Apple continues to add share in U.S. smartphone market, now holds 42%

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Smartphone buyers in the U.S. continue to flock toward Apple as the iPhone maker saw its marketshare tick upward to 41.6 percent --?nearly as much as its four closest competitors combined --?for the three months ending in January, according to data released Friday.

comScore Jan 2014


Apple's share represents a 1 percentage point bump from the previous quarter and a 3.8 percentage point year-over-year increase, market research firm comScore said in a new report. Samsung remains a distant second with 26.7 percent of the market, though the South Korean conglomerate did post a marginally more robust 1.3 percentage point increase.

LG, Motorola, and HTC rounded out the top 5 vendors with 6.9 percent, 6.4 percent, and 5.4 percent of the market, respectively. All three have lost share year-over-year, though LG fared the best -- dropping just 0.1 percentage points in that period -- likely thanks to its close relationship with Google.

Meanwhile, the gap between Apple's iOS and Google's Android mobile operating systems narrowed to just 10.1 percent in the January quarter, as Android ended the period down 0.5 percentage points to 51.7 percent. That margin was 14.5 percent one year ago.

Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry, for its part, continues to slide. The company lost 0.5 percentage points in the quarter to end with 3.1 percent of the market, ceding third place to Microsoft's 3.2 percent share.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Impressive by Apple. Not surprised by Samsung since they're just giving away Note 3s.

    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 2 of 48
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    At the time I'm writing this, your link above points to a March *2013* report by comScore.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,388member
    normm wrote: »
    At the time I'm writing this, your link above points to a March *2013* report by comScore.

    This is the one they probably meant to point to. From early last month:
    https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Press_Releases/2014/2/comScore_Reports_December_2013_US_Smartphone_Subscriber_Market_Share
  • Reply 4 of 48
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

    So just this week, I replaced my son's decrepit feature phone with a 5s, at an AT&T store.  I was struck by by how visually DOMINANT all the competitor's presentations were.  Apple is in a small corner (the frontmost corner in fact, which doesn't catch your eye on your initial entrance into the store's space).  They occupy less than 30% of the available retail frontage in the store, probably closer to 25%.

     

    I couldn't resist asking the salesperson how the sales ratio of iPhones to the rest of the inventory was doing, and he said iPhones were around 60% of their business.

     

    He added that this also varies by location... this store is definitely suburban middle-class.  In more rural locations, Android tended to have a slight edge, a little over 50% of sales.

  • Reply 5 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    So just this week, I replaced my son's decrepit feature phone with a 5s, at an AT&T store.  I was struck by by how visually DOMINANT all the competitor's presentations were.  Apple is in a small corner (the frontmost corner in fact, which doesn't catch your eye on your initial entrance into the store's space).  They occupy less than 30% of the available retail frontage in the store, probably closer to 25%.

    I couldn't resist asking the salesperson how the sales ratio of iPhones to the rest of the inventory was doing, and he said iPhones were around 60% of their business.

    He added that this also varies by location... this store is definitely suburban middle-class.  In more rural locations, Android tended to have a slight edge, a little over 50% of sales.

    Not surprised. The Android OEMs pay more for space/location.
  • Reply 7 of 48

    What? But all the hypergeeks tell me the Galaxy S5 is out there curing cancer, solving the Ukraine crisis and bringing relief to the sick, poor and disenfranchised! Do you mean to tell me Samsung is not washing the feet of lepers?

  • Reply 8 of 48
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

    ... the iPhone maker saw its marketshare tick upward to 41.6 percent — nearly as much as its four closest competitors combined ...

     

    "Winning."

  • Reply 9 of 48
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

    Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

     

    What? But all the hypergeeks tell me the Galaxy S5 is out there curing cancer, solving the Ukraine crisis and bringing relief to the sick, poor and disenfranchised! Do you mean to tell me Samsung is not washing the feet of lepers?


     

    LOL.  Not with 32-bit hardware and a 32-bit OS it ain't.

  • Reply 10 of 48
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    If I wanted an Android phone I would buy a HTC One. What drives Androids to Samsung? Is it the software, phone (screen size?), advertising? Curious -- thx.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post



    Impressive by Apple. Not surprised by Samsung since they're just giving away Note 3s.




    Didn't Opra give way stuff on her show yoo, I think it was G6 from Pontiac, anymore seen a new Pontiac on the road lately.

     

    In Marketing 101 which is obvious that Samsung Marketing department never took this class you learn you never give away what you can sell, and you never drop the price, the price is always the price otherwise you devalue your product. 

  • Reply 12 of 48
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

    Looks like we got some Samsung paid bloggers showing up here trying to sell their products to the community, Mods time to delete the Milk Maids account.

  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post



    Impressive by Apple. Not surprised by Samsung since they're just giving away Note 3s.

     

    If I get one for free, I would sell it and wait to get iPhone 6.  I love Americans and I am allergic to Samsung lol

  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

     

     

    LOL.  Not with 32-bit hardware and a 32-bit OS it ain't.


    I'm afraid everyone already knows that a 64-bit processor and OS on a smartphone is merely an Apple marketing gimmick.  It's the number of cores, system RAM and clock speed that really makes a difference to users.  64-bit processing will only be important when Android gets it because Android has 90% market share, so anything the iPhone has isn't considered relevant or useful.  When the Galaxy S6 gets a 64-bit processor that's when Apple will be in "deep, deep trouble" again.

     

    /s

  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

     

    So just this week, I replaced my son's decrepit feature phone with a 5s, at an AT&T store.  I was struck by by how visually DOMINANT all the competitor's presentations were.  Apple is in a small corner (the frontmost corner in fact, which doesn't catch your eye on your initial entrance into the store's space).  They occupy less than 30% of the available retail frontage in the store, probably closer to 25%.

     

    I couldn't resist asking the salesperson how the sales ratio of iPhones to the rest of the inventory was doing, and he said iPhones were around 60% of their business.

     

    He added that this also varies by location... this store is definitely suburban middle-class.  In more rural locations, Android tended to have a slight edge, a little over 50% of sales.

     


     

    just goes to show that the iPhone's sell themselves…no need to put on a big circus like the competitors. You could probably put an iPhone on a cylindrical stand renting out a couple square feet and sales would still be 60%.

  • Reply 16 of 48
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    Not surprised. The Android OEMs pay more for space/location.

    I doubt it is only that. Carriers actually want to slow Apple's sales. I expect most would like to slow Android sales as well. They'd prefer Windows to gain some ground. 

  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

     

    I'm afraid everyone already knows that a 64-bit processor and OS on a smartphone is merely an Apple marketing gimmick.  It's the number of cores, system RAM and clock speed that really makes a difference to users.  64-bit processing will only be important when Android gets it because Android has 90% market share, so anything the iPhone has isn't considered relevant or useful.  When the Galaxy S6 gets a 64-bit processor that's when Apple will be in "deep, deep trouble" again.

     

    /s


    Took me a minute to see the little /s at the end of your post. Well done, sir, well done. :-)

  • Reply 18 of 48
    srice wrote: »
    If I wanted an Android phone I would buy a HTC One. What drives Androids to Samsung? Is it the software, phone (screen size?), advertising? Curious -- thx.

    Samsung spends more on advertising their Android devices than ALL of the rest of the manufacturers (including Apple) COMBINED. At $14 Billion dollars, Samsung outspends Apple by about 14 times over. Usually when a company throws that much money at advertising they blow away the competition. That Apple still has a good hold on the markets is a credit to Apple and their products. Microsoft threw several billion dollars toward promoting the Surface products with no effect, but then we know that the ads were even as bad as the product... boardroom break dancing never caught on.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Did Opra  give way stuff on her show, I thing G6 from Pontiac, anymore seen a new Pontiac on the road lately.

    She also declared the MS Surface as "one of her favorite things." That's usually good for a big product bounce. In this case the Surface bounced like an over-ripe tomato.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Samsung spends more on advertising their Android devices than ALL of the rest of the manufacturers (including Apple) COMBINED. At $14 Billion dollars, Samsung outspends Apple by about 14 times over. Usually when a company throws that much money at advertising they blow away the competition. That Apple still has a good hold on the markets is a credit to Apple and their products. Microsoft threw several billion dollars toward promoting the Surface products with no effect, but then we know that the ads were even as bad as the product... boardroom break dancing never caught on.

    Agreed, but in Samsung's case it has paid off. Their lead over the number 3 manufacturer is greater than the lead Apple has on them. Just goes to show you that money can buy some type of love.
Sign In or Register to comment.