New Android "RAT" infects Google Play apps, turning phones into spyware zombies

Comments

• Reply 161 of 186
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    micronix wrote: »
    The malware doesn't infect Google Play apps, it infects Android apps.

Google Play apps aren't Android apps?
    Android by default has the ability to install these turned OFF.  One has to make an effort to actually get these installed.

As previously noted in this article (I forget by whom), the very common argument as to why Android is better than iOS is because you can side-load apps. I don't think you can have it both ways. You can't use the side-loading apps argument in your favour one day, and then claim this feature is turned off by default and therefore not an issue the next day when there is an article on Android malware.
  • Reply 162 of 186
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MicroNix View Post

The malware doesn't infect Google Play apps, it infects Android apps.

*cough*

the Google Play app market, where legitimate appearing, RAT-infected apps can hide out undetected.

…Dendroid was designed with evading Play Store security

yes, it breached Google Play

RAT contains techniques to bypass detection by Bouncer, Google Play’s automated malware scanner

The specific RAT in Google Play

…the instance of Google’s official Play Store hosting malicious apps is a regular occurrence

• Reply 163 of 186
    The whole nothing is as safe as iOS is just wrong.Apple forces you to use your device how they envisioned it no buts about it in turn they force security on you. Now Android doesn't it is wide open if you want it to happen (with in reason of course) it will allow you to do weather it, be used good or bad depends on end user. But in turn you have to seek that extra level of protection less so in 4.4.2 but anyways its left to the user to use this phone/platform how they want. We don't need special software to sync we have right to use google drive dropbox or any cloud service we have 30models on any giving carrier to pick from @ any time.....you had 1 now you have 1.25 apple puts out a cheap model n less then a few months comes out with the "s" wtf your bill is an extra 10$ for your cloud am I right ? Google gives us full support of there apps/products free and integrated into android.
  • Reply 164 of 186
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member
    No phone fits that description.

maybe not free but all these are seen as better than a 4S.

galaxy s4 &5
    Htc one
    sony xperia z1, z1 compact, and z2

And iphones 5 & 5s
  • Reply 165 of 186
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No phone fits that description.

There might be. There's a pretty big difference between specs (RAM, storage, camera) and features (eye-tracking, waterproofing, voice commands)

• Reply 166 of 186
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Then those phones aren't really "Android " are they? They are Androidish but aren't part of the platform when the fandroids talk about their 80% market share.

It just depends on how one wants to interpret things.  It's technically correct to say that they're Android devices if they run AOSP (Android Open Source Project), which is the stock version of the Android OS.  I don't believe that they're forks like Fire OS is (Fire OS is Kindle's Android fork).

However, you're correct that there is a significant difference between a device running only AOSP and what most people think of when Android is referenced; one of the main differentiators being the addition of Google Play Services running on top of AOSP.  Google Play Services isn't just a buzz-phrase to refer to Google's services (Maps, Drive, etc.).  It's actually a program that runs on Android devices.  It provides additonal API's for developers to utilize to better interface with Google's applications/services as well as the added security measures previously mentioned.

So should they be counted as Android devices?  Android fans tend to want to count them when it comes to sales/market share but not when it comes to security while Apple fans want to count them when it comes to security but not when it comes to sales/market share.  I believe that the majority of the world's population couldn't care less how they're counted.

• Reply 167 of 186
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The whole nothing is as safe as iOS is just wrong.Apple forces you to use your device how they envisioned it no buts about it in turn they force security on you. Now Android doesn't it is wide open if you want it to happen (with in reason of course) it will allow you to do weather it, be used good or bad depends on end user. But in turn you have to seek that extra level of protection less so in 4.4.2 but anyways its left to the user to use this phone/platform how they want. We don't need special software to sync we have right to use google drive dropbox or any cloud service we have 30models on any giving carrier to pick from @ any time.....you had 1 now you have 1.25 apple puts out a cheap model n less then a few months comes out with the "s" wtf your bill is an extra 10$ for your cloud am I right ? Google gives us full support of there apps/products free and integrated into android.

So much wrong in this comment. Apple doesn't force anyone to buy an iPhone. I use Dropbox on my iPhone. I did not know 12 months is a "few". Meanwhile "flagshit" Androids are release every other week. I don't pay for iCloud. How do you sync Android to a PC without software ?
  • Reply 168 of 186
    Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post

Apple forces you to use your device how they envisioned it no buts about it

Nope. You can use terrible browsers, mail clients, maps, etc. all you want.

in turn they force security on you.

Nope. You can be as insecure as you want.

We don't need special software to sync we have right to use google drive dropbox or any cloud service 

And you’re claiming iOS does? And you’re claiming iOS doesn’t?

…we have 30models on any giving carrier to pick from @ any time…

Ah, so you’re not only incoherent, you have NO argument whatsoever.

…you had 1…

3. Which still sell more than your 30 models.

…apple puts out a cheap model n less then a few months comes out with the “s“…

In what capacity was the iPhone 5 a cheap model, and in what capacity is a year “less than a few months”?

…wtf your bill is an extra 10$ for your cloud am I right?

Completely and utterly incorrect.

Google gives us full support of there apps/products free

Yeah, you wouldn’t happen to be the product they sell or anything.

…and integrated into android.

Know what else is integrated into Android?

Ugh, it’s too late for a pun and I’m too tired. Repeal daylight savings time.

• Reply 169 of 186
    larry9larry9 Posts: 15member

Tallest Skill, So, are you a professional hack? With 31,000 plus posts, how do you have time to ever learn anything? Oh, I know.

• Reply 170 of 186
    Hahaha, oh man, these iPhone fanboys suck so bad.

Android causes cancer too fyi. iOS spring water makes you rich; its in the Apple store for $49.99.
  • Reply 171 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

maybe not free but all these are seen as better than a 4S.

galaxy s4 &5

Htc one

sony xperia z1, z1 compact, and z2

And iphones 5 & 5s

the first three don't run iOS, so no - they can't even be considered. I would never recommend android, but for poor destitute people there sometimes is no choice  Some people you just can't reach. They are forever bogged down in their pitiful, worthless lives. Under or not educated, ignorant if they are educated...Android fits them perfectly. 

The last 2 aren't $50, are they?

• Reply 172 of 186
    ripapple wrote: »
    Hahaha, oh man, these iPhone fanboys suck so bad.

Android causes cancer too fyi. iOS spring water makes you rich; its in the Apple store for $49.99.
    You joined just to say that?
  • Reply 173 of 186
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Had a small panic attack when I saw this silly title in my feed.  Looks like a singular app made it into Google Play for a small period of time.  Just another Android FUD article on an Apple site.  

• Reply 174 of 186
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Just another Android FUD article on an Apple site.  

No, but continue thinking you’re safe, I guess.

• Reply 175 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm... Aren't US ISPs given a near monopoly in certain areas (cities) in exchange for providing a given level of service -- like a gas, electric or phone utility? If so, aren't these ISPs subject to regulation/taxes -- especial since they use the public airwaves?

It appears that there may be ways to incentivize the ISPs.

I think you misunderstood what they were referring to as ISP's. They were not talking about consumer ISP's like AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Etc.. They were talking about upstream service providers that provide data centers their network connections, providers like Level3. Also they typically are using fiber, not public airwaves. No they are not a monopoly and most data centers have several providers to prevent a single point of failure. They are however still regulated by the FCC and yes they are certainly subject to being taxed all the way down the food chain so to speak; which is why many data centers are located in states that don't have (or have low) additional state taxes like Texas.

• Reply 176 of 186
    Quote:

No, but continue thinking you’re safe, I guess.

The title of the article would indicate that the whole play store was infiltrated when it appears that there was only one app that has since been removed.  But hey, keep fighting the good fight bro. :rolleyes:

• Reply 177 of 186
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

The title of the article would indicate that the whole play store was infiltrated when it appears that there was only one app that has since been removed.

Yes, I’m sure you are the one who gets to decide what the arbitrary definition of “infiltrated” means, particularly when that’s explicitly what happened¡

• Reply 178 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

DDOS usually attacks web servers. We have been affected on several occasions when we were in a shared colo-datacenter. We had a gamer company on the same firewall/router that we we're on. When some hackers went after the gamer company we got DDOS too. We used to have our own mini datacenter but we opted for the big data center bandwidth and security. As it turns out we had to abandon that program because of DDOS on our neighbors. We brought everything in-house again. A lot more expensive but no attacks for the last year or two. Neighborhood is an accurate analogy. Difference between living in the city and out in the suburbs.

When a data center gets attacked with DDOS they bring in the Cisco security team and try to identify the packet signature and set up an edge router rule to drop the request. This usually takes a couple hours. Once they have identified the packet they notify the upstream providers and start blocking it at the major peering points. Takes a long time and the damage is usually done by the time they get a handle on it.

I'm curious which DC you were colo'ed in. The experiences you mention seem like they didn't have a very well designed network or monitoring service. There are a few options DC's have to combat DDoS attacks and from your description the DC you used did none of them. Yes it's significantly more difficult to defend a DDoS attack to your servers IP's, but an attack on another server in the DC causing service interruptions for your server seems like a poorly managed data center. The first thing they can do is null route the IP(s) being attacked, which kills the service for those IP's but prevents the routers and switches from being overwhelmed causing issues with other servers.

Another option is to employ something like a RioRey (http://www.riorey.com/products-rg.html) that can handle the load of packet inspection to scrub the packets coming from a DDoS. This allows the servers being attacked to remain online (albeit with a slowed connection) rather than being null routed. Some data centers will send all traffic through this type of solution, others will develop a solution that will automate the process of routing specific addresses through an appliance when there are a large number of connections to that address. Also, not all data centers use Cisco routers/switches and a well designed network either automates this with the use of options like a RioRey or gives their system administrators tools to quickly mitigate the impact an attack will have on other clients.

Anyway, Just some food for thought incase you want to revisit collocating your servers in a DC at some point. In a well designed DC those rowdy neighbors shouldn't be impacting you for 3+ hours like you mentioned. I work at a DC (that I won't name or provide propaganda for) and we have several clients that regularly get attacked, everything from Game Services to Streaming music services, and while sometimes they have down time from an attack, our other clients do not.

• Reply 179 of 186
    Quote:

Yes, I’m sure you are the one who gets to decide what the arbitrary definition of “infiltrated” means, particularly when that’s explicitly what happened¡

Doom and gloom for all Android users¡  I'll refrain from a pointless discussion in semantics.  While I appreciate awareness in situations like this, the FUD ad nauseam doesn't do much for me. 

• Reply 180 of 186
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    neo42 wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">The title of the article would indicate that the whole play store was infiltrated when it appears that there was only one app that has since been removed.  But hey, keep fighting the good fight bro. </span>
    :rolleyes:

It was 'infiltrated', I'm guessing you meant 'infested'.