Rumor: Design of Apple's new big-screen iPhone will be cross between iPhone 5c & 7th-gen iPod nano

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

So basically these rumors are saying it's going to look like the Mi3 from Xiaomi? http://www.xiaomi.com/sg/mi3/#design

this one has a 5" screen (8mm Thin)...looks a lot like the iPod Nano.  one of my co-workers (in China) has this.  I've played with it.  it's just too big to hold in one hand.  and it's so thin and slippery (magnesium case) that you just can't grip it comfortably like you would the current iPhones.  You really have to hold it like a tablet.  Single-handed use would be totally out the window on something like this in a 5"+ screen.

I highly doubt that apple would design something that looks like a phone that's been on the market for nearly 6 months already.  I think they were getting the Nano confused with the iPod Touch.  that I could see.  But I really think on a phone this big, a metal back without some kind of grippy surface finish would be a mistake.  That's why i like the design of the 5c so much.  The plastic (yeah it's plastic) but it's really nice and shinny and grippy.  And I'm sure a leather case will also be available....you know, the ones like this year that get crazy dirty just by looking at it. :P

• Reply 22 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Wasn't that speaker hole design established with the last iPod touch model?
  • Reply 23 of 78
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DonSchmidt View Post

I wonder if they go thin enough to the point that they shrink the headphone jack to maybe 2.5 or 3 & a complete overhaul of their EarPods! Would the industry be ready to go that small!? I know 2.5m has been around just wondering how it would be accepted as the norm lol

I'm wondering with bluetooth 4.0 if we are able to ditch the headphone jack all together?  Or when?

• Reply 24 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I'm wondering with bluetooth 4.0 if we are able to ditch the headphone jack all together?  Or when?

NOPE. Bluetooth 4 doesn’t have the bandwidth to carry sound of any meaningful quality, even 2.1 gives nowhere near the same quality as a wired connection. 

I refuse to give up a wired connection until I can’t hear a difference.

• Reply 25 of 78
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post  I've played with it.  it's just too big to hold in one hand.  

People that want a bigger display by and large don't care about one handed use. The advantages to me of a larger display far outweigh using it easily with one hand. For people that still need that particular feature Apple will very likely continue to offer a 4" version. Even with my iPhone 5s I tend to hold it with two hands far more often than with one hand since most of the apps I use either require landscape or look better in landscape. 

• Reply 26 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Enough with this Phablet sized crap. That segment is a fad. I can see something short of 5", but not anything larger.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NOPE. Bluetooth 4 doesn’t have the bandwidth to carry sound of any meaningful quality, even 2.1 gives nowhere near the same quality as a wired connection. 

Ahh - fair enough. I was thinking more battery use but of course audio quality is paramount for people who actually listen to music ( I tend to just listen to podcasts/itunes U)

• Reply 28 of 78
    Quote:

I bought a pair of stereo bluetooth headphones and they blow away the headset from Apple that came with my phone. Hard to describe except a richer and cleaner sound with deeper bass and also just range. It makes my music sound like it is going to CD from 64K.  Would they deliver better sound than some headphones that cost nearly as much as the phone? probably not which is expected but then again the great convenience of wireless and also the fact that they are cushioned and far more comfortable makes my bike rides a lot more pleasant.  I didn't buy any top of the line bluetooth headset either, I think they were around $40 on sale marked down from $60 but got great reviews on Amazon. They also have great mic input when I switch to voice calls and hearing phone calls in stereo sounds a lot better than using the phone. It is like they are in the room. 

• Reply 29 of 78
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

People that want a bigger display by and large don't care about one handed use. The advantages to me of a larger display far outweigh using it easily with one hand. For people that still need that particular feature Apple will very likely continue to offer a 4" version. Even with my iPhone 5s I tend to hold it with two hands far more often than with one hand since most of the apps I use either require landscape or look better in landscape. 

Agreed.  I wasn't saying it's a fail because the size isn't conducive to single-handed use.  just stating the obvious.  I too have the same issue with my 5s.  Despite the increased gesture based controls the tall screen is just a hair too long of a reach for my small man hands :P

That's where i differ from Gruber's argument that if a larger screen iPhone is the next Generation, there will not be a 2nd smaller screen option.  I think Apple will obviously offer the 5s in some modified version this year as the 5c replacement.  However, it's an interesting debate.  It's quite obvious now that the 5c was not a winner from the get-go  I personally like the design of the 5c over the 5s, but the price-point was too close to the 5s for it to be a viable lower-cost alternative.  if they wanted to do two models, they should have dropped the iPhone 4s and the 4 from the line-up and just had the two new ones, with the 5c at a $200 cheaper option to the 5s.  That i still hold from my theories before we even saw the 5c.  I think this 2 phone line-up:  a bigger screen "Pro" and cheaper smaller screen 4" should have been the 5s and 5c but I think the technology just wasn't there 6 months ago.  Now, this year I think it will make more sense to the consumer should Apple release 2 new phones.

• Reply 30 of 78
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I bought a pair of stereo bluetooth headphones ...
    [/quote]

I'm a road biker myself, doing 15,000km/year and would like to know which kind these cheap BT earphones are. If you can post its brand or a link that would be great.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Anyone ran the numbers; how will a 4.7- and 5.7-inch display affect the OS? Will we get an extra row of app icons, both vertically and horizontally?

There are too many unknowns with the sizes and resolutions. Neither the simple nor complex solutions seem Apple-like, but I do think a larger iPhone is coming.
  • Reply 32 of 78

I think next iPhone may support H.265. That's a significant savings in file sizes for video. Is there anything for audio that could allow for a compression of about 50% for a given quality that could then allow BT headsets to be a feasible option?

PS: Apple could use wired headphones with biometrics. I don't think they would be included and may have to be in-ear (which I prefer).

edit: Scratch that. It just occurred to me that audio codecs are decompressed on the device, not at the ear so an improved AAC codec would only benefit the original download and storage of the file.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Anyone ran the numbers; how will a 4.7- and 5.7-inch display affect the OS? Will we get an extra row of app icons, both vertically and horizontally?

There are too many unknowns with the sizes and resolutions. Neither the simple nor complex solutions seem Apple-like, but I do think a larger iPhone is coming.

If they're simply going to stretch the current display and create a similar experience to Android phone apps on a tablet...good luck with that. Besides, I think my current phone is already too large, so not interested in an even larger one. Many do though, so there's that. There's also a 7 generation long history of Apple keeping the same iPhone display width. With all the iPod models over the years one would think they're not going to change the iPhone display much, right?
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I bought a pair of stereo bluetooth headphones ...

[/quote]

I'm a road biker myself, doing 15,000km/year and would like to know which kind these cheap BT earphones are. If you can post its brand or a link that would be great.

I am sure there are better ones than mine but I am extremely happy with them especially for the price. And I remembered the price incorrectly they were only around $20 which is great since at that price almost disposable but I was surprised just how good they sound. They are the Soundbot SB240

Good review here

• Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

How will they cut this display size from the display sheets? There was an article on this site about why the 4" had the AR it has, but alas, I can't find it.

To me, the big question is the impact this will have on the iOS developer community.  Remember, when they made the 4" screen for the iP5, they told developers that they didn't have to do anything, but if  they wanted to, it was relatively easy.  Apple would have to pull the same stunt again if they changed the resolution of the iPhone 4.7" (which means now three resolution types for iPhone, and two for iPad).

As much as the iOS community is about the customers, it is also about the developers and keeping that community vibrant and exciting.

• Reply 35 of 78
    If they're simply going to stretch the current display and create a similar experience to Android phone apps on a tablet...good luck with that. Besides, I think my current phone is already too large, so not interested in an even larger one. Many do though, so there's that. There's also a 7 generation long history of Apple keeping the same iPhone display width. With all the iPod models over the years one would think they're not going to change the iPhone display much, right?

1) I'm not interested in a larger phone but I am interested in a larger display. That said, I don't think they can pull off another iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 scenario where I got a larger display in a smaller volume device.

2) My feeling is they'll have to redo the UI to accommodate for a larger display and then everything else can trickle down from there, like the iPad Air being the display resolution used in the iPad mini, something that can only feasibly scale down and not up.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    To me, the big question is the impact this will have on the iOS developer community.  Remember, when they made the 4" screen for the iP5, they told developers that they didn't have to do anything, but if  they wanted to, it was relatively easy.  Apple would have to pull the same stunt again if they changed the resolution of the iPhone 4.7" (which means now three resolution types for iPhone, and two for iPad).

As much as the iOS community is about the customers, it is also about the developers and keeping that community vibrant and exciting.

But if they keep 16:9 aspect ratio and increase pixels on both axes we might get the same solution but instead of letter boxing the top and bottom we could get a boxing frame around the device. They could also incorporate a zoom, but I have doubts about that since Apple likes to the keep the pixels perfect.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    The 5S is a failure. Apple is not going to take design cues from a failed design.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Ahh - fair enough. I was thinking more battery use but of course audio quality is paramount for people who actually listen to music ( I tend to just listen to podcasts/itunes U)

iTunes music is 256kbps and Bluetooth A2DP audio allows bandwidth up to 768kbps, so with a good, stable connection (and adequate buffering) there should be more than enough bandwidth for good audio playback.

Obviously if you want higher quality or lossless (1411kbps) playback then you'll run into increasing degredation problems, but Bluetooth will certainly be adequate for spoken word podcasts and iTunes U which are often encoded at 128kbps or less.

In my experience the problems with Bluetooth headphones are more related to the build quality and robustness than either sound quality or battery life.

• Reply 40 of 78

I would love to see a larger iPhone that uses a 16:10 instead of 16:9. I find myself needing more width of the display in landscape than height. And  since a larger display will likely get a lot more landscape use that extra bit would mean a lot less scrolling. Yeah I get that for videos 16:9 makes more sense but I wonder what percentage of use is dedicated to watching videos vs. using normal apps in landscape. 

This also applies to computer monitors. I used to have a 30" 16:10 and had to replace it with a 30" 16:9 because I couldn't find any with 16:10 over 23" on sale anymore and it feels like a much smaller monitor. I really miss that added height. I have a lot of extra space on the sides that basically is unused.