Apple releases iOS 7.1 with CarPlay support, Siri and Touch ID improvements

123457»

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 137
    christophb wrote: »
    I'd kill for an aftermarket version I could self install to replace the garbage iPod integration that came stock.
    I concur.
  • Reply 122 of 137
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,674member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Jack Ass Analyst here on Wall Street. I am urging my clients to sell their APPL positions
    APPL?
    Appell Petroleum Corp?
    Association of Partners for Public Lands?
    Agriculture & Priority Pollutants Laboratories, Inc. ?

    Area Police/Private Security Liaison?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APPL
  • Reply 123 of 137
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    melgross wrote: »
    Mine doesn't. I assume an older device includes the 5.

    It showed on a 4s and iPad 3.
  • Reply 124 of 137
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post





    Apologies where apologies are due. Lambasting competitors' products is the wrong approach to preach for my preference, which are Apple products. It not only shows my true colours for not fully knowing how a competitors product works, but also shows my lame attempt at humour. Lame humour, which I must stop doing, as it derails a thread which could remain a civilised one and I simply should keep to the topic at hand.

     

    But if you didn't do this, Gatorguy would stop posting entirely! Wait a min.... sorry I interrupted.

  • Reply 125 of 137
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,674member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Apologies where apologies are due. Lambasting competitors' products is the wrong approach to preach for my preference, which are Apple products. It not only shows my true colours for not fully knowing how a competitors product works, but also shows my lame attempt at humour. Lame humour, which I must stop doing, as it derails a thread which could remain a civilised one and I simply should keep to the topic at hand.

    But if you didn't do this, Gatorguy would stop posting entirely! Wait a min.... sorry I interrupted.

    In all honesty I learn a lot more from reading his posts than using Google to find info on Google/Android. Sorry for turning this is yet another negative post, but I think their search engine sucks. Big time. It gives me results because some keywords were written on a blog 8 years ago, and that is the first hit? I know I can use the time filter, but I shouldn't have to.

    Either Google search sucks, or my search skills lack completely. Now the latter is possible, but I can't understand why Google doesn't do the work for me and I need to be very specific about what results I want. I presumed they would list a more recent hit higher up, but alas, Google search sucks.

    There. I've said it. Maybe [@]Gatorguy[/@] can explain it to me why it sucks. Or why he thinks it doesn't, that would be good to read as well, though I prefer for the search engine 'to just work'. In Google's defence, it might be that the internet webpages aren't tagged 'correctly' and Google is merely doing their best...
  • Reply 126 of 137
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    philboogie wrote: »
    In all honesty I learn a lot more from reading his posts than using Google to find info on Google/Android. Sorry for turning this is yet another negative post, but I think their search engine sucks. Big time. It gives me results because some keywords were written on a blog 8 years ago, and that is the first hit? I know I can use the time filter, but I shouldn't have to.

    Either Google search sucks, or my search skills lack completely. Now the latter is possible, but I can't understand why Google doesn't do the work for me and I need to be very specific about what results I want. I presumed they would list a more recent hit higher up, but alas, Google search sucks.

    There. I've said it. Maybe [@]Gatorguy[/@] can explain it to me why it sucks. Or why he thinks it doesn't, that would be good to read as well, though I prefer for the search engine 'to just work'. In Google's defence, it might be that the internet webpages aren't tagged 'correctly' and Google is merely doing their best...

    Compared to what? Criticising google for search is not the same as criticising them for Android. In search there are really no competitors.
  • Reply 127 of 137
    jony0 wrote: »

    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I'</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">m curious, do you intend to read all of them ? If so, are you catching up and brought it down from 20,000 ?</span>

    Did you just get back from a vacation ? Did you merge accounts ?
    I just can't fathom how you got there.

    He has a lot of work.
  • Reply 128 of 137
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,674member
    asdasd wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    In Google's defence, it might be that the internet webpages aren't tagged 'correctly' and Google is merely doing their best...

    Compared to what? Criticising google for search is not the same as criticising them for Android. In search there are really no competitors.

    That's just the problem; I don't think it can be done 'right' and Google is our best bet for search. If every webpage was properly tagged and had the right keywords any good software developer could create an excellent search engine. But this isn't the reality. Though the way Google implemented it; ranking pages by the most linked to websites isn't the y to go about it, I think. Not that I know of a better way, I just don't get the results I expect when using Google. Nor Bing or Yahoo for that matter.
  • Reply 129 of 137
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    He has a lot of work.

    It's 4 seperate email accounts. I've also had .mac since it was iTools. Just ignoring a few a day adds up. Work mail generates automatic mail when somebody coughs. Or farts. Or adds a file to a build system or changes a document on our shared workspaces. Can't be turned off. I do send certain mail to folders but I don't see a way of deleting a folder. I can select all and mark read but not delete.
  • Reply 130 of 137
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member

    Mine crashed the 1st time i tried the search pull down. Apple Care  had me do a few things. Still doing it. Not Happy at all.

  • Reply 131 of 137
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    @jfc1138
    Siri it would appear does both. Holding down the home button & then releasing it to signal you have stopped talking is a manual method added in addition to the current method, according to the statement in the description. It states it is an alternative.
  • Reply 132 of 137
    phatrsphatrs Posts: 2member

    I really like the sound of CarPlay, but until it becomes more widely available I’ll continue using “Harken For iPhone” in the car. It’s much easier to use than Apple’s music player (bigger text, large buttons/touch areas). There’s also “Harken” on the iPad but I need a new cradle for my iPad so I can’t use it at the moment.



    http://appstore.com/HarkenForiPhone

  • Reply 133 of 137
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heinzel View Post





    Haha, same here, good catch!



    Compare the address bar text in the same view with "Darken Colors" on/off:

    In Satellite and Hybrid view though, not in Standard and not while entering text and not after having searched (or selected from recents): then the location is white on black and completely legible. Did you try and enter text in that field?

     

    Okay now this is sort of cool (don't know if it's new) When I input a route from Philadelphia to Yosemite national Park the thing gave me two routes to choose from: pulled back wide to a globe with what looks suspiciously like a correct sunset line.... and in satellite view the cities on the dark side are illuminated! One day 20 hours. Yeah I've got enough tracks on the iPhone for that!

  • Reply 135 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

    Yeah, um, Apple Earth, anyone?


     

    There’s only one neat thing about Google Earth that I’d like Apple to adopt, and that’s the sun reflection effect on the planet’s surface when you zoom out all the way. Google’s implementation looks almost real, and it’s gorgeous.

  • Reply 136 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    There’s only one neat thing about Google Earth that I’d like Apple to adopt, and that’s the sun reflection effect on the planet’s surface when you zoom out all the way. Google’s implementation looks almost real, and it’s gorgeous.

    edit: My bad. I thought you were referencing that as being Google Earth. In that case I am not sure what you mean.
  • Reply 137 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

    In that case I am not sure what you mean.

     

    Here’s the effect I mean on a real photograph from space.

     

    See the sun reflecting off of both the water and land below, showing up under the clouds? Google Maps does that. Or did. I saw it somewhere. I KNOW that I did. I want to be able to show you in Maps proper, but Maps just doesn’t work at all. At ALL.

     

Sign In or Register to comment.