Rumor: Design of Apple's new big-screen iPhone will be cross between iPhone 5c & 7th-gen iPod nano

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

I second this... my son, who landed on a 5s, would have accepted a 5c had it been available in black.

I'm pretty sure your/your son's behavior was exactly what Apple predicted and desired.

• Reply 42 of 78
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The 5S is a failure. Apple is not going to take design cues from a failed design.

I assume you mean the 5C not the 5S.  And I think the reason it didn't meet sales expectations (but was far from a "failure") was the pricing, not the case design.  If Apple had cut the price of the 5C in half, they would have sold more than twice as many (and probably made less profit, even before factoring in that they would have sold few 5S models as well).

• Reply 43 of 78
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Good review here
    [YT vid]

Thanks! Boy, what a world to explore. Didn't know there were so many inexpensive options available.
    [CONTENTEMBED=/t/163476/rumor-design-of-apples-new-big-screen-iphone-will-be-cross-between-iphone-5c-7th-gen-ipod-nano#post_2485085 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED]
    As much as the iOS community is about the customers, it is also about the developers and keeping that community vibrant and exciting.

Good point.
    solipsismx wrote: »

1) I'm not interested in a larger phone but I am interested in a larger display. That said, I don't think they can pull off another iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 scenario where I got a larger display in a smaller volume device.

I'm with you on that one, and certainly won't be buying a larger FF iPhone than it is now. I care more for its portability than a larger screen.
    2) My feeling is they'll have to redo the UI to accommodate for a larger display and then everything else can trickle down from there, like the iPad Air being the display resolution used in the iPad mini, something that can only feasibly scale down and not up.

Scaling up was a perfectly understandable thing they did with the introduction of the iPad. Nowadays they shouldn't be doing that anymore, create a 'perfect' display size with a logical evolution of the screen AR and what is being displayed. The 4" screen made sense, which might've pissed off developers for creating yet another display size and AR, but hey, they survived (I think).
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    The 5S is a failure. Apple is not going to take design cues from a failed design.

5C you mean?
  • Reply 44 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

lol. And lol if 5C.

• Reply 45 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I'm with you on that one, and certainly won't be buying a larger FF iPhone than it is now. I care more for its portability than a larger screen.

I might buy a larger iPhone but I'll have to check it out first to make sure the tradeoffs are worthwhile for my needs. Basically the same thing with the iPad 3 over the iPad 2. I certainly didn't want it to be thicker and heavier but that Retina display was worth it for me.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I think one reason Apple might have been hesitant to release a larger display is the fear that it will lower sales for the iPad. With a larger iPhone there might be less need for an iPad. I can only speak for myself  but if I had a 5" iPhone I would be far less likely to upgrade my iPad 4th gen or at least upgrade quite as frequently. I bought the iPad simply because the iPhone gets very frustrating to use since it is so small. There is quite a shock when you switch to an iPhone after using an iPad for a while. 

• Reply 47 of 78
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I might buy a larger iPhone but I'll have to check it out first to make sure the tradeoffs are worthwhile for my needs.

Good point.
    Basically the same thing with the iPad 3 over the iPad 2. I certainly didn't want it to be thicker and heavier but that Retina display was worth it for me.

I did the same, albeit without the weight weighing in on my decision. (photography hobbyist here). You're using an iPad Air aren't you? Is the reduced weight really something 'useful'? I understand why people 'like' it, but is it worth trading in an iPad, again, for the latest and greatest? If I start doing that on every generation it'll set me back much more than from what I've read on the high value the US gives for last gen iPads. Or iPhones for that matter.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Making a funnier, more colorful high end iPhone would be a great turn in the market. Most top of the line smartphones are very serious and either black or white. Lumias are nicely colored. It could revitalize the market.

... yeah, like the Lumias did. < not >

• Reply 49 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I think one reason Apple might have been hesitant to release a larger display is the fear that it will lower sales for the iPad. With a larger iPhone there might be less need for an iPad. I can only speak for myself  but if I had a 5" iPhone I would be far less likely to upgrade my iPad 4th gen or at least upgrade quite as frequently. I bought the iPad simply because the iPhone gets very frustrating to use since it is so small. There is quite a shock when you switch to an iPhone after using an iPad for a while. 

Apple is never afraid of cannibalizing their own product sales with new products.. established fact.

• Reply 50 of 78
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Apple is never afraid of cannibalizing their own product sales with new products.. established fact.

No one knows what Apple is thinking except for Apple. All we can do is speculate. The long rumored xMac that would have offered something between the Mac Pro and iMac more affordable is likely an area Apple didn't want to risk cannibalizing sales. But in this case an iPhone is a more expensive product than an iPad so less of an issue. 

• Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple's flagship device is not going to be plastic.

It's time for Liquid Metal to show up...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I guess the reason we have these numbers and no photos is that the workers won't be able to take cameras into work but will talk about what they've seen. The trouble is, they can say anything and reporters can say anything so there's not much point in reporting it. Unless the consensus is one particular size and not every imaginable size then it's meaningless information.

They each could be seeing various prototypes being mocked up, and what they see may not even be iPhones but a new product for an unannounced market. Only Sir Johnny Ive knows.

• Reply 52 of 78
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    gwmac wrote: »
    I get that for videos 16:9 makes more sense but I wonder what percentage of use is dedicated to watching videos vs. using normal apps in landscape.

The consideration with a phone is that it has to be held in one hand to make a call so there is a restriction of some sort on the width. Once you decide on a comfortable width, then the best decision to make next is to maximize the display size vertically to a standard aspect but within reason (21:9 has been done but is a little extreme for pocketability). Given that Apple had settled on a comfortable physical width, the logical next step to increasing the display was to move from 3:2 to 16:9. If they still want to keep the comfortable width, the next step would be to try and maximize the display inside it or shrink the physical size to match the current display or a bit of both.

I'm still curious to see what they plan to do with the iPod line that is dying quickly. I think the iPod Touch needs to go and have a call-capable model replace it, possibly at a slightly higher price point.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    bradipaobradipao Posts: 145member
    I might buy a larger iPhone but I'll have to check it out first to make sure the tradeoffs are worthwhile for my needs. Basically the same thing with the iPad 3 over the iPad 2. I certainly didn't want it to be thicker and heavier but that Retina display was worth it for me.

If you go for a larger screen (not necessarily a larger smartphone), you will never be able to come back to a smaller one... just like with desktop monitors.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    malax wrote: »
    I assume you mean the 5C not the 5S.  And I think the reason it didn't meet sales expectations (but was far from a "failure") was the pricing, not the case design.  If Apple had cut the price of the 5C in half, they would have sold more than twice as many (and probably made less profit, even before factoring in that they would have sold few 5S models as well).

Either/or, the comment is still wrong. It's like saying a MLB hitter is a failure for only hitting .333 instead of .400.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm still curious to see what they plan to do with the iPod line that is dying quickly. I think the iPod Touch needs to go and have a call-capable model replace it, possibly at a slightly higher price point.

The iPod Touch's price is stuck under a basic iPad Mini at this time, so I wouldn't think it could go up in price, but if they added a phone to it at its current price, it would be a hot item. A friend of mine bought a new iPod Touch and uses it like a phone when ever he's in a wifi zone; which is almost always. If the iPad Mini ever goes down in price, I'm not sure the iPod Touch could exist.

• Reply 56 of 78
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member

I SOOOO hope not!

As it is, the current Nano rightly deserves criticism for aping the Nokia Lumia.

And it's not a nice look. At all.

Keep the dimensions, make it larger, and thin the bezel.

Anodize the aluminum, sure. That's nice.

I hope that's the ONLY thing that is similar to the current Nano.

The round icons - yuck. the Nokia Lumia look - yuck.

Current 5S - nice! Just refine it further.

• Reply 57 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

As it is, the current Nano rightly deserves criticism for aping the Nokia Lumia.

Pro tip: Guess where Nokia got that design.

• Reply 58 of 78

NOPE. Bluetooth 4 doesn’t have the bandwidth to carry sound of any meaningful quality, even 2.1 gives nowhere near the same quality as a wired connection. 

I refuse to give up a wired connection until I can’t hear a difference.
    In earphones it should not matter however they still need the connection unless they start a 3.5 mm to lighting cord.

When apple came out with the iPod nano 7g I thought a simply stretched version to fit a larger screen (including thicker to fit the cellular/wifi chips) would have been great, of course I figured it to be the iPhone 5C design but it would still look great with such a design.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

I SOOOO hope not!

No way man. The 7th gen iPod nano is just a stretched 6th gen with a home button. The design language is basically identical between the 6th and 7th gen iPod nanos. They are basically extruded aluminum with an inset display with black border.

The Nokia N9/Lumia is an evolution of the N8 with a "bulbous" design language. To me at least. iPod nano 6 and 7 gen devices are flat on the back. Lumia's are a little rounded. They still have a slight hint of the dog ear seen in the N8 even. Look at the pictures below. The 6th gen iPod nano was a 2010 device, while the N9 is a 2011 device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Keep the dimensions, make it larger, and thin the bezel.

Anodize the aluminum, sure. That's nice.

I hope that's the ONLY thing that is similar to the current Nano.

The round icons - yuck. the Nokia Lumia look - yuck.

Current 5S - nice! Just refine it further.

You mean keep the shape of the 5/5s, not the dimensions. ;)

Agree with you on the round icons from the iPod nano. All these rumors of 4.7" and 5.7" iOS devices are quite sketchy to me. Apple's usually very good with producing something that is unique and not seen in the market, so I expect something different. If, indeed Apple is still on the 2 year cycle of refreshing the chassis for iPhones.

• Reply 60 of 78
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by juniorthomas View Post

I'm pretty sure taping a Ford Focus to a Taurus wouldn't create a BMW.

Awesome!