Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    WHY DO WE DO THIS NONSENSE?

Prolonged from 2 centuries ago, by lack of demand¡
  • Reply 42 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Honestly, if you're getting a 5c in a month and you've come this far with iOS 6 on your iPhone 4 I'd stick it out using that OS and make a clean break when you get the 5c. An old grandparent who won't be a their party app user wouldn't appreciate an iPhone 4 running 6.0.3.

Yeah well, I'm about to start getting into programming my devices (iPad Air also) and I will target iOS 7. Good to have the low end of the spectrum to check performance on. I'm OK with it being a bit slower for the next month or so until I get the sweet release of upgrading to the A6 and 1GB RAM (of the iPhone 5c).

Since my employer is paying for it I am going to be happy with it for the next 20 months or so and then upgrade to the 6S in 2015.

• Reply 43 of 66
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wubbus View Post

I'm glad that Apple put some focus on improving iPhone 4 performance, and I'm impressed they got that much improvement in the Messages app. But this is a great chart to show just how sluggish iPhone 4 performs on iOS 7.X to iOS 6.X.  Hopefully future 7.X iterations continue this trend.

A few months ago I upgraded my iPhone 4 from iOS 5 to iOS 7.,  then more recently updated it to iOS 7.0.6.

It's definitely faster than on iOS5, plus  more overall speed because of the improved iOS interface.

Most of the time I use WiFi, my carrier's 3G speed is only good after midnight.  Their daytime 3G speed started dropping rapidly about 2.5 years back, obviously too many phones using it.

My iPhone 4 does the job very well for me, mainly basic investment info and news. It more than pays for itself.

Videos are slow, so I avoid them.  The now popular investment videos are not that useful anyway, mainly advertising.

It will be used until failure, still gets an average of 4 days per charge.

• Reply 44 of 66
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Couldn't they simply disable the animations on iOS 7.0 for the iPhone 4? Why first create a poor experience at launch while apparently they could have optimised the software as we see now. They should have known it was sluggish if they actually installed and used it prior to release 7.0

Or not release it for a 4 3 year old phone in the first place.

Reduce motion and iOS 7.1 options its by far better idea! i rather have iOS 7 run slower on my iPhone 4 than not have those animations, 95% of iOS 7 agrees with me! they want full iOS 7 experience, and the other 5% they will never be happy even if the next iPhone will cure cancer they will still find some excuse

sincerely no offence i'm just glad Apple did their way 

• Reply 45 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mortyfink View Post

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that IOS 7.1 is not an improvement at all, just a slightly less crappy version of 7.0 It still isnt an improvement over IOS 6. To be an improvement would mean its actually better than previous generations. But the real question is this, will you be able to charge your phone again without all the BS that so many people experienced the minute they upgraded to 7.0 and not get some lame explanation about lint in the charging port causing thousands iphones to Not be able to charge even with apple equipment....

We shall see.

It's a vast improvement, so it's just you.

• Reply 46 of 66
    imember wrote: »
    Reduce motion and iOS 7.1 options its by far better idea than yours i'm glad Apple is in charge and not you! i rather have iOS 7 run slower on my iPhone 4 than not have those animations, 95% of iOS 7 agrees with me! they want full iOS 7 experience, and the other 5% they will never be happy even if the next iPhone will cure cancer they will still find some excuse

I don't give a rats ass for the animations and therefore turned it off.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    First world problems!!!
  • Reply 48 of 66
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Because.

It's right.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    well expect to be dissapointed then. Jailbreaking will continue to your obvious dislike. Some people like it and thus their needs will be addressed by the jb community.

I singularly dislike jailbreaking.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Not certain that the 7.1 changes with iBeacon will be looked at as improvements by [B]users[/B]. Previously if you turned off a retailer's app that used iBeacons you'd no longer get notifications from them when perusing in the vicinity. 7.1 changes that. Now the retailer is more in control of when you'll see coupons, offers and the like.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Not certain that the 7.1 changes with iBeacon will be looked at as improvements by users. Previously if you turned off a retailer's app that used iBeacons you'd no longer get notifications from them when perusing in the vicinity. 7.1 changes that. Now the retailer is more in control of when you'll see coupons, offers and the like.

This change is absolutely the better way to proceed. I don't want to have to remember to reactivate an app if I think they might offer iBeacons for a given location. That said, I do see your point but think any users that take issue with it need to realize they still have ultimate control over their apps and can simply disable iBeacons for a given app if the vendor makes the foolish choice of spamming their users. For this reason I don't think we'll much of that going on.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    ^ non issue for me as I don't have BT on. That might change if I get a new set of headphones, but like Sol said, there are other ways.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    So, did Apple finally update the software/firmware of Bluetooth 4.0 --> 4.1 in iOS 7.1? The update is JUST a software/firmware update, so there is no excuse for not doing so, no new hardware required!

See:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/12/bluetooth-sig-gets-ready-for-internet-of-things-with-bluetooth-4-1/

Guess not, as Apple still says Bluetooth 4.0 on the iPhone 5s tech specs page :(
    http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/
  • Reply 54 of 66
    So, did Apple finally update the software/firmware of Bluetooth 4.0 --> 4.1 in iOS 7.1? The update is JUST a software/firmware update, so there is no excuse for not doing so, no new hardware required!

See:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/12/bluetooth-sig-gets-ready-for-internet-of-things-with-bluetooth-4-1/

Guess not, as Apple still says Bluetooth 4.0 on the iPhone 5s tech specs page :(
    http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/

No excuse? None? Zip? Zero? Zilch?

How about 4.1 was only announced 3 months ago by the Bluetooth Special Interest Group? How about 4.1 does require the firmware to be updated, as well as aspects of the OS to take advantage of its new features? Furthermore, why is Apple's responsibility to write the firmware for the Broadcom chip that controls BT and WiFi? Finally, if Apple really has no excuse for not instantly forcing Broadcom to update their BT drivers then can you point me to all these other devices from Nokia, MS, Google, etc. that have already updated their BT 4.0 firmware to 4.1?
  • Reply 55 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    This change is absolutely the better way to proceed. I don't want to have to remember to reactivate an app if I think they might offer iBeacons for a given location. That said, I do see your point but think any users that take issue with it need to realize they still have ultimate control over their apps and can simply disable iBeacons for a given app if the vendor makes the foolish choice of spamming their users. For this reason I don't think we'll much of that going on.
    Can you disable iBeacons on a per-app basis after 7.1? As I read it the only way is turning off Bluetooth or location services across the board or uninstalling the offending app. Perhaps the change wasn't properly described? If so you may be correct that there won't be many reasons for a user to be too irritated with it. It's not an Apple-specific tech and personally I'm not welcoming Beasons with open arms.

I run Ghostery to keep the on-line ad tracking to a manageable level. I do believe before all is said and done the only way to avoid physical micro-tracking when out in public is going to be just don't play with Beacons. Almost all the newer Android and all new iPhones are compatible.

Unlike dealing with Apple or Google there's no telling where the information gathered by Beacon apps goes.
    http://beekn.net/2014/03/apple-ios-7-1-launches-major-ibeacon-improvement/?utm_content=buffer20661&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
  • Reply 56 of 66
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Can you disable iBeacons on a per-app basis after 7.1? As I read it the only way is turning off Bluetooth or location services across the board or uninstalling the offending app. Perhaps the change wasn't properly described? If so you may be correct that there won't be many reasons for a user to be too irritated with it.
    http://beekn.net/2014/03/apple-ios-7-1-launches-major-ibeacon-improvement/?utm_content=buffer20661&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I assume it was tied to apps in Location Services, but I can't be certain. If it is an all-or-nothng situation then that is a problem, but it's a problem with Apple's lack of granule control.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member

Just stumbled across another little tweak in 7.1 that I've not seen mentioned: if the camera app's Flash setting is auto, a little yellow flag pops up at the bottom of the screen to warn if the flash is going to fire when you take the picture (this on a 5S). Spent a happy two minutes changing light levels to test it. :no:

I like iOS 7, I can even tolerate the icons now and it's getting much more stable, even on the brand new processors.

• Reply 58 of 66

I just installed it on my 8GB iPhone 4 and amazingly it now feels noticeably snappier overall. Some apps take a bit longer to load but the OS itself feels quicker than 6.1.3.

I did *not* expect that.

• Reply 59 of 66
    simonosimono Posts: 2member
    ireland wrote: »
    Odd first post. Haven't heard about that lint thing.

The lint problem was real for me.

I had a problem where the cable into my car stereo would constantly pop out. I thought it was just shoddy third party cable specs but my 4s connector was lint filled. The apple charging cable worked fine though.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    It's still slower than iOS 6. It still has the bad GUI design. It's still ugly and hard to look at. I'm STILL not downgrading.