Nintendo Game Cube vs. Microsoft X Box

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Strange. I was waiting at Toys'R'Us before going to the movies this weekend and saw about 20 of the X Boxes stacked up. No one was looking at them, and the demo wasn't turned on/working.

I spent some time on the PS2 (Top Gun demo) and it was pretty cool. The load times still suck though. I saw a Nintendo GameCube demo running but some kids were on it playing Waverunner. I don't follow game consoles enough to realize that the gamecube is *that* new or I would've checked it out.

The hard drive on the xBox seems pretty cool, but you still have to load the games off a CD or whatever right? All I'd use it for is some drivng games and maybe some flight sims or something... Don't see much need for a Hard Drive.

If some good games for the Gamecube come out, I'll probably get one of those. I wouldn't mind having a game console, but I don't know if I'd actually have time to play it. Better to start out cheap. Maybe I'll get a PS One. Nah...gotta keep current.

I can't believe the XBoxes are that 'hot'. They appeared to have every single one still at the Toys R' Us I went to. Anybody want me to pick one or two up for ya?
  • Reply 62 of 107
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I got my gamecube in Rochester this weekend right when it opened. They only had 3 left. Got WaveRace Blue Lagoon and that game is awesome multiplayer fun. Started playing Luigi's mansion and is difficult at first but easy to get the hang of after a bit. You'll definately want a memory card. The controller is awesome compared to the XBox one. No contest.
  • Reply 63 of 107
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Hey Fran441, have you got a GBA controller at all, and if so have you used it with your GameCube?<hr></blockquote>

I have a GBA which should work as a controller for the GC. Unfortunately, I don't believe that the cord that allows you to connect it to your Cube is out yet.

I also am not aware of any games that take advantage of the GBA beyond a controller.
  • Reply 64 of 107
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

I have a GBA which should work as a controller for the GC. Unfortunately, I don't believe that the cord that allows you to connect it to your Cube is out yet.

I also am not aware of any games that take advantage of the GBA beyond a controller.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK thanks!

Out of curiosity (and ignorance) does the GC do anything else besides play games off small discs? Like, is there an internal memory, internet connection or capability to play DVD's and such?
  • Reply 65 of 107
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The GameCube controller is very nice, except the d-pad is ridiculously small, and it does feel a bit cramped.

The XBox controller is way oversized for normal hands...and even then, the 4 main buttons are too small and close together. I do like the feel of the two buttons on the back though.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    Thankfully the D pad isn't used very often. I don't like the placement of the Z trigger. Other than that, best controller I've ever used.
  • Reply 67 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>I got my gamecube in Rochester this weekend right when it opened. They only had 3 left. Got WaveRace Blue Lagoon and that game is awesome multiplayer fun. Started playing Luigi's mansion and is difficult at first but easy to get the hang of after a bit. You'll definately want a memory card. The controller is awesome compared to the XBox one. No contest.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I got my gamecube in Rochester too. Actually, ToysRUs in Henrietta. They had a ton of them. My sister works there and she said they had well over 100. So I didn't have to get up early or anything which is nice. I just went at 10:15 ( opened at 10:00 ) and got one. No line, no hassle. She said they still had some left the next day.

BTW, I love it. The controller is amazing. I bought Madden 2002 with it. It is much improved over the PS2 version. Several bugs were fixed and the graphics were slightly enhanced. Another thing, the game cube is so small and so are the discs. It has to be seen to be believed. I demoed the xbox before I made my descision, but I just could not use the controller. Too big, the buttons are too close and its hard to tell which button is which.
  • Reply 68 of 107
    DoctorGonzo, you live in Connecticut? The one in the USA? The same one I live in? I can find tons of XBox' around here. Same with game Cubes. Seems like stores in eastern CT underestimated the XBox or they only got like 3 or 4. The Circuit City near my house got about 20 Xbox' and 100 game Cubes. They still have some Game Cubes but no XBox'. Hmm seems like the problem isn't Nintendo not selling them fast enough but Microsoft not having enough machines at launch. maybe they should have waited a week or 2 before launch.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Interesting quote here from gamezone.com

<a href="http://gamecube.gamezone.com/news/11_20_01_01_31PM.htm"; target="_blank">http://gamecube.gamezone.com/news/11_20_01_01_31PM.htm</a>;

The NINTENDO GAMECUBE also represented the top video game launch of 2001, with initial hardware unit sales running more than twice that of the Microsoft Xbox, and even Nintendo's own wildly successful Game Boy® Advance, which debuted in June. Many stores reported selling out of the hardware system in a matter of hours.

Apparently Nintendo moved 700,000 already. I wonder how many XBox units MS had ready to ship.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: seb ]</p>
  • Reply 70 of 107
    300,000. 1.1million before the end of year though.
  • Reply 71 of 107
    Bill Gates said 400,000 at the midnight bash in Time's Square and he said 1.5 million to ship by new years. There's no way they can make that target.

Nintendo had 700,000 for launch and they expect a modest 1.1 million through the end of the year.
  • Reply 72 of 107
    XBox- Hard Drive (8-10 GB), Ethernet (no modem), Memory card capable (two slots per controller), plays DVDs (with Microsoft XBox DVD remote), plays Music CDs (and rips out to WMA, I believe), and plays XBox games.

Game Cube- No HD, 3 expansion slots, memory card capable, no DVD playback, no CD playback, plays Game Cube games.
  • Reply 73 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>XBox- Hard Drive (8-10 GB), Ethernet (no modem), Memory card capable (two slots per controller), plays DVDs (with Microsoft XBox DVD remote), plays Music CDs (and rips out to WMA, I believe), and plays XBox games.

Game Cube- No HD, 3 expansion slots, memory card capable, no DVD playback, no CD playback, plays Game Cube games.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes this is true but what are you buying it for? I bought the gamecube to play games. So I saved $100 by not being able to play DVDs, CDs, and rip music.
  • Reply 74 of 107
    [quote]Yes this is true but what are you buying it for? I bought the gamecube to play games. So I saved $100 by not being able to play DVDs, CDs, and rip music. <hr></blockquote>

For the person that has everything (and I know, some posters here do have just about every gadget you could imagine) the added benefits of the X-Box will be irrelevant (except being able to compile your own soundtracks for individual games, which is cool, regardless).

But for the college student or someone who can't afford a game console/computer gaming rig and a DVD player, etc, it is a really a good deal.
  • Reply 75 of 107
    Here are my experiences with the GC and Xbox so far.

I picked up an Xbox after nearly 3 hours in line at a local BestBuy took it home, hooked it up played it until noon. I like the controller as it fits my hands very well. I like the PS controller and I've played our Dreamcast since the day they came to market, so I think I like Xbox's controller as I find it very similar to that of the DC with a little more heft as it definately feels more solid.

The graphics are awesome and Halo is IMO simply the best game on any console. I saw Rogue Leader on the GC at a local Target and it looked good but not as good as Halo IMO. I guess I expected more as RL is from what I have heard a very good reason to pick up a GC in the first place. I tried the game out and it was smooth but I did not care much for the controller. I'm not a big guy but the controller felt very cheaply made and it felt very awkward and small in my hands. Probably because I am used to the DC controller. Of course this is not really a big deal since any of use can buy other 3rd party controllers that we may prefer more.

From what I have seen both systems are doing very well and will continue to do so throughout the holiday season.

Gamewise I feel that Xbox has a slightly more well rounded release of games. They have invested 500 million into Xbox and should get a good return from a 20 billion dollar a year industry for very little relative investment.

I prefer Xbox but hope and expect both to do well as the more choices we as gamers have the better it is for all of us. And with such deep pockets of everyone involved this should be very interesting for some time to come.
  • Reply 76 of 107
    [quote]Yes this is true but what are you buying it for?<hr></blockquote>

I didn't buy it. I won it.
  • Reply 77 of 107
    Fran, as you own consoles from the big three players, how do you rank them at this point? I'm so tempted to open one of my XBoxes. Heh.

MacFan, how do you like the XBox controller's buttons, which are closer together and smaller than even the GameCube's buttons? Nintendo should have mad the "B" button a 'bean' as well.
  • Reply 78 of 107
    I never played Super Monkey Ball until today, so I had to convince myself long and hard to buy such a silly looking game. It's funny though...this game is worth every penny. A few of my friends were back from college for Thanksgiving, so we hung out today.

We played Madden 2002 and Super Monkey Ball...I also demo'd Rogue Leader for them since it's only a 1-player game. In the end, I think we spent the most time on Super Monkey Ball. Every game variant we tried was tons of fun, and we didn't even get a chance to unlock the mini-games since we were playing the party games so much.

Super Monkey Ball and Madden 2002 make me wish I had four controllers.

Fran441 hasn't commented much about Monkey Ball, but I'm sure he can attest. It's a lot of fun. It's probably my favorite game so far. So, DoctorGonzo, if you do judge the GameCube by a title such as Super Monkey Ball, it still comes out on top. Four player Monkey Fight would be absolutely hysterical.

I did notice some slowdown in Rogue Leader with the speeder levels: Hoth and the downed Star Destroyer level. It was mostly because my friend was playing for the first time and there were so many objects in level that he hadn't killed. AT-STs, AT-ATs, defense fire from Echo base, etc...

It's a bit suprising because Madden 2002 is smoother on the GameCube than on the XBox. Right now I'm trying to convince my friend to buy an XBox, so we can vary our collections a bit...We have all gatherings at his house anyway, and the GameCube is pretty portable. It's even better because we'll all be done with school by the end of next semester and back in the bay area again.
  • Reply 79 of 107
    To tell you the truth, I really only use XDarwin on OS X to run X apps remotely from the server. I haven't found a need to use a native app designed to be used with XFree over regular OS X...
  • Reply 80 of 107
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    My son has a new black Game Cube sitting on top of his PS2 (which is useful as the only dVD player in the house which will paly my iDVD DVDs! He has dumped the nintendo 64 somewhere I cant see - no doubt to make room for some future Xbox (We'll see about that !).

We are in Tokyo and I am wondering if the US Game cube titles will run on the japanese Gamecube ?

Anyone

Cheers

adam