Class action suit claims Apple Store POS system discriminates against visually impaired

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Has any company ever done more for the handicapped?
  • Reply 22 of 91
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Pretty much.  I associate with a blind person on a semi-regular basis and he swears by Apple products and their accessibility options.  I trust his word when he says Apple is light years ahead in that category.

I agree. Apple will come up with a sensible fix. A shame people didn't just ask instead of immediately going the lawsuit route. Kind of undermines the motivation here.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    foadfoad Posts: 717member

While improving the purchasing process for a visually impaired person is a commendable goal, filing a lawsuit seems unnecessary. It's just an ambulance chaser type of suit. I feel if the people filing it, not the lawyer, actually reached out to Apple with constructive criticism, Apple would listen...more so than their competitors.

• Reply 24 of 91
    I feel for the blind. But this is absurd. This is like saying a car is discriminating against the blind. Does anyone HONESTLY think Apple's intention was to discriminate??? If you do, then you are clueless about Apple. Move along. Nothing to see here.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    rogerr32rogerr32 Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Bet you a competitor is behind this bogus lawsuit.

More likely an attorney looking for a big paycheck.

Edit: Oops. Somebody beat me to the punch on this.

• Reply 26 of 91
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

There's several major companies very actively recruiting the handicapped. Twenty years ago that didn't happen.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
  • Reply 28 of 91
    maccherry wrote: »
    Bet you a competitor is behind this bogus lawsuit.

No, just a lawyer troll making a living by looking for ADA issues he can blow up into a class-action suit. This kind is worse that an ambulance chaser because no one needs to be hurt to create a suit. Sooner or later every company has to deal with these bloodsuckers.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There's several major companies very actively recruiting the handicapped. Twenty years ago that didn't happen.

Interesting tidbit: Go to Apple's website and play any video. You will notice the "CC" button in the controller to turn on closed caption. Then head over to Google's YouTube channel.

None of the videos that I tried there had "CC" available.

• Reply 30 of 91
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Check out Walgrens employment of disabled (not 'the handicapped'), and others.

http://www.walgreens.com/topic/sr/disability_inclusion_home.jsp?stop_mobi=yes

And it's not out of charity

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3749414/
  • Reply 31 of 91
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Do you want the good or bad news first?

The bad news is that Apple is facing a class action lawsuit from visually impaired citizens living in the Land-Of-The-Free-To-Sue-Whoever-I-Want-If-I-Don't-Like-Something.

The good news is that this class action won't occur until previous class actions against car manufacturers, movie theatres, book publishers, TV stations, and window manufacturers are completed.

• Reply 32 of 91
    Apple Stores already have non-iOS based POS touch points. I was a manager at the Stockton street store in SF and there is at least one "traditional" POS terminal per floor for tactile input. Hopefully that store had there's set up.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    mstone wrote: »
    Interesting tidbit: Go to Apple's website and play any video. You will notice the "CC" button in the controller to turn on closed caption. Then head over to Google's YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Google

None of the videos that I tried there had "CC" available.

Google doesn't produce very many of those Youtube videos, so if the owner didn't add CC then it's not available for the most part . To Google's credit tho thay are tryign to add closed captioning to several videos by using their speech recognition tech if the original audio is clear enough for it. . Apple produces all the videos on their site don't they? The two are not really comparable. Kudos to Apple tho if they're ensuring every video they produce is accessible to the hearing impaired. . . or those with a sleeping infant nearby. :D
  • Reply 34 of 91
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Good use of the legal system.

The ADA is federal law, and if any group is out of compliance with it, this is precisely the way to get compliance. Disabled people know all too well the deaf ear (pun intended) they are met with when ADA non-compliance is broached outside of court - many businesses and municipalities won't spend the money to come into compliance with federal law until the courts force them to.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member

I picked up on Tim Cook's reference to the blind in his response during that Apple shareholder meeting. As a person who is both visually and aurally impaired, Apple has my confidence, based on their track record, that they will provide a reasonable fix.

• Reply 36 of 91
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

No, just a lawyer troll making a living by looking for ADA issues he can blow up into a class-action suit. This kind is worse that an ambulance chaser because no one needs to be hurt to create a suit. Sooner or later every company has to deal with these bloodsuckers.

If this is the case, then why is the lawsuit not seeking damages and only seeking remedies?

• Reply 37 of 91
    citycity Posts: 522member

If doesn't seem to me that a lawsuit is necessary to convince Apple to address such an issue. This is the generate legal fees. The Apple Santa Monica store had a blind employee (with dog) helping customers. I have seen Stevie Wonder shopping in an Apple store.

• Reply 38 of 91
    woochifer wrote: »
    If this is the case, then why is the lawsuit not seeking damages and only seeking remedies?

Good catch. I'd missed that in the first read. So they don't want any money, they just want it fixed. Doesn't sound like anything to complain about then.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    BS complaint. The easy pay system isn't a user system for anyone. Only staff use easy pays. Period.

And they have accessible keypad systems for debit cards. For the rare times they use a debit card that won't run as credit. No one puts a PIN number into an easy pay.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    This suit is frivolous, plain and simple.