Gartner ignores Apple's sales numbers, reports Android marketshare doubled iPad in 2013

Comments

• Reply 141 of 165
    crowley wrote: »
    Whose inventory levels, resellers?  How "approximate" are those figures?

Apple knows how many iPads that Best Buy orders, for instance.

Best Buy knows how many iPads get sent to each of their stores and how many people buy them.

But does Apple know how many iPads get sent to each Best Buy store and how many people buy them? Does Apple get that sort of data back from its resellers?

It might not matter to Apple though. I was under the impression that, in general, Apple products don't sit on any shelf for very long. If an iPad gets shipped to a store on a Monday... it probably won't be there next Monday. In other words... every iPad that is in a store will find a home very soon.

How soon will affect a store's current inventory... but I don't think any store has a problem selling iPads.
  • Reply 142 of 165
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Does Apple get that sort of data back from its resellers?

Not sure they’d need to. What iPad DOESN’T connect to Apple during setup?

• Reply 143 of 165
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Why does the author suggest that only Apple report sales to end users?

It is clear that Apple would be aware of the number of units sold through their own stores but they have no accurate info regarding sales through channels.

In the UK, for example, I would guess that only 5% of iPhones are sold through Apple stores. The other 95% would be stock that may or may not be sitting on shelves or in a warehouse waiting to be sold/shipped.

EDIT------------ Oops, didn't see that the topic had been raised...

• Reply 144 of 165
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Not sure they’d need to. What iPad DOESN’T connect to Apple during setup?

Google reported activations. What Google Android phone doesn't connect to Google services during setup. Apple could report activations too then?
  • Reply 145 of 165
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google reported activations. What Google Android phone doesn't connect to Google services during setup. Apple could report activations too then?

Apple receives the serial number, I believe. How many devices have the same serial number?

• Reply 146 of 165
    Apple receives the serial number, I believe. How many devices have the same serial number?

I would think none of them do, Google Android or Apple iDevices.
  • Reply 147 of 165
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

This is about tablets though, and I think Amazon Kindle Fires are included in the Android figures, which presumably isn't activated by Google?  Likewise all other non-Google Play Android devices.

• Reply 148 of 165
    This is about tablets though, and I think Amazon Kindle Fires are included in the Android figures, which presumably isn't activated by Google?  Likewise all other non-Google Play Android devices.
    No Kindles aren't counted in activations. They don't use Google services and don't log into Google Play either.
  • Reply 149 of 165

But Kindles do appear to be included under Android in Gartner's numbers - compare table two to table one.  Assuming the 9.4m Amazon sales in table two are included somewhere in table one, they can only be counted under Android or iOS, and they certainly aren't iOS.

If that's true, then the Android numbers aren't just Google activations.

• Reply 150 of 165
    But Kindles do appear to be included under Android in Gartner's numbers - compare table two to table one.

Ah gotcha, Yes they do. With Kindle sales up only 22% tho most of the growth came from Google Android devices. Those cheap sub-$100 no-name tablets were almost certainly a big hunk of 'em too. That's where the big numbers are probably coming from IMO.
  • Reply 151 of 165
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Ah gotcha, Yes they do. With Kindle sales up only 22% tho most of the growth came from Google Android devices. Those cheap sub-$100 no-name tablets were almost certainly a big hunk of 'em too. That's where the big numbers are probably coming from IMO.

That and TV USB sticks which run Android.

• Reply 152 of 165
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    cropr wrote: »
    <p>I would not just dismiss the Gartner figures as biased. I own a software company who develops smartphone and tablet apps for enterprises. 3 years ago a typical request from a potential customer was to develop first an iOS app and port it later to Android. In 2013 roughly all my customers asked simultaneously an iOS and Android versions of their app. Well in 2014 I have received the first customer request for an Android app only. This means that mindset in the market is gradually shifting.</p><p>If I look to the personal devices of my employees, I see 2 iPads, 4 Android tablets and 1 Surface</p>
    that is just anecdotal. IOS is more profitable than Android for developing by far.
  • Reply 153 of 165
    tsun zutsun zu Posts: 72member

I manage the device business of a large carrier. Last month the leading handset seller in our country decided to quit selling Tablets as sales is low and their brand is suffering as a consequence of poor customer experience. Other vendors are also very cautious about bringing in Tablets as their initial Tablet experiements failed miserably. Initially some sales were made but these white box Tablets quickly started gathering dust or thrown away (yes, they are so awefull) after one or two months. The only Tablets that managed to keep themselves useful after 3 or 4 months are the Nexus/Galaxy ones but they are very limited compared to iPads.

I don't see any threat to iPads from these cheap crappy tablets. Even the shipping numbers may be large (which I doubt), the actual sales numbers will reduce day by day as the fact about awefull experience with these tablets will get spread. Initially people talk about the $200 price tag as if it can be treated as a commodity but people quickly realized that the value they are getting is even samller than the low price.

With a different note - This type of stupidity is not new from Gartner. Search for - "Why does the IT industry continue to listen to Gartner?" and you will find a nice article about the wonderful (/s) predictions Gartner made about PC Industry and how horrible their analysis is. 

• Reply 154 of 165
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member

90% of the apps my company develops are free apps for 3rd parties: timetable app for a bus company, loyalty card app for a shoe shop, ...  The fact that one of my customers is no longer interested in an iOS version of an app, because "Android has 80% of the market" as the customer said, is not anectodical;  The times are changing.  Of course this is related iOS market share in my region, which has dropped below 20%.

• Reply 155 of 165

Not sure you fully grasp what "anecdotal" means, because that's definitely anecdotal to anyone else.

• Reply 156 of 165
    hill60 wrote: »
    That and TV USB sticks which run Android.

You think Gartner is also gathering ship/sales numbers on TV stick to included in their tablet numbers? LOL.
  • Reply 157 of 165
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

You think Gartner is also gathering ship/sales numbers on TV stick to included in their tablet numbers? LOL.

It's about the only way to explain 10's of millions of "others".

ROFL

• Reply 158 of 165

There are loads of smaller brands, cheap entry-level and off-brand crappy tablets out there.  Not to mention that some major manufacturers aren't on the list in their own right - Sony, HP, LG, Barnes & Noble (Nook).

They aren't major movers individually, but they all add up.  

The TV sticks might be included, but there's probably a sizeable number of "Others" that are genuine (though probably rubbish) tablets too.

• Reply 159 of 165
    cropr wrote: »
    90% of the apps my company develops are free apps for 3rd parties: timetable app for a bus company, loyalty card app for a shoe shop, ...  The fact that one of my customers is no longer interested in an iOS version of an app, because "Android has 80% of the market" as the customer said, is not anectodical;  The times are changing.  Of course this is related iOS market share in my region, which has dropped below 20%.

Just curious... what region are you in?

Android has 80% of the worldwide smartphone market. It's a big number for sure... but that also includes a lot of terrible phones sold in developing nations. If you take those away... the addressable market for an app isn't that full 80%

iOS has always had extremely high usage share despite only having 15% market share. That's what developers should be interested in.

I'm a little shocked that a developer is putting so much importance on Android's "80% market share"

And don't forget... market share is just the percentage of phones sold over the last 3 months. We haven't even mentioned installed base.

There are a few hundred million iPhones out in the world right now... whose customers use their iPhones more and spend more money than Android users.

So even though there are more Android devices out in the world... the iOS devices seem to be used more.
  • Reply 160 of 165
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJim View Post

I'm also sticking with the best. Samsung android phone with much larger screen. Apple will get there. Several years late. Or maybe ship iPhone with a magnifying glass.

PS Google is no Microsoft. Android is no Windows.

Android is the recreation of windows on a phone terrible.