Rumor: Design of Apple's new big-screen iPhone will be cross between iPhone 5c & 7th-gen iPod nano

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

The 5c may not have been resounding success, but Apple learned a lot.

I would not mind a polycarbonate cased phone. What was surprising to me was that it was almost a copy of the 5. I think that was a mistake. Had the 5c been an improvement to the 5, It would have sold much better.

If the larger phone comes out in polycarbonate and is a big improvement, it will sell very well. Apple will continue to produce the best product for its customers and they will accordingly buy it. I really want to see operational improvements - not case changes. A new microphone / speaker is needed. The phone calls are not easy to hear.

I am waiting to buy my next Mac until after the next products are released. This one keeps on working after 4 years.

I realize that if i buy the current generation Mac, it will be good for 2-3 years technology wise and will work longer. I just like tech. I do not have to have it. I substitute it for golf at which I am not very good.

Apple spent $400,000,000 on a sapphire plant, and you're still thinking plastic? 

• Reply 62 of 78
    themacmanthemacman Posts: 151member
    I don't think so. No way period. Apple has always improved design of the iPhone not gone backwards.
  • Reply 63 of 78
    dobqopdobqop Posts: 9member

no, no more 4\4s\5\5s design strategy. it's very uncomfortable to hold and it looks boring!

• Reply 64 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by dobqop View Post

it's very uncomfortable to hold and it looks boring!

Since neither of those are true, what would you prefer?

• Reply 65 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Since neither of those are true, what would you prefer?

Probably sparkles, glitter, and fake gems.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Probably sparkles, glitter, and fake gems.

Gotcha covered! But those are real gems. And real gold.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

But you have to admit. This one looks pretty darn gorgeous.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

• Reply 67 of 78
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

The iPhone design could be more comfortable to hold.  I think the curvature of the iPhone 3G and 3GS felt better in my hand, and the plastic had a better grip to it.

I'm sure there must be a design possible that combines the higher quality materials and build quality of the latter iPhones with that better physical feel of the 3G and 3GS.

• Reply 68 of 78
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    The market is demanding a larger phone and no doubt Apple will provide it. There are so few iPhone users left in Hong Kong I'm getting lonely.
  • Reply 69 of 78
    Lost in all the talk about the iPhone 5c's lack of appeal on the street was the question of why Apple needed a new phone like the 5c? I think it was an attempt to break a production log jam that would have occurred if the 5s and the 5 were made at the same time. I believe Apple needs a simplier phone for it's second tier phone. The ramp up for the new model iPhone is the largest industrial production ramp in the world if you think about it. They are expecting to go from a standstill to making 750,000, $600 phones a day in a couple of months. Clearing a current complicated model off the deck to make way for the next model makes sense. Making a concurrent model that is easier to produce will reduce pressure on the production ramp. Using all the parts that are not supply constrained in the 6c (perhaps a new name here?) is a given.

The real genius Jony Ive has brought is designing something new that can be made on that scale. No wonder Apple has been hiring more engineers. The numbers on making 750,000 phones a day comes out to $450 million dollars worth of product a day. Apple would be able to make million iPhones in a year if they pulled that off. The 5s was made at 500,000 per day, and I believe the 5c was selling at 1/5th that rate or 100,000 a day. That would mean that Apple would be planning on making 25% more phones in 2014/2015 than in 2013/2014.

I think that is a pretty reasonable projection given this will be the first large screen iPhone, and many people will be looking to upgrade. The carriers are in the midst of a price war so expect them to continue to pay the cost on upgrades for customers with phones over a year old. A second tier phone that could be sold at $500 each and include large screen and the fingerprint sensor will open all kinds of doors for Apple to grow market share. Expect a new 128 Gig phone model as well because the screen real estate will require more storage and a bigger. battery.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    lerxt wrote: »
    The market is demanding a larger phone and no doubt Apple will provide it. There are so few iPhone users left in Hong Kong I'm getting lonely.

The iPhones aren't depleting, China has a lot of people still to migrate from basic phones and Android phones being cheaper have a higher growth rate. The biggest carrier only started shipping iPhones in January:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304173704579261860481395236

"Tim Cook said, "We've been selling with China Mobile now for about a week. And last week was the best week for activations we've ever had in China."

In China itself, Coolpad ranked third with a market share of 11%, behind Samsung's 21% and Lenovo's 13%. Apple came in fifth with 6%.

analysts said the higher upfront costs of China Mobile's iPhone contracts—compared with those at other Chinese carriers—could deter many price-conscious consumers."

To gain volume in a more price-conscious region there just needs to be a cheaper model.
  • Reply 71 of 78

like this one, with a wraparound crystal covered touch panel.

• Reply 72 of 78

I don’t know how I feel about that. I like the matte finish to the metal that they’ve been using forever.

• Reply 73 of 78
    dobqopdobqop Posts: 9member

yeah, matte finish sure looks better

• Reply 74 of 78
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    crowley wrote: »
    The iPhone design could be more comfortable to hold.  I think the curvature of the iPhone 3G and 3GS felt better in my hand, and the plastic had a better grip to it.

I'm sure there must be a design possible that combines the higher quality materials and build quality of the latter iPhones with that better physical feel of the 3G and 3GS.

They're building cameras as much as they are phones. The squared-off 90-degree edges give your cameraphone many useful standing and mounting possibilities that would be impossible or awkward with the slippery shapes of the 3G type.

You can hold it steadier in hand as well. The feel is all about precision.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    dobqop wrote: »

They wouldn't actually need to make the top and bottom parts. If they were able to carve out sapphire in the shape of an iPod nano but hollow, they'd be able to slide the components into it from one end. They'd just need to cut holes for the camera (possibly not the camera at all but maybe the flash), home button, earphone and side buttons but the sapphire would be thin. To hold the insides in place would just need small indents drilled into the inside of the case that the insert with some pins could push into. Perhaps it would be safer to have metal tops and bottoms with rubber between them to help protect the glass from knocks. This kind of design would be almost impossible for 3rd parties to replicate.

However, this could easily revert back to the issues with the iPhone 4 design whereby dropping the device on concrete cracks the whole thing. With metal, it'll put a dent in it worst case and won't need a repair. Corning says it takes 3 times more force to break Gorilla glass 3 than sapphire. I suspect sapphire will be more scratch-resistant but it needs to be shatter resistant too. Metal is shatter resistant but more easily scratched. The choice on which material to use is down to what outcome the manufacturer prefers.

If you go on a picnic, do you take ceramic plates and glass cups? Metal cutlery is ok but typically you'd take plastic plates and cups because you are in a mobile scenario where breakage is more common.
  • Reply 77 of 78
    dobqop wrote: »

Yeah that sort of design:

although there would have to be large black areas at the top and bottom, possibly under the sapphire for the cameras and home button and I wouldn't expect the display to wrap around like that as it would waste too much battery. It might be too slippery to hold too (and cold).
  • Reply 78 of 78

I think, the big issue with the design you post is that it's uncomfortable to hold in landscape mode, and the sharp edge at the top will cut your ear when making phone calls.

anyway, no matter what kind of design apple choose, it should radically differentiate itself from its competitors, and WOW the industry again.