Apple releases iOS 7.1 with CarPlay support, Siri and Touch ID improvements

Comments

• Reply 101 of 137
    YES! They fixed the incoming call buttons was confusing to answer before. Now it's nice clear circle buttons that let you know which options to choose.

And they are left and right.
  • Reply 102 of 137
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    I'd have liked SIRI to note when I stopped touching the home button via TouchID rather than having to keep it physically pressed in.

This change may be one of the UI changes to make the iPhone work in the CarPlay mode more seamlessly.
  • Reply 103 of 137

my best friend%u2019s aunt makes $80 every hour on the computer . She has been laid off for 7 months but last month her paycheck was $14919 just working on the computer for a few hours. have a peek at this website

=================================

http://xurl.es/BEST-JOBS-4-U

================================

• Reply 104 of 137
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    That was one slow download today at noon PST. The first thing that hit me was the BOLDEST system wide font I'd ever seen. I had forgotten when I upgraded from iOS 6 to 7 I went into Settings/General/Accessibility and turned on Bold Text because the font was so hard to read with these old eyes. Apparently this must have been commonly done. When I turned it OFF in 7.1 it looks pretty much like it did turned on in 7.0 4.
  • Reply 105 of 137
    Much faster on iphone 4 ... Still stuck on ios 6 on the 3GS !!! :(
  • Reply 106 of 137
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I've got 14000 unread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I currently have 13,395 unread emails in my Outlook mailbox at work.  But we're not allowed to connect our devices to the Exchange server any more so it's moot.

I'm curious, do you intend to read all of them ? If so, are you catching up and brought it down from 20,000 ?

Did you just get back from a vacation ? Did you merge accounts ?

I just can't fathom how you got there.

• Reply 107 of 137
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

• FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device

Hopefully one day they will do the same for unread email badges as well. I find it somewhat annoying to read email on my iMac yet have badges on the laptop as well as all my other iDevices.

• Reply 108 of 137
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dclay13 View Post

The ability to hold the home button to dictate the listening time to siri will be nice, especially in loud environments.

You can tap the sine wave at bottom to stop Siri listening.

• Reply 109 of 137
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Hi, I'm Jack Ass Analyst here on Wall Street. I am urging my clients to sell their APPL positions

APPL?

Appell Petroleum Corp?

Association of Partners for Public Lands?

Agriculture & Priority Pollutants Laboratories, Inc. ?

• Reply 110 of 137
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    tyler82 wrote: »
    iOS 7 is such a huge step back for iOS. Apple should have never let go of Scott Forstall. Steve Jobs would never allow this garbage.
    For one, the memory system is so screwy, switching between apps, they constantly reload and I lose my information many times, even if background app refresh is turned on. This is maddening when I use my running app, as the GPS can't keep up when the app is not at the front. Also, switching back to Safari, pages constantly reload, which is a pain if you are copying something from another app into a Safari text field. Woops, there goes all that text you entered. Hope it wasn't important!

The buttons are so small and there's no response to what you are pressing. Previous iOS had more depth and would "flash" when you touched a button on the screen so that you know you are touching what you want. 

Then there's the constant crashing and resetting with the Apple logo. Happens on my iPad and my iPhone. Reminds me of kernel panics in OS X 10.0. 

The keyboard has been moved around, so constantly I am touching return, or period, instead of the space bar. What genius thought of changing the size of the keys on something people have been using for 7 years??

The icons are ugly and look like something designed for PlaySkool. 

The animations and transitions are slow. 

Have you installed 7.1?
  • Reply 111 of 137
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Are there any cars available today I can do an CarPlay test with?

I'd kill for an aftermarket version I could self install to replace the garbage iPod integration that came stock.
  • Reply 112 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

That's odd. It hasn't happened with my 5, or my iPad Air.
  • Reply 113 of 137
    asdasd wrote: »
    It's new. Thanks for mentioning.

So a lot of fixes are to negate the original premise of iOS 7 ( and remember the iOS 7 beta was even more radical in its lack of shadows and contrast).

Anyone who thinks that an OS is a finished product, has something to learn. Compare OS X 2000, to OS X 2014, and you'll see differences, major and minor. It's a matter of refinement, not negation of anything.

What Microsoft did with Win 8 was a negation of what they did before. The difference is radical. Some love it, and some hate it. Now Microsoft is adjusting it. Android is different with each release. That's the way it works.
  • Reply 114 of 137
    knowitall wrote: »
    They ruined the dock, it has a black bold font now on 'older' devices.
    You can restore it to the original via settings, general, accessibility, increase contrast and switch of 'reduced transparency'

Mine doesn't. I assume an older device includes the 5.
  • Reply 115 of 137
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Ha, I just went to test out Siri's new voices and asked Siri to "tell me a story". She gives a great answer, try it.
  • Reply 116 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Ha, I just went to test out Siri's new voices and asked Siri to "tell me a story". She gives a great answer, try it.

BA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Took three tries for her to give it up (“What, again?” and “I’m sure I’ve told you already.”), but that’s great.

• Reply 117 of 137
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Hi, I'm Jack Ass Analyst here on Wall Street. I am urging my clients to sell their APPL positions based on the contents of this update. We originally forecasted that this update would contain holographic enhancements and a olfactory sensor, which would allow apps to recognize a food dish. However, since Apple has let us down once again by not meeting our outlandish prognostications, we are urging our clients to SELL.

Samsung, with its lack of filters for the plethora of features it blindly slaps onto and into its phones, proves much more compelling for consumers who are easily delighted by senseless options, which they forget about by the time they arrive home from their local Android bazaar.

I'm glad you're not my dumb ass  big bank broker.

They totally missed the big Apple stock price rise, they still are MS Windows hooked and think Apple is just a shot in the dark.  So they repeatedly recommended I dump my Apple shares at a much lower price than the recent price.

My big bank broker wouldn't even understand what that android Rat is.

My android friends don't even hear this Rat news, they hardly are on the net. In fact one friend android user doesn't even know how to use the net, even though she pays dearly for data service. She's never been a computer user, but was attracted by the big Samsung screen at a lower price than the smaller screen iPhone.  I hope she at least  texts!

• Reply 118 of 137
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Nice update! I just hope the constant Safari crash is fixed. It happens at least 10 times a day for me on my iPhone 5s. Same with my iPad.

If it isn't fixed, my iPad Air is going back to Apple. Consumer's Guarantee Act "Not fit for purpose".

• Reply 119 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wubbus View Post

Hopefully the performance improvements on iPhone 4 are significant.  It can't possibly get much worse without rendering the phone entirely inoperative.

I've got good news and bad news...

Good: I was able to improve the performance of my iP4 with iOS7 substantially.

Bad: It was a hassle.

I just wiped the phone clean. Reinstalled iOS7 like it was a brand new device. It meant I had to reinstall all my apps and recopy all my media and reset all my preferences and recreate my mail accounts and/etc. but the phone is now more responsive. Still not as good as it was with iOS6, but significantly better.

• Reply 120 of 137
    heinzelheinzel Posts: 120member
    sporlo wrote: »
    Nevermind. Turn this setting on, then visit Maps. Major bug. Search field is black. Text is black. Text is invisible. Well done Apple. Solid testing. (feedback submitted)
    Haha, same here, good catch!

Compare the address bar text in the same view with "Darken Colors" on/off: 400400