Adoption of iOS 7.1 hits 6% in North America after 24 hours in the wild

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
After being available for a little over one day, Apple's iOS 7.1 update is now running on some 5.9 percent of operating devices, an adoption rate comparable to the company's previous iOS 7.0.6 release.

Chitika
Source: Chitika

A report from the analytics arm of ad network Chitika published on Tuesday finds Apple's latest release is on the same track as prior iOS point updates, accounting for 5.9 percent of total North American iOS Web traffic over the past 24 hours.

For the purposes of the study, Chitika Insights looked at tens of millions of U.S. and Canadian online ad impressions originating from iOS devices from Mar. 9 through Mar. 11.

Apple's latest iOS 7.1 was released on Monday, bringing with it a host of feature additions, bug fixes and tweaks. Headline functions include CarPlay, Apple's initiative to take over automobile entertainment systems, and user interface tweaks more in line with the spartan iOS 7 aesthetic.

As first reported by AppleInsider, iOS 7.1 incorporates Touch ID enhancements to remedy a so-called "fade" issue where the system would slowly forget a user's fingerprint data.

Apple also addressed a widespread bug that saw many users suffering from intermittent crashes. The problem occurred while using various apps, including Apple's first-party titles like Mail, and would cause the device to reboot.

Finally, a number of UI tweaks were added to Apple's mobile OS, including a calendar month view, new keyboard typography and faster animations.

On a macro level, Chitika found OS 7 users to account for more than 80 percent of iOS Web traffic over the three-day timespan of this study, a number unchanged since the end of February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I imagine this update will be slower than and plateau faster than 7.0.6 in the coming days because of the requirement for 2.5GiB of free space needed to complete this update.

PS: I'm going to say the next iPhone will get a doubling of capacity so that 32GB is the starting point.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Updated my iPad Air last night and Safari hasn't crashed once since. Even when I'm on this site, which used to crash like crazy. I still have tab reloads though not as much as before 7.1. But to be fair, those existed in iOS 6 so it wasn't anything new to iOS 7 (I do wish Apple would do something about it though).q

Btw, Mixpanel has iOS 7 adoption now at 88%. Quite amazing for software that some claim is the worst piece of garbage Apple ever released.

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/ios_7/from_date:-2,to_date:0
  • Reply 3 of 35

I actually couldn't update yesterday. It was telling me it was unavailable, to try later. If there was others like me, I'm sure that it impacted those numbers negatively.

• Reply 4 of 35
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I imagine this update will be slower than and plateau faster than 7.0.6 in the coming days because of the requirement for 2.5GiB of free space needed to complete this update.

PS: I'm going to say the next iPhone will get a doubling of capacity so that 32GB is the starting point.

You may be right but for the wrong reasons.  Most folks don't know or care about 7.1 because they're either on iOS6 and haven't still noticed the update, or they're on 7 and don't find it needs fixing.  

Also there isn't the "new candy" promotion of a .0 release that brings all the neophiliacs rushing in.

• Reply 5 of 35
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    This update is absolutely fantastic. My 5S is SMOKIN fast now. Coworker's iPhone 4 is like brand new now. Very needed update. Thumbs up apple
  • Reply 6 of 35
    r00fus wrote: »
    You may be right but for the wrong reasons.  Most folks don't know or care about 7.1 because they're either on iOS6 and haven't still noticed the update, or they're on 7 and don't find it needs fixing.  

Also there isn't the "new candy" promotion of a .0 release that brings all the neophiliacs rushing in.

But there are a lot more new features compared to 7.0.6 to which I made my comparison.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I actually couldn't update yesterday. It was telling me it was unavailable, to try later. If there was others like me, I'm sure that it impacted those numbers negatively.

still can't get my iPad2 to update OTA.   my 4s went well using iTunes download.

• Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post

This update is absolutely fantastic. My 5S is SMOKIN fast now. Coworker's iPhone 4 is like brand new now. Very needed update. Thumbs up apple

brand new may be a bit hyperbole, but my 4s is snappier.  Haven't put it through it's paces.

I have noted that google mail downloads are slow today... however, I think that's on google's (or some MiTM) side.

• Reply 9 of 35
    There are two noticeable dips in the plotted curve. However, it is inconceivable that the number of iOS adoptions actually declined to create the dips.

The chart is not measuring adoption rate, it is measuring some obscure metric dealing with ad impressions, which is documented in the text of the article.

The title of the article is bogus. We do not know what the adoption rate is doing based on this data.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    How does share of web traffic turn into number of devices?
  • Reply 11 of 35
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

I am really liking 7.1. For the first time since the week the iPhone 5S went on sale, Touch ID works. It used to work only about 1/4 of the time. I had completely stopped using it. Now it works every time, using the same old, stored fingerprint data. Thank you Apple.

• Reply 12 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I'd sure like to know how these ad/marketing companies get this information. Maybe a hole Apple needs to plug?

• Reply 13 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd sure like to know how these ad/marketing companies get this information. Maybe a hole Apple needs to plug?

OS version is part of every browser string visible to a site owner whenever you visit any website.

• Reply 14 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

OS version is part of every browser string visible to a site owner whenever you visit any website.

And if we work together we can finally eliminate these browser strings! ;)

• Reply 15 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If everyone’s using Safari, why would it need to report that! ;)

• Reply 16 of 35

You should start a User Agent movement.
    We Are Anonymous

• Reply 17 of 35
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Yep, my 4S is smokin' also.  I'm loving this upgrade even more than 7.0.

The download took maybe 5 mins over wifi, then another 10 or so to process.

I do find it interesting that the very first animation renderings were the tiniest bit jittery (nothing like an Android, though).  But after those initial bits, it was all rearview.

• Reply 18 of 35
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:

That would depend on how many people exclusively rely on OTA updates, since that free space requirement doesn't affect those who update via iTunes. 

With 7.1, I think the demand for this update will be far greater than for prior 7.0.X updates simply because it promises to address a broader range of bugs and performance-related issues than those other updates.  The 2.5 GB requirement for an OTA update (on our iPad mini, the free space needed was 1.9 GB) might put off some upgrades for a while.  But, for anyone that might be experiencing screen lag and crashes using 7.0.X, or just looking for smoother and more reliable performance in general, they'll figure out a way to accommodate -- whether clearing out space on their device or using iTunes to do the installation. 

After installing 7.0.4, my iPhone 5s has not had the stability issues that others purportedly continued to experience.  But, in my experience so far, iOS 7.1 is a very noticeable improvement all the way around (except for battery life), and that seems to be the consensus among people who've installed it.  I think word will get around in short order that iOS 7.1 is a no-brainer update. 

• Reply 19 of 35
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Last two phones I bought were 32GB.  I think from now on I'll be going for the 64GB or better if available.  Apps (books) for the kids take up a tremendous amount of space.  Seems like I'm always moving things around to update, etc.

• Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

brand new may be a bit hyperbole, but my 4s is snappier.  Haven't put it through it's paces.

I have noted that google mail downloads are slow today... however, I think that's on google's (or some MiTM) side.

Hey, keep me posted on how your 4S performs. I have given mine to my mother and it is still on iOS 6. I'll update it to 7.1 over the weekend.