iPhones much more likely to be stolen, less likely to be broken or need replacement

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Figures compiled by device insurance firm ProtectCell indicate that owners of Apple's iPhone suffer fewer broken screens and other device problems requiring replacement, but are far more likely to having their products stolen.

The firm, which has sold over two million insurance policies covering phones and tablets, issued a press release noting that iPhone users are 46 percent less likely to need a replacement device for any reason, as compared to other smartphone users.

Specific to screen damage or breakage, iPhone users are 11 less likely to request repairs. That suggests that, despite a delicate appearance, iPhones either are less prone to damage or their users take better care of them (or a mix of both). The firm's press release attributed the difference to "luck."

in addition to screen breakage, liquid damage, power surge melt downs and mechanical failures, ProtectCell also covers against theft or mysterious disappearance. In that respect, iPhones lead other smartphone owners with a 65 percent greater likelihood of going missing.

Apple has targeted the well-documented attraction of thieves to its products by introducing Activation Lock, a free new feature in iOS 7 that locks device activation to a users Apple ID, ensuring that any iOS device protected by a passcode can't be stolen and resold for easy export by thieves who plan to erase and resell the device.

Both Google's Android and Microsoft's Windows Phone lack any mechanism for similarly blocking reactivation of a stolen device by thieves, but devices using those platforms are currently much less likely to be stolen because they lack potential for easy resale.

Another fact floated by the company: replacement requests by insured tablet owners increased dramatically in 2013 over the previous year, with users being 90 percent more likely to request device replacement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    More likely to be stolen? What good would that do as long as the owner had implemented basic security measures, including "Find My iPhone".
  • Reply 2 of 66
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Thieves can't tell if any given iPhone has "Find My iPhone" enabled, whether or not the user will resort to it, or if any of the iOS 7 security functions are enabled. Smartphone theft is a crime of opportunity, not the Brinks Job.

Looking at various Q&A forums, it appears there is a certain percentage of folks who do not enable common and free security measures. 

Remember, the world is full of people who use "asdfasdf", "1111" or "1234" as passwords.

Heck, even Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer admits she doesn't even have a passcode lock on her iPhone.

If there are no security measures enabled, and the thief can turn off the phone or put it into airplane mode right away, it's almost untraceable and can be fenced overseas for a good amount of cash. There is no thriving international black market for Android handsets.

Also, even if a stolen iPhone is completely locked, it still commands decent value for parts.

• Reply 3 of 66
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

More likely to be stolen? What good would that do as long as the owner had implemented basic security measures, including "Find My iPhone".

I think most iPhone users will accept that it got stolen and not bother with retrieval, even if it shows up on "Find my iPhone".  I don't think the iOS security features have really settled-in yet with users, and that most users don't realize that their stolen phone cannot be wiped out without knowing their AppleID password.

Lot of ignorance out there with Joe Consumer methink.

• Reply 4 of 66
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Find My iPhone is a good precaution against a thief getting access to your data, but since it's quite easy to block as a phone bricking service (just turn the phone off or enter Airplane mode, then wipe it before connecting to the internet) and also since lots of people don't use Find My iPhone, or password protection, it's not really much of a disincentive for a thief to steal the phone in the first place.

• Reply 5 of 66
    The infographics never lie. Never.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    murrayscmurraysc Posts: 13member
    My daughters iPhone 5c was stolen at middle school from a zippered jacket pocket in gym. I put it in lost mode through Find iPhone within an hour and it had a pass code.

After two weeks, Find iPhone wasn't pinged once and we bought another iPhone. IMHO, Find iPhone and Activation Lock did little to hinder the thief after reading that they can be bypassed by jail breaking the phone.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Off topic: This reminds me, has the new activation security measures built-in to OS 7 helped reduce iDevices being stolen?
  • Reply 8 of 66
    Maybe they don't make claims as much because the screen is so small they just leave it in their pocket. Or because it's dead. Or maybe because old people are careful with their phones. Lol.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sirwill4

Maybe they don't make claims as much because the screen is so small they just leave it in their pocket. Or because it's dead. Or maybe because old people are careful with their phones. Lol.

How stupid can you possibly be? Go ruin your life somewhere we can’t see you.

• Reply 10 of 66
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    murraysc wrote: »
    My daughters iPhone 5c was stolen at middle school from a zippered jacket pocket in gym. I put it in lost mode through Find iPhone within an hour and it had a pass code.

After two weeks, Find iPhone wasn't pinged once and we bought another iPhone. IMHO, Find iPhone and Activation Lock did little to hinder the thief after reading that they can be bypassed by jail breaking the phone.

Please demonstrate how to bypass Activation Lock.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    sirwill4 wrote: »

Maybe they don't make claims due to better myelination; improving impulse propagation thus leading to superior fine motor coordination; which is why they have superior intellect.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The infographics never lie. Never.

They can, but it just depends.  Here's a quick guid to tell if an infographic is accurate.

If they match what you want to be true then the infographics are legit.  If they don't match up with your preconcieved notions then they're obviously lies.

• Reply 13 of 66
    Quote:

Please demonstrate how to bypass Activation Lock.

I haven't tested any method, but a quick google finds several ways: https://www.appaddict.org/forum/index.php?/topic/2015-how-to-jailbreak-and-hacktivate-bypass-activation-lock-with-ultrabreak-on-ip4/

-murray

• Reply 14 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    murraysc wrote: »

1) This is specifically for the iPhone 4, not the iPhone 5S you mentioned in your first post.

2) On that forum people still can't seem to make it work.

3) Since Activation Lock involves Apple's servers which is why it's tied to Find My iPhone how does this Ultrabreak get around that method.

4) I'm not saying it's impossible — like by using an invented, virtually represented IMEI instead of the one the phone actually has in HW — but with no information it seems rather suspect. Plus, I'd expect any such method that can get past Apple's server authentication for the activation would work across all devices with iOS 7, not just the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murraysc View Post

I haven't tested any method, but a quick google finds several ways: https://www.appaddict.org/forum/index.php?/topic/2015-how-to-jailbreak-and-hacktivate-bypass-activation-lock-with-ultrabreak-on-ip4/

-murray

Your google-fu is fail. Everybody who tried that in that very thread you linked said it didn't work for them.

Quote:

Uhm, I don't think that works man. I tried and all it does for every boot is show the "Connect to iTunes logo" Also I developed Ultrabreak, I tried to add evasi0n7unther.deb but it would not work. 

Quote:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application. The system cannot find the file specified." I tried many ways to go DFU but Ultrabreak seems to not detect the iP4

Quote:

Its not working for me i have iPhone 4 locked to Fido Canada and i dont have a Fido sim card so i wanted to hacktivate and jailbreak it on iOS 7.0.4 i did all the steps but my device can't get out recovery mode.

Tried to jailbreak many time and then booting but device goes into recovery mode after each reboot??? 

Quote:
     i have also tested all this but same problem idevice stuks in recovry moo

Quote:

tried evasion7 after the iPhone4_Hacktivate_Tool as described by Mongolo, didn't manage to unlock the cell.

tried ultrabreak but i'm stuck on the recovery mode in the middle of the jailbreak. it says something like the software aborted the mission, something like that, so i cannot boot.

And this is on a much older model, which I doubt Apple paid that much attention to when they developed Activation Lock. I suspect the 5s and 5c would be even tougher.

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I suspect the supposed "jailbreak" is just malware that somebody is foisting on unsuspecting people who want some way to unlock a cell phone that they don't have activation credentials for, be it stolen or just forgotten.

• Reply 16 of 66

Again, I have no idea if it's possible, but here's another forum: http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=10024803

Quote:

Hello guys. I've received my iPhone 5 as a gift. Everything great, I really enjoyed it. Yesterday I tried to do a full software update to the newest iOS and to erase everything, to make it as new. The only problem is, I didn't know that the Find my iPhone thing was ON, and now I'm stuck in an setup activation screen that requests the apple id and password that was linked to this phone, wich I do not have and I also can't track the person who had it, in no possible way. 

My question is: Is there a solution or fix for this Activation Lock? And if not, where can I check for updates regarding this matter?

If it wasn't possible to bypass in the first place, how was the author able to use the iPhone 5??

• Reply 17 of 66
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

The story sounds fake.

The poster probably bought a stolen iPhone from eBay/Craigslist/whatever, is trying to get that forum's participants to explain how to break the iOS 7 Apple ID lockout.

Here's the key phrase that points to an illicitly acquired device:

Quote:

requests the apple id and password that was linked to this phone, wich I do not have and I also can't track the person who had it, in no possible way. 

There are tons of this kind of "help be unlock my iPhone" threads in various online forums like Yahoo Answers, whatever.

Frankly, your account is suspicious. You join today and the first and only thread you post on is about "stolen" iPhones and how to break into them. Other forums are littered with accounts just like yours, people asking how to crack a locked iPhone in their initial and only post, and without any answers, the account is abandoned forever.

• Reply 18 of 66
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Knowing that the person who stole my iPhone can't use it is of little comfort to my empty pocket.  I don't think the knowledge that stealing iPhones might be pointless has filtered through to the frontline criminal fraternity yet.

• Reply 19 of 66

Also, after canceling the old contract at the service provider and purchasing the new iPhone, I received this email from Apple during the process:

Find My iPhone has been disabled on X’s iPhone.
    With Find My iPhone disabled, this device can no longer be located, placed in Lost Mode, or remotely erased using icloud.com/find or the Find My iPhone iOS app.
    In addition, your Apple ID and password will no longer be required for someone to erase, reactivate, and use your iPhone.

I know I entered my iCloud password into the new phone, but I never specifically disabled Find My iPhone for the stolen device.  

Bottom line, the iPhone was stolen and the protections that Apple have in place did nothing to help recover it.  

• Reply 20 of 66

I'd like to add, Apple could benefit Find My iPhone by not allowing the device to be turned off without a passcode.  As mentioned earlier, the thief must have turned the phone off soon after taking it and didn't access a network for 2 weeks.