Apple continues to add share in U.S. smartphone market, now holds 42%

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    She also declared the MS Surface as "one of her favorite things." That's usually good for a big product bounce. In this case the Surface bounced like an over-ripe tomato.
    Over-ripe tomato. Good one!
  • Reply 22 of 48
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    srice wrote: »
    If I wanted an Android phone I would buy a HTC One. What drives Androids to Samsung? Is it the software, phone (screen size?), advertising? Curious -- thx.

Check out the video linked in the first post. It says "Ellen" in the bottom corner. ... I would assume it's all her fault?!*

* My best guess... you got a better one?... :smokey:
  • Reply 23 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Not surprised. The Android OEMs pay more for space/location.

I doubt it is only that. Carriers actually want to slow Apple's sales. I expect most would like to slow Android sales as well. They'd prefer Windows to gain some ground. 

Why? I would think that whichever phone earns them the most is which one they would recommend to customers the most. Which one has the fewest customer support issues and which smartphone user generally buys bigger data plans or family plans, which tends to buy extended warranties and insurance, which type of user is more loyal to the carrier and upgrades often are other factors. I would expect iPhone users generate the most revenue for the carriers, at least in the US.

• Reply 24 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    iOSFTW
  • Reply 25 of 48
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Smartphone buyers in the U.S. continue to flock toward Apple as the iPhone maker saw its marketshare tick upward to 41.6 percent --nearly as much as its four closest competitors combined -- for the three months ending in January, according to data released Friday.

This is still closely tracking the logistic behavior Horace Dediu noted a few months ago.  At the current rate, iPhone will have 50% of the entire US mobile phone market (not just smartphones!) in October 2015.  As of January it has about 28% of mobile phone subscribers in the US (according to the comScore report).

• Reply 26 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    normm wrote: »
    This is still closely tracking the logistic behavior Horace Dediu noted a few months ago.  At the current rate, iPhone will have 50% of the entire US mobile phone market (not just smartphones!) in October 2015.  As of January it has about 28% of mobile phone subscribers in the US (according to the comScore report).

Horace also said smartphone sales would reach the saturation point in 2015, beginning a decline.
    http://www.asymco.com/2013/10/07/when-will-the-us-reach-smartphone-saturation/
  • Reply 27 of 48
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Impressive by Apple. Not surprised by Samsung since they're just giving away Note 3s.

What a poor picture that selfie was, half the people look decidedly green around the gills as if they were seasick the effect gets worse as you move further from the centre.

Why 13 megapixels crammed into such a small space is not such a good idea that along with an absence of 64 bit real time processing is what makes the iPhone 5s camera so superior.

• Reply 28 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If your phone is half the size of your face, you’re either too young to have a phone or the phone’s too big.

• Reply 29 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    If your phone is half the size of your face, you’re either too young to have a phone or the phone’s too big.

That's a pretty good rule of thumb.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Srice View Post

If I wanted an Android phone I would buy a HTC One. What drives Androids to Samsung? Is it the software, phone (screen size?), advertising? Curious -- thx.

$14 Billion in advertising and promotion.

• Reply 31 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »
    Why? I would think that whichever phone earns them the most is which one they would recommend to customers the most. Which one has the fewest customer support issues and which smartphone user generally buys bigger data plans or family plans, which tends to buy extended warranties and insurance, which type of user is more loyal to the carrier and upgrades often are other factors. I would expect iPhone users generate the most revenue for the carriers, at least in the US.

A salesperson is going to push the phone that makes them not the carrier the most money.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

LOL.  Not with 32-bit hardware and a 32-bit OS it ain't.

You'd think with that bandaid backing they'd be all over the Leper thing....

• Reply 33 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mstone wrote: »

The carrier will push what they are paid to push. To my knowledge, all smartphones are eligible for the same plans so it doesn't matter to the carrier.

You think supermarkets place items at eye level or at the end caps out of the kindness of their hearts? Companies pay for location, location, location.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

And BMW & Mercedes continue to post strong sales, despite increased sales by Kia and Hyundia.

• Reply 35 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Didn't Opra give way stuff on her show yoo, I think it was G6 from Pontiac, anymore seen a new Pontiac on the road lately.

In Marketing 101 which is obvious that Samsung Marketing department never took this class you learn you never give away what you can sell, and you never drop the price, the price is always the price otherwise you devalue your product. 

Oprah also gave away the VW Beetle before she retired. That gift was like giving away an iPhone and iPad latest to her audience.

Either way, the host couldn't give a rat's behind what they're giving away, so long as you're paying them.

• Reply 36 of 48
    willizenwillizen Posts: 18member
    Quote:

So just this week, I replaced my son's decrepit feature phone with a 5s, at an AT&T store.  I was struck by by how visually DOMINANT all the competitor's presentations were.  Apple is in a small corner (the frontmost corner in fact, which doesn't catch your eye on your initial entrance into the store's space). 

The Apple iPhone sells itself. Android phones, not so much. 

• Reply 37 of 48
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Carriers vastly prefer Android because it allows them to make lucrative deals to install crapware, add branding and do the typical artificial crippling of low-end devices to up sell more profitable higher end devices.

They carry the iPhone not because they want to, but because if they didn’t, people wanting iPhones would switch to competitors. So promotion of the iPhone by carriers is usually limited to say “we have it”. 

If you go into a store wanting an iPhone, sales rep will try to push you to Android if you show any sign of hesitation. On the other hand, if they can detect that you’re an “Apple guy” and that you’ve already made your choice, they won’t even mention Android.

• Reply 38 of 48
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Correct me if I'm wrong and please forgive my ignorance before boooooing me away.

So, in the US, where price isn't a factor (flagships cost more or less the same with a contract), the country where all of Apple's services are targeted, the country with more than 300 Apple Stores, the country that has the iPhone since 07, Android is ahead. Most people specifically chose Android. Why? 

While the iPhone isn't outsold by any specific model (Say s5), the best sellers are close to the amount of iPhones being sold (as the carrier charts confirm. Usually the iPhone is first and number 2 is the current galaxy) and the rest are lower end devices, and you guys can't figure it out? Samsung is also growing faster than Apple. This is all US.

Now imagine how pathetic the situation is around the world, in places where Apple is far from having 10% Marketshare. While the iPhone business is extremely healthy (that's not what I'm arguing), it could be so much better if Apple was less arrogant about their decisions, if they didn't had the unconditional support of the usual suspects (the kind of support that sooner or later can bring companies down) and were more flexible about choice within the Apple ecosystem.

It's fairly easy. There's a huge pie out there, with the same size or bigger than the current iPhone pie, a pie of potential Apple costumers, costumers of incredible value for the platform. Those costumers prefer big screens (not 6" or anything close to that, but as sales point with the best sellers, close to 5". Very small devices actually. I myself would prefer something the size of the note 3), prefer setting their favorite apps as default, and that's basically it. There's nothing else that Android offers.

I'm not ignorant or retard, I know that Apple is full aware of the this and is thinking about the Pros and Cons of such things long before I even knew what an iPhone was. The screen size difference wasn't an option because of quality of the screens and how the software was designed for iOS (the quality is a non-issue anymore and devs are still updating the software to iOS 7 and vector graphics. Right? Can someone confirm this?) and Apple wants to provide a cohesive, uniform, constant experience (that's why why can't set something as default, right?).

It's all understandable, but the platform is now huge and stronger than ever. The stability is there. I believe that this is going to be a great year for Apple, they are very close to nullify Android's "advantages" to a huge majority of premium Android users. That has the potential to crack the platform.

Sadly for me, it doesn't make sense for Apple to chase lower price points.

• Reply 39 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

So, in the US, where price isn't a factor (flagships cost more or less the same with a contract), the country where all of Apple's services are targeted, the country with more than 300 Apple Stores, the country that has the iPhone since 07, Android is ahead. Most people specifically chose Android. Why? 

Lack of intelligence combined with a perceived lower price.

it could be so much better if Apple was less arrogant about their decisions

Not sure you mean better. Pretty sure you mean worse.

Those costumers prefer big screens

Oh, come on.

There's nothing else that Android offers.

Interestingly enough, that’s also due to a lack of intelligence and a real lower price! Big stuff is cheaper than actually putting the time, effort, and brainpower into making things smaller!

Sadly for me, it doesn't make sense for Apple to chase lower price points.

Not just for you. Right on.

• Reply 40 of 48
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Srice View Post

I like big screens and a phone that is zippy and does what I need it to do well.  I upgraded from a 3gs to a Note 1 when the 4 came out and still had a tiny screen.  Very happy with that choice for me.  Went to upgrade the Note 1 and considered the HTC One Max.  Build quality is nice and like the idea of beats stereo built in, but they 'missed' for me on the Bezels.  Physically the One Max pocket size is much larger- and when dealing with a large phone pocketability is important.  The One had a slightly larger screen, but the physical dimensions of the whole phone were much much larger.  The Note 3 was much zippier, and despite having a larger screen than the Note 1, it is physically smaller- it actually fits inside the Note 1.

Apple still holds the title for seamlessness, integration, and ease of use- but to me screen size is just more important.  If Apple does introduce a larger screen phone I'll be taking a look at it- but they'd have to make a few changes.  If it looks anything like the horrible picture AI always puts up, its already out.  The iPhones have huge amounts of non-screen space at the top and bottom, scaling the existing phones up won't do- they have to go to close to no bezel.  They also have to let me choose my browser and keyboard.