Gartner ignores Apple's sales numbers, reports Android marketshare doubled iPad in 2013

Comments

• Reply 121 of 165
    crosslad wrote: »
    Then why have Samsungs shares fallen in the last year? I bought a Samsung Tablet for myself last year and a cheap android tablet for my daughter. The cheap android is stuck on ICS and never comes out of its box. The Samsung tablet is the only tablet I have ever purchased that has a crack in the case. I use it mainly for watching catch up tv as the keyboard is not responsive enough to do anything else on. These are counted in the huge increase I android tablets, but I will probably never get an Android tablet again.

If you've truly learnt your lesson, then you will buy an iPad.
  • Reply 122 of 165
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

Which apps that you use are exclusive to the ipad ?

Admittedly not many anymore, and those are not usually that important.

• Reply 123 of 165
    gearfitgearfit Posts: 4member

I'm a very strong Apple fan but Samsung is just tempting me right now!

• Reply 124 of 165
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GearFit View Post

I'm a very strong Apple fan but Samsung is just tempting me right now!

With what?

• Reply 125 of 165
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member

I would not just dismiss the Gartner figures as biased. I own a software company who develops smartphone and tablet apps for enterprises. 3 years ago a typical request from a potential customer was to develop first an iOS app and port it later to Android. In 2013 roughly all my customers asked simultaneously an iOS and Android versions of their app. Well in 2014 I have received the first customer request for an Android app only. This means that mindset in the market is gradually shifting.

If I look to the personal devices of my employees, I see 2 iPads, 4 Android tablets and 1 Surface

• Reply 126 of 165
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

With what?

With the stuff he is paid to promote. No need for a tin foil hat on this one.

• Reply 127 of 165
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cropr View Post

I would not just dismiss the Gartner figures as biased. I own a software company who develops smartphone and tablet apps for enterprises. 3 years ago a typical request from a potential customer was to develop first an iOS app and port it later to Android. In 2013 roughly all my customers asked simultaneously an iOS and Android versions of their app. Well in 2014 I have received the first customer request for an Android app only. This means that mindset in the market is gradually shifting.

If I look to the personal devices of my employees, I see 2 iPads, 4 Android tablets and 1 Surface

If they do that they will lose money, as you may well know. The installed base for iPads is not only higher ( the 60% Android is recent) but the "Others" category is not really a multi-touch category. It can't be, not at that price. It must be a touch resistant screen and not a real capacitive device, good for movies, and not much else. Apple can't sit on their laurels, however and all they need to do is reduce the price of an entry model, maybe a mini by $50. 

Also I never really liked Apple's hipster advertising - get out there advertising the fact that the iPad has much more and better apps, that developers make more money, that the ecosystem is the best, that it is the only Enterprise solution.

• Reply 128 of 165
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is the only major company to report sales to end users, while Android device makers like Samsung note only shipments.

I thought this was disproved?  If nothing else, it just seems implausible that Apple collates sales figures from all of the worldwide retailers that carry iPads.

That could be some part of the explanation for the iPad figure discrepancy - Apple report direct sales to end users and shipments to retailers, Gartner estimate sales.

• Reply 129 of 165
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    Anal-ysis from CNBC:

Apple's slow pace of growth concerns some investors.

Colin Gillis, a senior tech analyst at BGC Financial, asked why the company, with its massive cash reserves of close to $160 billion, hasn't been aggressive making blockbuster acquisitions.

Google made headlines by buying robotics companies, and Facebook recently agreed to pay up to $19 billion for instant messaging service WhatsApp. Why can't Apple buy wearable tech companies like Jawbone or Fitbit, Gillis asked.

What's more, iPhones sell at a much higher premium than other smartphones—twice as much as the average price, about $650 versus $330, he said.

"It's a fine strategy to have, but it's going to come at the expense of volume," Gillis told CNBC. "Apple is going to be less effective in the emerging markets."

(I guess anal-yists are like weathermen - virtually no consequences for getting it wrong)
  • Reply 130 of 165
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    crowley wrote: »
    I thought this was disproved?  If nothing else, it just seems implausible that Apple collates sales figures from all of the worldwide retailers that carry iPads.

That could be some part of the explanation for the iPad figure discrepancy - Apple report direct sales to end users and shipments to retailers, Gartner estimate sales.

Apple reports shipments AND approximate inventory levels. Anyone can deduce end user sales. Other companies don't give any numbers while Sammy provides a pct range change from the previous year.
  • Reply 131 of 165

Whose inventory levels, resellers?  How "approximate" are those figures?

It seems to me like there's a bit of uncertainty between those measures and "Apple reports sales to end users".  If Apple are approximating then it's not infeasible that Gartner are using their own approximations, which may be better (or worse) than Apple's.

The article takes it as read that Apple's figures are certain.

• Reply 132 of 165
    crowley wrote: »

It seems to me like there's a bit of uncertainty between those measures and "Apple reports sales to end users".  If Apple are approximating then it's not infeasible that Gartner are using their own approximations, which may be better (or worse) than Apple's.

I believe Apple gets weekly reports from its authorized resellers in addition to its info as well. In addition 1st party numbers are more accurate than 3rd party numbers.
  • Reply 133 of 165
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Jungmark, where did you find that? I asked Apple how they arrive at the numbers several months back. To their credit they answered me too.
  • Reply 134 of 165

Interesting, thanks.

• Reply 135 of 165
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Jungmark, where did you find that? I asked Apple how they arrive at the numbers several months back. To their credit they answered me too.

I thought I read on forums that someone called/emailed and recd a response. From a business sense, that also makes sense too, especially for Apple.
  • Reply 136 of 165
    jungmark wrote: »
    I thought I read on forums that someone called/emailed and recd a response.
    That was likely me as I don't recall anyone else mentioning it. You should send a request yourself and see what they answer. .
    jungmark wrote: »
    From a business sense, that also makes sense too, especially for Apple.
    Yes, it would make sense, but Apple hasn't said that AFAIK.
  • Reply 137 of 165
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That was likely me as I don't recall anyone else mentioning it. You should send a request yourself and see what they answer. .
    Yes, it would make sense, but Apple hasn't said that AFAIK.

Maybe Tim will respond. Just because Apple doesn't mention it, doesn't mean it's not happening.

If Apple can control its prices at 3rd parties, it can sure can view inventory numbers, at least for idevices.
  • Reply 138 of 165
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Apple knows when every single device is switched on for the first time and activated.

• Reply 139 of 165
    hill60 wrote: »
    Apple knows when every single device is switched on for the first time and activated.

So why not report activations then. I think you're suggesting that would be an accurate way of reporting actual end-user sales and it's information they have at their fingertips,
  • Reply 140 of 165
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So why not report activations then. I think you're suggesting that would be an accurate way of reporting actual end-user sales and it's information they have at their fingertips,

Who knows, perhaps Apple prefers to keep that level of detail confidential.