Apple issues first OS X 10.9.3 beta, asks developers to focus on graphics and audio

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I haven't used a spinning drive in my Mac since this song was popular.

[VIDEO]

(Clearly I'm exaggerating but I couldn't think of something that fit that's about 6 years old)

So you chose a song that's 30 years old instead? Now THAT brings back back some memories I can tell ya, since that summer I got my first Mac and I was Partying like it was 1999! :smokey:
  • Reply 22 of 37
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    You have issues, Mavericks doesn't. Sure there are flaws in Mavericks but taken as a whole it is the best OS update Apple has ever kicked out. It has closed more bugs and tied up more loose ends than it created.
    eriamjh wrote: »
    Mavericks is a god-awful OS.  It's like Apple learned nothing from the previous releases.  They broke more things than they introduced.  Total garbage.
    The facts indicate the opposite, they actually fixed more things than they broke. By a long shot this is the best Mac OS update released so far, this based on running the platform since 2008.

I just had the magic file-delete bug.  I was transferring a file from one machine to another, stopped it on the one, and ALL of the user settings on the target Mac got deleted.  
    Sounds like you knew the bug existed before you even created the problem, so who is really to blame here.

I've been using Macs since OS9.  Mavericks sucks.

Total BS; Mavericks is possibly the smoothest running OS out there right now. This includes considerable experience with Windows and Linux. If you want trouble free Mavericks is the best option to date.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    hagarhagar Posts: 132member
    For me, Mavericks is quite on par with the other MacOSX releases, except for Mail. It%u2019s completely unusable. If you have one mail account and no folders or rules maybe you%u2019re fine. But support for Gmail and Exchange and more complex scenario's is awful. The list of issues is endless:

- Rules are not triggered or trigger on the wrong mail
    - Scripts executed by Mail rules are executed on other messages than the mail triggering the rule
    - Mails with attachments get stuck in the outbox when using Exchange accounts
    - Smart mailboxes don%u2019t work correctly
    - Search is completely broken leaving out search results
    - Mails (gmail and Exchange) you flag as read or move around on iOS are still in the inbox in Mavericks
    - etc
  • Reply 24 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by hagar View Post

For me, Mavericks is quite on par with the other MacOSX releases, except for Mail. It%u2019s completely unusable. 

Other than it being perfectly usable and always having had been.

But support for Gmail

Yes, Gmail. Not anything else. Google refuses to follow the standard, and Apple has stopped caring. Whine to Google about their broken implementation of IMAP.

• Reply 25 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">For me, Mavericks is quite on par with the other MacOSX releases, except for Mail. It%u2019s completely unusable. </span>

Other than it being perfectly usable and always having had been.
    But support for Gmail

Yes, Gmail. Not anything else. Google refuses to follow the standard, and Apple has stopped caring. Whine to Google about their broken implementation of IMAP.

They just don't get tech. At all. One freaking stupid implementation after the other.

Google. Where stupidness reigns... in abundance.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    tzterritzterri Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

No it doesn't, you have a problem there. I'd try reinstalling the combo update if I were you.

This laptop came with a brand new install of Mavericks and it has done this since day one. My partner's iMac at work also does this. I Googled it and it seems that it is a common issue. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5492400

• Reply 27 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    hillstones wrote: »
    The people claiming Mavericks is great when the article acknowledged that Mail is still broken after three updates must live in a fantasy world.

Again, all I can say is Mail is fine for me. Then I am using iCloud and Me not third party mail severs so I can't speak to those situations.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    tzterri wrote: »
    This laptop came with a brand new install of Mavericksand it has done this since day one. My partner's iMac at work also does this. I Googled itand it seems that it is a common issue. 
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5492400

For heaven's sake beware of assuming if your issue is on that blog it is genuine. That blog is full of self-fulfilling tails and even tales of woe that feed upon themselves in paranoid frenzies. Like any google search, if you search for problems you find them ... and lots of people with the same one, it proves nothing. True there are some smart folks there but by enlarge not so much. Also don't assume anyone from Apple is contradicting total rubbish posted there, they don't. I wish they did.

I can assure you your problem is not normal. Here is what I'd do,

Boot into Safe Mode and see if the issue is still there. Then I'd run Disk Warrior and check the disk's catalog is not damaged (If you don't have DW it is well worth owning for the future). If it is damaged follow the instructions to replace it, you can also repair privileges in DW or later in Disk Utils from the Recovery partition. Then do the usual ZAP PRAM and permissions if not done under DW. Finally reinstall from the Combo Update. If the problem persists even after this and in Safe Boot you should definitely take the Mac to Apple, I assume it is still under Warranty or Apple care.

Good luck.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    philboogie wrote: »
    They just don't get tech. At all. One freaking stupid implementation after the other.

Not to mention abandoning projects on a whim. I gave up supporting all their various in web utilities for web masters as I spent more time having to remove them for clients then trying to explain why than I care to think about ... Totally untrustworthy.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    hillstones wrote: »
    The people claiming Mavericks is great when the article acknowledged that Mail is still broken after three updates must live in a fantasy world.

Or use iCloud, which uses IMAP correctly, unlike gmail, which doesn't.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Two areas I have problems are Preview and iTunes Match.

In Preview, I find that I have to minimize a file before I can view it; I'm pretty sure it's related to Spaces.

With iTunes Match, I find that Plays are sometimes reset and that Watched and Unwatched tags don't always go through.

On the other hand, I find that iCloud is the strongest it has ever been; indeed, it's more reliable on my Mac than my iDevices.
  • Reply 32 of 37

Isn't it amazing how so many people don't understand that 'Mail' is an application and the 'mail system' they use is up to them, be it iCloud or Google etc. The name 'Mail' may not be such a good idea I am starting to think. As it is Google f^^*ks up and they moan 'Mail' is broken!
  • Reply 33 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »

Not to mention abandoning projects on a whim. I gave up supporting all their various in web utilities for web masters as I spent more time having to remove them for clients then trying to explain why than I care to think about ... Totally untrustworthy.

That could work as a tagline. Not short, but in this case people would want the full gist.

Isn't it amazing how so many people don't understand that 'Mail' is an application and the 'mail system' they use is up to them, be it iCloud or Google etc. The name 'Mail' may not be such a good idea I am starting to think. As it is Google f^^*ks up and they moan 'Mail' is broken!

Though in the defence of those users, I think they are less stupid than Google is.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Hey, is Yahoo Mail like that?

OS X's Mail app plays nicely with Yahoo Mail's IMAP servers; I never use webmail for Yahoo Mail or any other e-mail service.

I haven't actively used my Gmail account for years, although I occasionally empty the trash, junk mail, etc.

I have no real evidence that any of them do this, but I can't fathom why companies like Google would offer free email accounts if not to monetize them somehow. I haven't read through their terms-of-service since I my two primary personal email accounts are through services I pay for, but I suspect they capture some information and use it to their advantage. I have friends who refuse to use Facebook due to privacy concerns yet use gmail. Really?

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Boot into Safe Mode and see if the issue is still there. Then I'd run Disk Warrior and check the disk's catalog is not damaged (If you don't have DW it is well worth owning for the future). If it is damaged follow the instructions to replace it, you can also repair privileges in DW or later in Disk Utils from the Recovery partition. Then do the usual ZAP PRAM and permissions if not done under DW. Finally reinstall from the Combo Update. If the problem persists even after this and in Safe Boot you should definitely take the Mac to Apple, I assume it is still under Warranty or Apple care.

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, how do you compare Disk Warrior's repair tools to those in TechTool Pro? I keep hearing how great DW is, but it costs about the same as TechTool and seems to do (a lot) less. I don't mind spending the money if DW is a much better tool for disk repair though, since that seems to be my biggest issue.

• Reply 35 of 37
    djames4242 wrote: »
    I have no real evidence that any of them do this, but I can't fathom why companies like Google would offer free email accounts if not to monetize them somehow. I haven't read through their terms-of-service since I my two primary personal email accounts are through services I pay for, but I suspect they capture some information and use it to their advantage. I have friends who refuse to use Facebook due to privacy concerns yet use gmail. Really?

Just out of curiosity, how do you compare Disk Warrior's repair tools to those in TechTool Pro? I keep hearing how great DW is, but it costs about the same as TechTool and seems to do (a lot) less. I don't mind spending the money if DW is a much better tool for disk repair though, since that seems to be my biggest issue.

I have both and they are different in their approach and uses. I have used Disk Warrior since its inception and it has been invaluable. Nothing else comes close to it for fixing damaged disk directories and it is blindingly fast and safe. DW isn't trying to do much, just do what it does flawlessly. I have fixed so many Mac users' unsolvable problems in two minutes with it I have lost count. I like to mount the subject Mac with Terminal Mode and run DW on my MBP or nMP over Firewire or Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    I have both and they are different in their approach and uses. I have used Disk Warrior since its inception and it has been invaluable. Nothing else comes close to it for fixing damaged disk directories and it is blindingly fast and safe. DW isn't trying to do much, just do what it does flawlessly. I have fixed so many Mac users' unsolvable problems in two minutes with it I have lost count. I like to mount the subject Mac with Terminal Mode and run DW on my MBP or nMP over Firewire or Thunderbolt.

Another vote for DiskWarrior. When I had OS 9, I once got the dreaded question mark at startup, meaning the Volume couldn't be found. I ran DiskWarrior, which repaired the directories and fixed it within a few minutes.

I now use TechTool Pro. It's more of a jack of all trades, but as digitalclips said, DiskWarrior is more focused, but does its job outstandingly well.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    living in pakistan got the late 2013 rmbp 15 low end and as it came the sleep wake failure crash and those random restarts started to happen , gave it to the apple guys here and got it claimed for warranty for a new motherboard, got the new motherboard and having 10.9.2 os x still having the same problem of sleep/wake and restart while left on sleep for long !!! hope 10.9.3 fixes it ...