6 months after launch, Apple's iTunes Radio already more popular than Spotify

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dalutulak wrote: »
    They should have made iTunes Radio a standalone app if they wanted to draw more attention to it, and preinstalled as well (although I hate having preinstalled apps).

I think they'll keep it in the Music app because it is music, but they could do that to draw more attention to it. They do have a history of segregation the Music nee iPod app services as we've seen both Videos and Podcasts moved to standalone apps.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    This article is so much chum. One gadget site doing a statistically irrelevant survey leading to a bold proclamation that's picked up by another gadget site as a headliner just comes across as very amateurish. But I guess that on days when the other top stories are iPhone and iPod nano cross breeding rumors overheard in a sushi bar from a tiny hole of a burb in Japan this one sort of fits in. We don't need no stinkin science, much less facts. Not that I don't like iTunes Radio (it's free and inside iTunes so what's not to like) but worldwide I'd expect to see Spotify far ahead in usage even if I don't bother with it here in the USA.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    e1618978 wrote: »

Because the iTunes Match subscribers are the paying subscribers of radio maybe?

Because it's free with iTunes Match maybe?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

They are different kinds of services, can't really compare them.

Considering most people are not going to use more than one streaming music service on a daily basis....I'd say they are exactly the same in competing for the same spot in people's lives. So yes, compare away.

• Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dalutulak View Post

They should have made iTunes Radio a standalone app if they wanted to draw more attention to it, and preinstalled as well (although I hate having preinstalled apps).

A fixed tab in the Music app (and popping up on your upon first entry (its the default tab).) Is more than enough.

• Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

I think more people would opt for iTunes Radio while traveling if Apple allowed a low bit rate streaming option.

Apple is not going to delivery low quality audio. They never have, and never will. The bandwidth requirements and data caps are a carrier-imposed problem. Its not an Apple problem to overcome with low quality audio.

I have a limited data plan just as 90% or more do these days. It doesn't stop me from using iTunes Match and iTunes Radio on the go.

• Reply 27 of 34
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dalutulak View Post

iTunes Radio is clearly intended as a way of selling more music so it makes sense that is lives within the store. I agree that it would be nice to have a lighter weight independent app which can link directly to the store, or better still allow purchases without having to go near iTunes. 

• Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Buthidae View Post

I can't wait to hear about how this is terrible news for Apple! 8-)

iTunes Radio comes in last behind Pandora and iHeart Radio. Apple, who's stock fell on the report, is likely considering dropping the failing service.

Samsung, who has announced they will be releasing a competitive radio service soon, says their Radio "will be a lot like iTunes Radio, but considerably better," expects to take over the top spot when released.

In other news, Microsoft, who's stock raised on a report they were "looking into" radio to include in the next major release of Windows in a couple years or so.

• Reply 29 of 34
    Upon loading the iTunes app since the 7.1 update, it briefly showed a "Welcome to iTunes Radio" page then quickly kick me back to the Artists tab. Noooo! :-(
  • Reply 30 of 34
    jungmark wrote: »
    Somehow the dumb media will spin it as a loss for Apple like they do with device marketshare.

Dumb and deaf.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    iTunes Radio comes in last behind Pandora and iHeart Radio. Apple, who's stock fell on the report, is likely considering dropping the failing service.

Samsung, who has announced they will be releasing a competitive radio service soon, says their Radio "will be a lot like iTunes Radio, but considerably better," expects to take over the top spot when released.

In other news, Microsoft, who's stock raised on a report they were "looking into" radio to include in the next major release of Windows in a couple years or so.

Steady on; you're not in training for the position of Satan (I hope).
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Upon loading the iTunes app since the 7.1 update, it briefly showed a "Welcome to iTunes Radio" page then quickly kick me back to the Artists tab. Noooo! :-(

Happened to me twice. :)
  • Reply 33 of 34
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    pmz wrote: »
    Considering most people are not going to use more than one streaming music service on a daily basis....I'd say they are exactly the same in competing for the same spot in people's lives. So yes, compare away.

Well, Spotify offers a lot more than iTunes Radio does. That's what I meant when I said that you can't compare them.