Apple releases iOS 7.1 with CarPlay support, Siri and Touch ID improvements

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I wonder how this experience will be on Android. Is it something, like, BOOM¿

...and it took 17 posts before Google and/or Android got an off-topic mention. image

.... and less than 17 from that for you to -- ever so faithfully and predictably -- point it out. ;) 

• Reply 62 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's the same as Ars Technica, when an article about Microsoft is being posted on. We get all of those anti Apple people posting something pretty quickly. Strange to see it there though. But then, we get a lot of anti Apple posting in Apple articles too.

Let's face it, there's a rivalry between all of the various OSs and manufacturers. It will never stop anywhere, and you just have to get used to it, and stop letting it bother you.

It doesn't bother me at all. image

You certainly don't sound like it in your posts.

• Reply 63 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    .... and less than 17 from that for you to -- every so faithfully and predictably -- point it out. ;)

Your iPhone a little slow today too I see. :D
  • Reply 64 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I don't have this issue.

Neither do I.
  • Reply 65 of 137
    gigatelgigatel Posts: 12member

The App Store is 1000000x times faster. Wow.

• Reply 66 of 137
    I, too, am hoping the crashes during app switching/springboard ops are resolved. They certainly are annoying for such an expensive device.

If iPhone crashes are the worst thing in your life then you are a very lucky person - count your blessings.
    ..bane of my *digital* life ;)
  • Reply 67 of 137
    john.b wrote: »
    :-(

Likely an Apple server overload with so many trying to download this at the same time.
  • Reply 68 of 137
    I wish Siri would get the option to process the voice to text on the phone instead of on Apple servers. I'm so tiered of waiting and waiting and waiting for Sire to come back only to have it get what I said wrong. Then I try again with same results and then try again and finally after a minute and a half too two minutes it gets it right. On the Mac you can enable this feature and it's amazing. As you speak the words just fly onto the screen. If it gets a word wrong you can change it before continuing. This would be the single most productivity enhancement the iPhone could get!
  • Reply 69 of 137
    drdaviddrdavid Posts: 90member
    I thought I heard they were changing the volume button when playing a YouTube video so it didn't block the screen. That seems like such a glaring oversight design wise.
  • Reply 70 of 137
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    melgross wrote: »
    Neither do I.

Did you update OTA? The natural response is to say it's my fault I didn't do a full update thru iTunes, but then I wonder why Apple would allow such a buggy update process with the OTA deltas.

Also, I updated an iPad mini OTA, but the download was 2.5 GB, which seems more than a delta update, and it too has the black search field bug.
  • Reply 71 of 137
    Just updated, and it does feel quicker.
  • Reply 72 of 137
    sporlo wrote: »
    Did you update OTA? The natural response is to say it's my fault I didn't do a full update thru iTunes, but then I wonder why Apple would allow such a buggy update process with the OTA deltas.

Also, I updated an iPad mini OTA, but the download was 2.5 GB, which seems more than a delta update, and it too has the black search field bug.

Ota for my phone. I'm updating my iPad right now as I'm typing this. I always update iOS devices ota. Do t know why the mini update would be that big. Did you update all in between updates before this one? If not, that could be the reason. If you did, then I'm at a loss. I'll see what happens on my iPad once it's through.
  • Reply 73 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post

I thought I heard they were changing the volume button when playing a YouTube video so it didn't block the screen. That seems like such a glaring oversight design wise.

What, on YouTube.com in Safari? That wouldn’t be different from the standard QuickTime control block.

• Reply 74 of 137
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    jony0 wrote: »
    Finally ! It's about time they dedicated substantial resources for this scourge. /s

Seriously, even though it was probably a simple quick fix, this is sooo trivial and much more a personal organizational problem <span style="line-height:1.4em;">than a technical one. </span>
    I guess some business users could possibly carry 10,000 emails for business or legal issues, but unread ?

I've got 14000 unread.
  • Reply 75 of 137
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Videos is still a world of pain. The UI fixes are over due, I don't notice any increase in speed on the 4s. Bit meh.
  • Reply 76 of 137
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

:-(

Likely an Apple server overload with so many trying to download this at the same time.

Yup.  Fixed.

Now, if Apple would just allow OTA updates over the LTE service I pay so much money for...

• Reply 77 of 137
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    melgross wrote: »
    Ota for my phone. I'm updating my iPad right now as I'm typing this. I always update iOS devices ota. Do t know why the mini update would be that big. Did you update all in between updates before this one? If not, that could be the reason. If you did, then I'm at a loss. I'll see what happens on my iPad once it's through.
    Yep all the intermediate updates were applied.
  • Reply 78 of 137
    wubbuswubbus Posts: 70member

Hopefully the performance improvements on iPhone 4 are significant.  It can't possibly get much worse without rendering the phone entirely inoperative.  

Disappointed to see there is still no fix for the "Messages (Saved)" bug that takes up 3.6GB on my phone.  Deleting iMessage threads don't remove these "saved" messages for some reason.  Maybe iOS 7.2...

• Reply 79 of 137
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Must be my slow iPhone. Normally I'm #1 to make a derogative remark about the competition.

:D

Apologies where apologies are due. Lambasting competitors' products is the wrong approach to preach for my preference, which are Apple products. It not only shows my true colours for not fully knowing how a competitors product works, but also shows my lame attempt at humour. Lame humour, which I must stop doing, as it derails a thread which could remain a civilised one and I simply should keep to the topic at hand.
  • Reply 80 of 137
    Has anyone else noticed that the speak selection voice has not changed to match the new Siri voices?