC. There has to be an option for those who don't want to pay to get the best. I'm not saying Android or all other smartphones suck. But it's not iOS and they are not Apple IMO. I'll stick with the best no matter analyst chatter.
  • Reply 102 of 165
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I see Androids in the wild. I see people actually using them too.
  • Reply 103 of 165
    bigjimbigjim Posts: 20member
    I'm also sticking with the best. Samsung android phone with much larger screen. Apple will get there. Several years late. Or maybe ship iPhone with a magnifying glass.

PS Google is no Microsoft. Android is no Windows.
  • Reply 104 of 165
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by BigJim View Post

I'm also sticking with the best. Samsung android phone with much larger screen.

What do these two sentences have to do with each other? I’m confused.

PS Google is no Microsoft. Android is no Windows.

Yeah, they sure didn’t both steal from Apple and create a copyist product or anything¡

• Reply 105 of 165
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

You're still trying to reason with Patpatpat? I gave up a long time ago.

Nothing to reason with, I never made any argument or agreement with the article. I just mentioned I was going to sit back and watch the fanbois battle it out. Suckers.

• Reply 106 of 165
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I live in Portugal and Apple products are not the norm at all (just like in the large majorities of countries). Most people do not know what iOS or OS X are. Are they stupid? Well, more than me surely, but that's not their fault. Apple has 0 presence here, not even a store.

I see Android tablets everyday (few Nexus), even some surface RT on campus (it was a promotion for us, with huge discounts) and more Galaxys with big screens than iPhones. If you compare Android with iOS it's something like 50 to 1.

For starters, I'm tired to explain to some people that there's much more to a quality of a camera than MP, more to screen quality than resolution and more to UI speed than number of cores. That's Apple's job, and they don't give a ****.

As far as I'm concerned, these numbers are fabulous for Apple, that is a shame. They do not need so much money (they even are throwing it away to shareholders) and they still don't give a **** for countries outside the US, UK, nordic countries and china.

We can try to bend the truth as we please, but there's no way to justify lack of official stores in european countries, and the support and brand recognition that comes with it. Just like you can't justify not having a bigger screen option.

Local laws, govt officials, bureaucracy, taxes, etc.

The only irrefutable fact is that there are far more 4.5+" devices being sold than iPhones, and most of them are flagships.
    That's all we need to know to understand how stupid Apple is about the subject.

And before "they" arrive, yes we now more than Apple about this. Companies **** things up sometimes, it wouldn't be a first for Apple, for example.
    "irrefutable fact" should have real stats.
  • Reply 107 of 165
    You lot are in denial. Samsung, and android, took apple out to the woodshed. Anyone want to bet me where the trend will be after another year? I didn't think so. Article and fanbois whine about a few decimal points.
  • Reply 108 of 165
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    peter236 wrote: »
    Android tablets market share is surging, especially Samsung's market share is remarkable. Apple needs to come up with innovation soon.

Then why have Samsungs shares fallen in the last year? I bought a Samsung Tablet for myself last year and a cheap android tablet for my daughter. The cheap android is stuck on ICS and never comes out of its box. The Samsung tablet is the only tablet I have ever purchased that has a crack in the case. I use it mainly for watching catch up tv as the keyboard is not responsive enough to do anything else on. These are counted in the huge increase I android tablets, but I will probably never get an Android tablet again.
  • Reply 109 of 165
    lol

like it or not, they will probably make the best 4.5" screen ever, with software designed especially for that screen size and it will blow away the competition on user experience. Unfortunately for you, that's what Apple is about. We know it, we like it.
    You like waiting... How many years? And counting. Samsung Galaxy Note has been out two and a half years now. I'll send you a free magnifying glass in the mean time...
  • Reply 110 of 165
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

“20% marketshare is ‘a few decimal points’.”

Shut up and go away.

• Reply 111 of 165
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    bigjim wrote: »
    You lot are in denial. Samsung, and android, took apple out to the woodshed. Anyone want to bet me where the trend will be after another year? I didn't think so. Article and fanbois whine about a few decimal points.

I did not realize making the majority of the profits was called the woodshed.
  • Reply 112 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

All I ever see is 3.5 inch screens on the bus.  I never see anything except iPhones.  And that is not anecdotal - it is real.

That is the definition of an anecdote.

• Reply 113 of 165
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:

You like waiting... How many years? And counting. Samsung Galaxy Note has been out two and a half years now. I'll send you a free magnifying glass in the mean time...

I'm a patient man, and the most innovative company on earth deserves my patience. They were wrong with the one size fits all theory, but they will fix it, like they did on every category since forever (iMac, iPad, iPod, etc.).

Meanwhile you are right: The note is here, today, so why bother waiting? The galaxy note has lower build quality, worse battery life on tasks like 4g browsing, much slower UI with some strange lag and stutter, worse ecosystem with the apps that were also designed for my s3 mini (not optimized for the note at all) and the design of the device is pathetic. The S-pen is useless (from my own experience) for handwriting. The camera (both) is also inferior.

We are also talking about of a company that doesn't update most products (the european s3 won't get kitkat!), sucks at designing SoC (the pathetic exynos is one reason for the s3 not getting kitkat, while the qualcomm s3 mini will get it), manipulates the media, and is as close as a "mafia" corporation as you can get.

Also Android is lacking from productive/quality software, companies do not respect holo at all (facebook, twitter, messenger, whatsapp, etc) and we get second rate iOS versions.

Despite all that, I found a great deal for a brand new s3 mini, 6 months ago. And I'm waiting for Apple, no worries. So yeah, I consider myself an informed man about this subject. Having said that, I would like that magnifying glass, the s3 mini screen kills me. Thank god for my MBA.

p.s: I won't mention samsung software.

Is the note better than my s3 mini?

Hell yeah.

Is the note an well priced device?

Not at all. For what you get, It should be less expensive than the superior Moto X.

Is it better than the iPhone?

lol

• Reply 114 of 165
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

No that's not true.  Profitability has nothing to do with what type of phones are being sold.  Device margins, on the other hand, could provide that insight.  I don't know where you saw what size of screens are using the web.

DED recently wrote an article that said that the S4 and Note combined to sell 2/3 of the amount of iPhones Apple sold.  All the other brands' flagship phones are 4.7" and above, and the midrange phones are generally 4.5" and above.  It's not reasonable to say that HTC, LG, Motorola, Sony, Samsung (in midrange sales), and all the other smaller brands are not more than making up that remaining third of iPhone sales in large-screened devices.  There are FAR more devices sold with screen sizes close to 5" than close to 4".

You are just making shit up.

Like most things to do with Android everything is based on assumptions with no basis in reality.

• Reply 115 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Yeah there are a lot of low end phones sold. Let's say half of all Android phones sold are low end. That still means that there are twice as many mid to high end Android phones sold as iPhones, and that would mean there would be twice as many large-screened Android phones as iPhones.

I doubt anyone shopping for a low end phone is also in the market for a tablet, so let's assume the market of tablet buyers consists of iPhone users and mid to high end Android users. Based on the earlier assumptions, Android users make up 2/3 of those tablet buyers, and all of those Android users are likely using large screened phones, which means they are less likely to carry a tablet around.

Let's just make shit up to suit our arguments.

The Android dilemma.

The trouble for Apple is, people just lap that shit up.

• Reply 116 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

Which apps that you use are exclusive to the ipad ?

Anything requiring 64bit.

• Reply 117 of 165
    hill60 wrote: »
    Let's just make shit up to suit our arguments.

The Android dilemma.

The trouble for Apple is, people just lap that shit up.

You should talk to DED. He's the biggest fanboy ever and he wrote the article.

Edit - I meant to quote your other reply.
  • Reply 118 of 165
    sharpdave wrote: »
    I must say being an Apple fan boy for such a long time I got tired of waiting for a phone that did not require bifocals.. so I bought a Note III and found it superior in every way except for build Quality... and it's still not to shabby. I'm looking at the sammy 12 inch tab, I like the idea of multi tasking.. Apple better start moving faster or it's only going to get worse for them

SUAGA.
  • Reply 119 of 165
    peter236 wrote: »
    Android tablets market share is surging, especially Samsung's market share is remarkable. Apple needs to come up with innovation soon.

You

The only irrefutable fact is that there are far more 4.5+" devices being sold than iPhones, and most of them are flagships.
    That's all we need to know to understand how stupid Apple is about the subject.

And before "they" arrive, yes we now more than Apple about this. Companies **** things up sometimes, it wouldn't be a first for Apple, for example.

The only irrefutable fact about your statement is how stupid it is.
  • Reply 120 of 165
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Amazing isn't it.  Apple have their European headquarters in Ireland, even used to manufacture some stuff here, and yet, there still isn't a single Apple store in the country.

Yes, i would say 50:1

Not amazing at all. The rich, important countries have Apple stores, the poor, less important ones don't.