RadioShack to close up to 1,100 stores as earnings dip well below expectations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    RS always seemed like the Woolworth of electronics to me. That's not meant as a complement by the way.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    notscott wrote: »
    Two questions:

What's a radio? And, what's a shack?

I think they are both from 1950.
  • Reply 23 of 41

According to Minority Report RadioShack is still around in 2054.

• Reply 24 of 41
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    I'm surprised RS continued reasonably successful as long as they did. The electronics market has changed, the DIY repair market is gone. I still used RS a bit for cables plus nuts and bolts, but now there are several other big and little PC shops here where I can get PC components at a lower price.

So goodbye RS, it was nice knowing you for a long time.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    I'm surprised RS continued reasonably successful as long as they did. The electronics market has changed, the DIY repair market is gone. I still used RS a bit for cables plus nuts and bolts, but now there are several other big and little PC shops here where I can get PC components at a lower price.

So goodbye RS, it was nice knowing you for a long time.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Having more than 15x the number of stores Apple has worldwide when you aren't making enough profits isn't a good way to go - 1,100 is just the ones they are closing, they will still have 4,000 after the closures. They do sales online but the problem online is they compete with Amazon and very few companies can. That's where the retail stores work better because they can push higher margins. Although a lot of people are well informed about online prices, for some items it's easier to get them in a store as you can see physical dimensions, weight, you don't have to wait for a delivery etc. They are nowhere near going out of business with another 4,000 stores so we'll see if the closures help turn their profits round.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    fmaxwellfmaxwell Posts: 46member

This is what happens when a store abandons its loyal customer base.

Radio Shack used to be a store that catered to electronic hobbyists with a wide selection of stocked parts, cases, and kits.  Over the years, they've turned their back on that market, discontinuing most of the items that serve those customers.  And when you can't get everything you need for a project, there is no reason to order some parts from Mouser, DigiKey, etc. and then pay a premium to Radio Shack for the small number of parts that they do have in stock.

I don't want an overpriced cell phone case.  I don't want a low-end digital camera.  I don't want an outdated car GPS.  I don't want a bad remote controlled car.  I want parts for the projects I'm building and the electronics that I'm repairing/upgrading.

Their web site is everything that's wrong with brick and mortar web sites.  It's primarily items that they don't carry in the store and that have nothing to do with electronics.  Really, Radio Shack, you thought I was coming to your web site to order a Ladies Bikini Trimmer (Catalog #: 55075265), Double-Sided Lighted Make-Up Mirror (Catalog #: 55075322), or a hand-cranked Manual Wheat Grass Juicer (Catalog #: 55074041)?  Maybe they figure that there's a big untapped market of people who are offended by Amazon's wider selection, lower prices, and much better search and ordering systems?

They need to get back to what made them successful and quit trying to be an Amazon ultra-lite.

• Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I had to get a voltmeter from my local Radio Shack not too long ago.

I kept looking at the prices and thinking to myself, “Okay, there’s something I’m missing here. There has to be some aspect of this that I’m just not getting…”

Yep, I guess it has served it's purpose.

It always felt like walking into a "Hobby" store. And then most recently, walking into a cellphone store (as people have lamented above).

I get a similar ill-feeling when I walk into a BestBuy (which I rarely do anymore). All the blue/black, plasticky, crap products bring me down.

I guess, I've been spoiled by the experience of shopping at the Apple Stores! For some reason, It's just a very pleasant experience and I don't mind spending $99 for ATV at the Apple store, as opposed to $93 on Amazon! :)

Best.

• Reply 29 of 41
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Who didn't see the writing on the wall.
    RS is a played out business model. With ebay and Amazon who the hell needs them. They suck anyhow with their sorry ass employees. Hahahaha!
    Take the middle fingers clowns.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fmaxwell View Post

This is what happens when a store abandons its loyal customer base.

Radio Shack used to be a store that catered to electronic hobbyists with a wide selection of stocked parts, cases, and kits.  Over the years, they've turned their back on that market, discontinuing most of the items that serve those customers.  And when you can't get everything you need for a project, there is no reason to order some parts from Mouser, DigiKey, etc. and then pay a premium to Radio Shack for the small number of parts that they do have in stock.

I don't want an overpriced cell phone case.  I don't want a low-end digital camera.  I don't want an outdated car GPS.  I don't want a bad remote controlled car.  I want parts for the projects I'm building and the electronics that I'm repairing/upgrading.

Their web site is everything that's wrong with brick and mortar web sites.  It's primarily items that they don't carry in the store and that have nothing to do with electronics.  Really, Radio Shack, you thought I was coming to your web site to order a Ladies Bikini Trimmer (Catalog #: 55075265), Double-Sided Lighted Make-Up Mirror (Catalog #: 55075322), or a hand-cranked Manual Wheat Grass Juicer (Catalog #: 55074041)?  Maybe they figure that there's a big untapped market of people who are offended by Amazon's wider selection, lower prices, and much better search and ordering systems?

They need to get back to what made them successful and quit trying to be an Amazon ultra-lite.

All great points! And well presented. :)

Perhaps, the market you speak of was dwindling and they saw the writing on the wall. And didn't have many options except to panic and become the a crappy store you describe.

Maybe they just have to go away, like Wards, Woolworths, Circuit City, CompUSA, Sears/Kmart, etc., etc.

• Reply 31 of 41
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

They really need to stop selling all of those el-cheapo Android phones.  The people who get those just want them for free.  If Radio Shack was known for selling only iPhones, they would make a lot more money.  Get rid of that low-profit crap and deal exclusively with Apple.

• Reply 32 of 41
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Where am I going to buy my next Tandy Computer at? Dang!
  • Reply 33 of 41
    notscott wrote: »
    Two questions:

What's a radio? And, what's a shack?

One answer:

The two words that make up the name 'Radio Shack.'
  • Reply 34 of 41
    RS always seemed like the Woolworth of electronics to me. That's not meant as a complement by the way.

Complement to what? Or, maybe, a compliment. ????
  • Reply 35 of 41
    All great points! And well presented. :)

Perhaps, the market you speak of was dwindling and they saw the writing on the wall. And didn't have many options except to panic and become the a crappy store you describe.

Maybe they just have to go away, like Wards, Woolworths, Circuit City, CompUSA, Sears/Kmart, etc., etc.

Thanks for not finishing a post with 'Best.' I know you mean to be polite, but it annoys me.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Thanks for not finishing a post with 'Best.' I know you mean to be polite, but it annoys me.

Wow. You must get up off the wrong side of the bed a lot.

Best.

Add: I realize that I am being somewhat nasty, but that was an incredibly annoying thing on your part to say. It also does to take into account the fact that C123 may not be posting just for you, but for people in the Forum in general, many of whom might actually like the way he signs off.

• Reply 37 of 41
    Wow. You must get up off the wrong side of the bed a lot.

Best.

Add: I realize that I am being somewhat nasty, but that was an incredibly annoying thing on your part to say. It also does to take into account the fact that C123 may not be posting just for you, but for people in the Forum in general, many of whom might actually like the way he signs off.

I think if everyone signed off 'Best,' you'd see what I mean.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    deleted
  • Reply 39 of 41
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Sure, they had some cool misc. electronic supplies but other than that, every store I walked into was filled with ridiculously over-priced stuff sold by over-geeked out salesman.  No offense.  :-)
  • Reply 40 of 41
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    The only 'strategy' left for them is to go quietly into a corner and die.
    That's true