Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    joelchujoelchu Posts: 80member
    Just my own anecdote ;) London, more iPhone 5 actively in use (black). Seen lots of 5c everyday, just about every color. Apple is doing big push in the Tube (wall to wall ad) and carrier are doing pretty good deal like £24 a month and no up front cost.

I think one of the big reason the phone is not getting in more hands is because of the 4G. I am on O2 but their 4G don't support iPhone! And EE still too pricy in my opinion.

I think next year will see more people change phone because of the 4G finally roll out en mass.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple simply needs to drop the price on the iPhone 5c.

OK, the current model's price will drop anyway when it becomes last year's model. Give the 2014 model the fingerprint sensor and a 64-bit processor and I'll bet that the selling curve will zoom upward.

• Reply 23 of 79
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

First up we are well aware that the iPhone 5c is just the regular iPhone 5 but with colors.

Ok, so you buy an iPhone 5s instead of a 5c.

Um, how is Apple losing?

They ain't!

They are losing because most think: "I'm not paying 500 euros for an year old phone with plastic. I might as well pay 300 and get an Android".

• Reply 24 of 79
    bradipaobradipao Posts: 145member
    mwhiteco wrote: »
    I just bought my ex a new 5c yesterday from Walmart for $29 she was using a 4 before that, I think that was a great price this is a much better phone that what she had.

The problem with 5C is the price model: in Italy a phone is usually purchased off-contract (because overall expense is lower), the iPhone 5C 16GB is sold (after all taxes) at 629€ that is about 850$. To be compared for example with a Nexus5 at 349€ that is about 450$. I don't want to say what is better, my clarification just to explain why in Europe iPhone is quickly losing market share.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    I have a neice (age 16) and a nephew (age 30). Both have blue iPhone 5c's and love them. Myself, I prefer my daughter's iPhone 5. Maybe this has told Apple that Apple users aren't interested in plastic phones?
  • Reply 26 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    People seem to be forgetting Touch ID. I upgraded early with the AT&T Next program and I would never go back to a phone that didn't have it. I suspect the 5S is more popular than normal because of it.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Some of the other phone purveyors would love to achieve the 5C's share.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradipao View Post

The problem with 5C is the price model: in Italy a phone is usually purchased off-contract (because overall expense is lower), the iPhone 5C 16GB is sold (after all taxes) at 629€ that is about 850$. To be compared for example with a Nexus5 at 349€ that is about 450$. I don't want to say what is better, my clarification just to explain why in Europe iPhone is quickly losing market share.

This!  I am waiting on Apple strategy when this phone becomes the low end model before I call this a fail.   If they match the Nexus phone prices with the 5c this fall they will have a good unlock / emerging market option...   (note: Apple would need to sell at around $300-$350 US to have a decent offering in mid-range / unlock markets)

Tim Cook said at the shareholder meeting that the growth will be in emerging markets and that China is a priority. But if they keep doing nothing about it and keep throwing them rich countries models,  I don't see how this is an important market for Apple...  

Regarding the unlock phone market, its like Apple has buried is head in the sand and still wants to believe the subsidize business model is still ruling. In international markets, customers are tired of insane monthly fees and the trend is quickly moving to unlock phones and this why Apple is losing big chunk of market shares all over the world. Now the Americans who thinks the world revolved around the US and the Apple diehard fanboys want to believe Apple is losing market shares to very cheap sub $100 phones in the wastelands outside of there borders. But this is not the case, they are losing all market segments except the high end, which is now saturated.

• Reply 29 of 79

I think one of the reason Apple made the 5c was to make a product that looked inferior to the 5s.  Then when customers were given the choice they would always pick the 5s.  A `steering product' if you will.

• Reply 30 of 79
    iobserveiobserve Posts: 96member
    In other headlines: Apple selling one iPhone 5c for every 3 5s it sells, making them by far the number one and two selling smartphones in the world.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    joelchu wrote: »
    Just my own anecdote ;) London, more iPhone 5 actively in use (black). Seen lots of 5c everyday, just about every color. Apple is doing big push in the Tube (wall to wall ad) and carrier are doing pretty good deal like £24 a month and no up front cost.

I think one of the big reason the phone is not getting in more hands is because of the 4G. I am on O2 but their 4G don't support iPhone! And EE still too pricy in my opinion.

I think next year will see more people change phone because of the 4G finally roll out en mass.

I'm on 4g on 3....sim only is £15 a month (locked in for a year) it's £18 doing it monthly.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    What they don't show the iPhone 3GS ???
    Ps. The 5c is the mix of the iphone 5 and the iPhone 3GS ... One of my friends thought my phone ( iPhone 3GS ) was the iphone 4c
  • Reply 33 of 79
    If iPhone 5s is a flop, that is in how many sales were lost to competing platforms,not how man people bought the 5s instead.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    For the colorful.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I see a metric shitload of 5cs around, so I very much doubt it's doing badly. It simply not as successful as the 5s, which is currently the most successful phone on the planet. By any other standard, the 5c is a successful product, and I doubt Apple minds that its being outsold by the 5s. I'm sure that's exactly what they wanted.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    I have a 5s and we also have the 5c. I love the 5c it really has a great feel to it. Now I love my 5s but that is because I require the added features. But for people that really don't need the fingerprint or the processor the 5c is an awesome phone
  • Reply 37 of 79
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

First up we are well aware that the iPhone 5c is just the regular iPhone 5 but with colors.

Ok, so you buy an iPhone 5s instead of a 5c.

Um, how is Apple losing?

They ain't!

away back i criticized iPhone 5c for replacing iPhone 5 and not gonna have huge sales but i was wrong in fact iPhones 5c will sell more than other iPhone models starting this year in fall and even more next year, iPhone 5c will have a great feature: Price!

• Reply 38 of 79
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I will add one thought: We need to compare the sales of the 5C with the 4S it replaced this time last year.  We can't compare the 5C with the current 5S!

• Reply 39 of 79
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    I think the 5c is doing just fine. Maybe not the runaway smash Apple was hoping for,but if it makes a profit then it is not a "failure". Apple wanted to distinguish the cheaper phone from the flagship and it definitely succeeded from that standpoint as the 5s is definitely a runaway success. This from a phone with a "tiny screen" and an outer shell that is virtually the same as the 5. With the exception of the gold and space gray colors, the phones look virtually identical to last year's model. This would confuse a lot of buyers and would not distinguish the 5s at first glance. The colors on the 5c are not my cup of tea, but it is still a better phone than most of what is out there. Performance-wise, it is a worthy upgrade from the 4/4s and a worthy upgrade if you didn't want to drop the extra $100, but still wanted a newer iPhone. Time will tell if Apple continues with putting last year's guts into a color shell, but it was worth a try.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Actually you can call it a failure. In general you would expect cheaper phones to sell more. I know people think a cheaper 5C might have affected sales of the 5S, I don't buy it as people who bought the 5S could afford it anyway. Look at the iPad to see the cheaper model sell more. Imagine a world where the iPhone 5C was outselling the iPhone 5S by 2-1 and the 5S was not affected. Of course that would be a world where the iPhone 5C were cheaper.

I think something like that could happen this year. I can't see Apple selling this years model, last years model and last years cheap model. That would make no sense ( why even introduce the plastic model if you revert back to the old scheme? ). So it would be 6, 6C, and 5C. The latter two being plastic. The 5C cheap and sold off contract only in most countries. That could be a game changer as the iPhone 5C is better than most cheap or mid range Androids.