Rumor: Google pressured Asus to cancel Android/Windows dual-boot devices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2014
Taiwanese hardware manufacturer Asus has reportedly shelved plans to release a new Transformer tablet that would allow consumers to run both Microsoft's Windows and Google's Android operating systems on the same device after Google voiced opposition to the move.

Asus TD300

Google may have demanded the product's cancellation due to concerns about giving Microsoft a new foothold in the mobile device space, according to Digitimes. Windows currently accounts for a minuscule fraction of the mobile device market, and Google is likely looking to avoid a scenario in which its battle with Apple turns into a multi-front war.

The search giant's wishes may be at odds with those of major Asus partner Intel, whose Core-series processors power the device. Sales of such high-specced tablets would be good for Intel at a time when the pioneering chipmaker is struggling in the mobile space against devices running lower-power ARM processors.

Known as the Transformer Book Duet TD300, Asus unveiled the tablet at January's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Users could choose which operating system to boot into using a key on the attached keyboard or with a virtual button in the customized Android installation, and Intel is thought to have been ready to provide financial and marketing assistance for the tablet's launch alongside the rest of Asus's 2014 products.

If true, it may not be the first time Google has helped to quash such a product. South Korean electronics giant Samsung quietly canceled plans for its hybrid Ativ Q tablet last year, and Digitimes notes that Asus may not be the only company to bow to Google's wishes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 130
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Digitimes. It must be true.
  • Reply 2 of 130
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

Do No Evil?

They chant the mantra, but they don't walk the walk.

• Reply 3 of 130
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

And if the rumor *were* true, what would the headline be:

Google acts in Google's self interest?

In other news, iPads don't boot to Android or Windows.

• Reply 4 of 130
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    frood wrote: »

I'm more surprised it wasn't Microsoft complaining. But I guess the fact that they'd let Nokia sell an Android phone and are thinking about allowing Android apps to be ported to Windows Phone just shows how desperate they are.
  • Reply 5 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Windows currently accounts for a minuscule fraction of the mobile device market...

Not that I'm surprised, but I find it interesting that AI insists that iPads be counted as computers when writing about Apple's share in the computer market, but leaves out Windows notebooks when writing about Microsoft's share in mobile devices.

• Reply 6 of 130
    ivabignivabign Posts: 61member

Google doesn't manufacture the tablet. I think the Apple analogy is off the mark.
  • Reply 7 of 130
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

But it can't be true. It's Digitimes.

AppleInsider got played yet again.

• Reply 8 of 130
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google may have demanded the product's cancellation

By "demanded" they mean threatened not to contract upcoming Nexus devices to Asus.

• Reply 9 of 130
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member

If I were Asus I'd be like: Thanks for the advice guys, it will only run Windows.

• Reply 10 of 130
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Digitimes. It must be true.

Must be: don't think for a second that Google wants to have their Android OS be associated with the inferior Windows from Microploft¡
  • Reply 11 of 130
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

If true, it would be a black mark on Googs. Do no evil and openness. If Android is open, A third party can do what ever they want. Apple makes its own hardware and software.

salmanpak wrote: »
    Not that I'm surprised, but I find it interesting that AI insists that iPads be counted as computers when writing about Apple's share in the computer market, but leaves out Windows notebooks when writing about Microsoft's share in mobile devices.

AI also isn't counting MBAs or MBPs.
  • Reply 12 of 130

Google doesn't own Asus so they really have no right pressuring them to do anything. On top of that Android is supposed to be "open-sourced" so they should be allowed to use it however they want. Guess the Android fanboys forgot about that. It's more surprising Microsoft didn't threaten to pull licensing agreements to use windows if they went through with it. Apple may not allow Android to be booted on iPads, but they are pretty generous in giving people all the tools, short of software, to install windows on any Mac.
  • Reply 13 of 130
    Google doesn't own Asus so they really have no right pressuring them to do anything. On top of that Android is supposed to be "open-sourced" so they should be allowed to use it however they want. Guess the Android fanboys forgot about that.
    You're assuming Digitimes is spot on then.
  • Reply 14 of 130
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

Quote:

Google doesn't manufacture the tablet. I think the Apple analogy is off the mark.

Apple is happy to allow you to run Windows on their MBP though

• Reply 15 of 130
    mstone wrote: »

Wonder why that is. ;)
  • Reply 16 of 130
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    jungmark wrote: »
    If true, it would be a black mark on Googs. Do no evil and openness. If Android is open, A third party can do what ever they want. Apple makes its own hardware and software.
    AI also isn't counting MBAs or MBPs.

Android isn't open source, Android is open sores.
  • Reply 17 of 130
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

It's not really an analogy so much as a paradigm at how this article is 'non-news'  Obviously the goal is to get clicks by fomenting Google-haters 'Google is evil' mantra....

I don't view Apple as 'evil' for choosing not to include Windows or Android on their tablets or phones, because it would be shooting themselves in the foot.  And "Apple doesn't add Windows or Android to the iPad!" would make a really dumb headline.  An equally dumb headline would be "Google pressured Asus to cancel Android/Windows dual-boot devices"

Google works with partners.  It is a different model.  If one of those partners takes a step to shoot Google in the foot, I'd expect Google to tell them to stop.  That's not really being evil or newsworthy.  Cancelling business dealings with them wouldn't be out of order, certainly.  If they threatened to cover them in honey and throw them on a fire ant nest, that would be a 'break out the popcorn' headline and newsworthy.

• Reply 18 of 130
    Quote:

I think the big difference is Google is championing a "Open" OS, do with it what you like or at least that's what the are always saying. If this article is true then that's not very "open" to me.

• Reply 19 of 130
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Google doesn't own Asus so they really have no right pressuring them to do anything. On top of that Android is supposed to be "open-sourced" so they should be allowed to use it however they want. Guess the Android fanboys forgot about that. It's more surprising Microsoft didn't threaten to pull licensing agreements to use windows if they went through with it. Apple may not allow Android to be booted on iPads, but they are pretty generous in giving people all the tools, short of software, to install windows on any Mac.

A manufacturer can do what they want with Android, see Amazon and Nokia. Google has contracted Asus to build its line of Nexus tablets. Them building a tablet that runs Android and Windows is potentially a conflict of interest.
  • Reply 20 of 130
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »

Their hand was forced.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1049883/xponmac.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4816520.stm