Apple expected to ship iOS 7.1 'any day now,' will support new iTunes Festival app

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
With the U.S. debut of the iTunes Festival set to kick off next week, Apple will reportedly update its iOS application to support live streaming of the concerts from the SXSW festival -- but not before the iOS 7.1 update is issued to iPhone and iPad owners.

Animation

The well-connected John Gruber of Daring Fireball reported on Tuesday that a "little birdie" told him the new iTunes Festival application will require iOS 7.1 Based on that tip, iOS 7.1 is expected to ship "any day now" to end users.

AppleInsider was also told weeks ago that iOS 7.1 is expected to arrive in March. Ahead of the update's launch, Apple debuted new mass deployment tools last week, making it easier for IT professionals to launch large numbers of iOS devices in enterprise or education settings.

Pre-release versions of iOS 7 have been supplied to developers for testing since last November, making it a particularly lengthy beta period.

Since iOS 7 launched last September, users have expressed frustration with a number of lingering bugs that have yet to be patched. Most notably, users have experienced crashes when using the new multitasking interface, while the Safari browser is also prone to frequent crashes.

To date, there have been five beta releases of iOS 7.1, the most recent arriving in early February. It features new "natural-sounding" Siri voices for international users in the U.K., Australia and Japan.

Separately, AppleInsider was told by sources last week that Apple is preparing a software update that will enhance the functionality of Touch ID, potentially fixing a "fade" issue that has been experienced by some iPhone 5s users. It is unknown whether that update will be a part of iOS 7.1, or if it will arrive independently.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Will support iTunes festival app!!!!!!?? Lol.

In other news 7.1 beta 5 still has a few front facing bugs. The virtual space between the date and the first line of a note in Notes keeps growing and shrinking. That bug has been around since beta 2. There's a visual glitch when in Safari in window view when your other devices have no iCloud tabs open. Other stuff too. And I'm still not happy with the speed of all the animations. Some are still too slow. And there's no reason why I should be able to swipe three times across the home screen when going home or unlocking before my pagination interaction registers when I only needed to swipe once in iOS 5 or 6. A significant step backwards when we're unlocking over 100 times a day. Steve wouldn't have put up with it.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I am not sure about the rest of you but the ability to run an iTunes festival app that I likely will never install is a rather unimportant detail in regards to a 7.1 update.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    gwmac wrote: »
    I am not sure about the rest of you but the ability to run an iTunes festival app that I likely will never install is a rather unimportant detail in regards to a 7.1 update.

I think the reason it got a mention here is clear in hindsight after reading the piece, but AI should drop that from the article title.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    I heard they were waiting to release iOS 7.1 until the fluctuating price of marble rye stabilizes. Purely rumor though.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland wrote: »
    Will support iTunes festival app!!!!!!?? Lol.

In other news 7.1 beta 5 still has a few front facing bugs. The virtual space between the date and the first line of a note in Notes keeps growing and shrinking. That bug has been around since beta 2. There's a visual glitch when in Safari in window view when your other devices have no iCloud tabs open. Other stuff too. And I'm still not happy with the speed of all the animations. Some are still too slow. And there's no reason why I should be able to swipe three times across the home screen when going home or unlocking before my pagination interaction registers when I only needed to swipe once in iOS 5 or 6. A significant step backwards when we're unlocking over 100 times a day. Steve wouldn't have put up with it.

C'mon,"Steve wouldn't have put up with it"?

I'm surprised at you, resorting to this empty troll taunt. Be original and blame it on the loss of Scott.

(Four crashes on my iPad mini retina while posting this.)
  • Reply 6 of 49
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Pre-release versions of iOS 7 have been supplied to developers for testing since last November, making it a particularly lengthy beta period.

Haven't seen many changes at all in 7.1 beta 5 (or so a little birdie tells me.)

At least not on an iPod touch 5th gen.  Apple must be saving all the new stuff for iOS 8.

• Reply 7 of 49
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Touch ID fade has kept me from using it. Fails more than half the time starting a few days after I enter my fingerprints. Works great for the first few days.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Ditto here. An absolutely irrelevant piece of information, and definitely NOT the reason to update.

• Reply 9 of 49
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    iOS 7 is def the most buggy version of iOS that i've used, then again, as a code base grows and shifts from its original purpose, complexity and baggage grows as do bugs.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Ditto here. An absolutely irrelevant piece of information, and definitely NOT the reason to update.

You guys are missing the point entirely. iTunes festival starts next week, and if the app requires 7.1 then that means 7.1 has to be ready before then. Understand?
  • Reply 11 of 49

Why would he return his phone when it seems to be a software problem?

"Separately, AppleInsider was told by sources last week that Apple is preparing a software update that will enhance the functionality of Touch ID, potentially fixing a "fade" issue that has been experienced by some iPhone 5s users."

• Reply 12 of 49
    flaneur wrote: »
    C'mon,"Steve wouldn't have put up with it"?

I'm surprised at you, resorting to this empty troll taunt. Be original and blame it on the loss of Scott.

(Four crashes on my iPad mini retina while posting this.)

Steve wouldn't put up with it. Nothing trollish about the reality if that statement.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Touch ID fade has kept me from using it. Fails more than half the time starting a few days after I enter my fingerprints. Works great for the first few days.

Ah, tough luck. I hope to God that's purely a software problem.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    sog35 wrote: »

return your phone and stop crying because you are too lazy to go to the store.

Chill, dude.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    salmanpak wrote: »
    Why would he return his phone when it seems to be a software problem?

"Separately, AppleInsider was told by sources last week that Apple is preparing a software update that will enhance the functionality of Touch ID, potentially fixing a "fade" issue that has been experienced by some iPhone 5s users."

He's probably worth ignoring. Well, at least for that comment.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

What a bitchfest this thread is. Meanwhile hundreds of millions of iOS users are happily going about their daily business without the alleged show stopping bugs claimed here. Why not just dump your Apple gear and be happy? Buy something else that doesn’t cause you to bitch, whine, complain, hand wring, raise your blood pressure, stroke out, and otherwise be unhappy with your Apple gear. As Tallest Skil always says...

Go away.

• Reply 17 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    What a bitchfest this thread is. Meanwhile hundreds of millions of iOS users are happily going about their daily business without the alleged show stopping bugs claimed here. Why not just dump your Apple gear and be happy? Buy something else that doesn’t cause you to bitch, whine, complain, hand wring, raise your blood pressure, stroke out, and otherwise be unhappy with your Apple gear. As Tallest Skil always says...

Go away.
    But it's so much more fun for them to whine and throw out buzz words like "flat" and "intuitive". :D
  • Reply 18 of 49
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

return your phone and stop crying because you are too lazy to go to the store.

This is real issue, and its software related.

• Reply 19 of 49
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

cause 99.99% of the people using touchID have ZERO problems.

he has a defective phone and should return it before its too late.

This is like someone grumbling that he has a flat tire but does nothing about it and continues to drive.  Get it fixed.  Apple accrues millions of dollars for warranty repairs for a reason.

Just stop. Touch ID fade is software related. It was not present in 7.0.1 and got introduced with .03,.04, and .1 betas.

• Reply 20 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You guys are missing the point entirely. iTunes festival starts next week, and if the app requires 7.1 then that means 7.1 has to be ready before then. Understand?

1) Seconded.

2) I understand that some people just read the headline and not the article before jumping to the comments, but I don't understand why they would get worked up over the headline and then comment specifically on it without reading the article.