Rumor: Design of Apple's new big-screen iPhone will be cross between iPhone 5c & 7th-gen iPod nano

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
With Apple widely expected to launch a new, larger iPhone model this year, a new report claims the external design will take numerous cues from the company's mid-range iPhone 5c, as well as its seventh-generation iPod nano.

Alleged details on Apple's plans for this year's iPhone lineup were published on Tuesday by Japanese blog Macotakara. Citing a trusted source, author Danbo said that Apple has designed two larger iPhone models, sporting 4.7- and 5.7-inch displays, which are final candidates for launch later this year.

The anticipated larger iPhone is rumored to be a high-end iPhone 5c, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will continue to have a plastic back, as the iPod nano achieves its colors with anodized aluminum.The new models are apparently a cross between the design of the iPhone 5c and the seventh-generation iPod nano. According to the source, the new, larger iPhone won't be a replacement for the existing iPhone 5c, but will be akin to a higher-end model.

The report gave no indication that the bigger iPhone 5c model will sport the same polycarbonate plastic back as the current model, instead suggesting that Apple would take design cues from its latest iPod nano. Like the iPhone 5c, the seventh-generation iPod nano comes in a range of colors, but does so with an anodized aluminum body rather than plastic.

The new model is reportedly expected to have similar button shapes for volume and mute as the iPhone 5c, as well as the same rounded back edges. In addition, it was said that the holes on the bottom of the handset for speaker and microphone will also follow the design established by the iPhone 5c.

The larger 5.7-inch model is said to be 7 millimeters thick, which would be a half-millimeter thinner than the iPad Air. This thinness would reportedly require the rear iSight camera to protrude slightly from the case, much like with the fifth-generation iPod nano.

The report said it's possible that the phone could become thicker before release to prevent this protrusion. It was said that the iPad Air was also first developed with a thickness of 7 millimeters, but was eventually expanded to 7.5 millimeters.

Macotakara has a respectable track record in predicting Apple's future iPhone plans. Last year, the site's sources revealed the 2013 iPhone lineup would come in a new range of colors, and it was also the first to claim that the iPhone 5s would feature a dual LED flash for more natural looking photos.

The site also was first to state that the new pill-shaped flash module would be accompanied by a circular rear-facing microphone located between the flash and the iSight camera lens.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The design cues they're taking sound more like they're inspired by the iPod Touch than a hybrid of the 5c and Nano.

Which is somewhat believable, though colour me a pastel shade of sceptical.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Anyone ran the numbers; how will a 4.7- and 5.7-inch display affect the OS? Will we get an extra row of app icons, both vertically and horizontally?

How will they cut this display size from the display sheets? There was an article on this site about why the 4" had the AR it has, but alas, I can't find it.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    OK, now I've seen the dumbest story so far this year on AI.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I like those rumors, the sums of all those things gives a good idea of whats coming.

• Reply 5 of 78

How are we to believe that Apple will release a larger iPhone - one that will presumably be more expensive than a 5s - by combining properties from two of their low cost products? 

I'm pretty sure taping a Ford Focus to a Taurus wouldn't create a BMW.

• Reply 6 of 78
    I wonder if they go thin enough to the point that they shrink the headphone jack to maybe 2.5 or 3 & a complete overhaul of their EarPods! Would the industry be ready to go that small!? I know 2.5m has been around just wondering how it would be accepted as the norm lol
  • Reply 7 of 78
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Making a funnier, more colorful high end iPhone would be a great turn in the market. Most top of the line smartphones are very serious and either black or white. Lumias are nicely colored. It could revitalize the market.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    Who makes this stuff up? Really. Like watching Between Two Ferns except people believe it.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The fifth generation iPod nano camera DID NOT protrude from the case surface.

I hope Apple would never go with such a miserable design compromise, which the likes of Samsung and HTC seem so willing to accept. Always execrable excrescences, those camera blebs.

Edit: Macotakara says it was the iPod touch 5th generation that had a lens that "shoots out a little" from the case. Izzat true? Anyway, AI got this part of the original story wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    The 5c may not have been resounding success, but Apple learned a lot.

I would not mind a polycarbonate cased phone. What was surprising to me was that it was almost a copy of the 5. I think that was a mistake. Had the 5c been an improvement to the 5, It would have sold much better.

If the larger phone comes out in polycarbonate and is a big improvement, it will sell very well. Apple will continue to produce the best product for its customers and they will accordingly buy it. I really want to see operational improvements - not case changes. A new microphone / speaker is needed. The phone calls are not easy to hear.

I am waiting to buy my next Mac until after the next products are released. This one keeps on working after 4 years.

I realize that if i buy the current generation Mac, it will be good for 2-3 years technology wise and will work longer. I just like tech. I do not have to have it. I substitute it for golf at which I am not very good.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gtbuzz wrote: »
    The 5c may not have been resounding success, but Apple learned a lot.

I would not mind a polycarbonate cased phone. What was surprising to me was that it was almost a copy of the 5. I think that was a mistake. Had the 5c been an improvement to the 5, It would have sold much better.

If the larger phone comes out in polycarbonate and is a big improvement, it will sell very well. Apple will continue to produce the best product for its customers and they will accordingly buy it. I really want to see operational improvements - not case changes. A new microphone / speaker is needed. The phone calls are not easy to hear.

I am waiting to buy my next Mac until after the next products are released. This one keeps on working after 4 years.

I realize that if i buy the current generation Mac, it will be good for 2-3 years technology wise and will work longer. I just like tech. I do not have to have it. I substitute it for golf at which I am not very good.
    Apple's flagship device is not going to be plastic.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    What happened to the 4.8" iPhone we were supposed to see last June? ;)
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/20/rumor-apple-to-debut-48-iphone-math-device-alongside-next-gen-iphone-in-june

Although this prediction was quite accurate:

"A recent report from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo noted that the next-generation iPhone will likely include a fingerprint scanner built into the home button. He also expects a more affordable iPhone range to debut in the third quarter of 2013. The new model will be similar in design to the iPhone 5 but will replace the expensive aluminum chassis with a polycarbonate version available in six different colorways."
  • Reply 13 of 78
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    negafox wrote: »

It's changed since 3 weeks ago:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/162097/rumor-apple-working-on-4-7-5-6-iphones-for-release-in-q3-2014

I noted a list of sizes we'd had already on that page, 5.7" is new. There's only 5.2", 5.3", 5.4" left before it's a full house.

I guess the reason we have these numbers and no photos is that the workers won't be able to take cameras into work but will talk about what they've seen. The trouble is, they can say anything and reporters can say anything so there's not much point in reporting it. Unless the consensus is one particular size and not every imaginable size then it's meaningless information.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's changed since 3 weeks ago:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/162097/rumor-apple-working-on-4-7-5-6-iphones-for-release-in-q3-2014

I noted a list of sizes we'd had already on that page, 5.7" is new. There's only 5.2", 5.3", 5.4" left before it's a full house.

I guess the reason we have these numbers and no photos is that the workers won't be able to take cameras into work but will talk about what they've seen. The trouble is, they can say anything and reporters can say anything so there's not much point in reporting it. Unless the consensus is one particular size and not every imaginable size then it's meaningless information.

I don't know if this is something you have influence over, but I think it'd be really nice to see a 'rumor roundup' article once a month that gave a summary and comparison of the various theories going round. Would make it a lot easier to see which ones are more credible (i.e, lots of separate sources reporting similar things) and which are just nonsense.

• Reply 15 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by juniorthomas View Post

I'm pretty sure taping a Ford Focus to a Taurus wouldn't create a BMW.

Oh, we’ll see about that.

• Reply 16 of 78
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I this this concept will likely look far more like the iPhone 6 than the description above.

• Reply 17 of 78
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

No way Apple would EVER make anything as FUGLY as that!  

• Reply 18 of 78
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

If they do decide to go with colors again I really hope they learned their lesson with color choice and go with darker tones. A deep navy blue, or dark wine maroon for example would be gorgeous with anodized aluminum. Colors were not the problem with the 5c it was the colors they chose which look far too kindergarten.

• Reply 19 of 78
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    I would love to see a new iPod line inspired by the 5C with data, perhaps voice?

Someone said the other day that there's the possibility of LTE-only android phones this year to decrease licensing, improve prospects for Verizon etc. over their limited CDMA networks. This could work.

A differentiated "iPhod" or "iPhablet" could definitely fill a demo on affordability (as opposed to an iPhone/iPad combo) and provide a longer leg for the iPod side of Apple's metaphorical stool.

The main questions I have are:
    Can consumers comprehend a cheaper, larger-screened device without devaluing the iPhone?
    Can Apple slot such a device into their pricing matrix?
  • Reply 20 of 78
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Colors were not the problem with the 5c it was the colors they chose which look far too kindergarten.

I second this... my son, who landed on a 5s, would have accepted a 5c had it been available in black.