Latest Apple TV 6.1 update enables AirPlay device discovery over Bluetooth

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    If Bluetooth is not turned on than who cares?
    I never turn it on except for my mouse. Is BT auto turned on ATVs?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    funkfeend wrote: »
    Bonjour uses broadcast packets to announce services. This will not work across segments of a complex network unless specifically enabled by IT.
    I see, thanks. So this particular feature will mainly be for the benefit of businesses using Apple TV for presentations and the like, and maybe a few with highly unusually complicated home wireless systems?
  • Reply 23 of 35
    pazuzu wrote: »

I believe it is on by default. It is how I set up my new Apple TV out of the box.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    starbird73 wrote: »
    I believe it is on by default. It is how I set up my new Apple TV out of the box.

You are correct for those with a 3rd gen Apple TV and a device running iOS 7.0 or later.

• Reply 25 of 35
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Sadly, the 2nd generation ATV doesn't support BT 4.0, so I wasn't able to test this myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

IMO, a BT keyboard makes using the ATV interface far less frustrating.  Almost Apple-like...  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkfeend View Post

Bonjour uses broadcast packets to announce services. This will not work across segments of a complex network unless specifically enabled by IT.

I see, thanks. So this particular feature will mainly be for the benefit of businesses using Apple TV for presentations and the like, and maybe a few with highly unusually complicated home wireless systems?

Yes.  The guy at who wrote the original article at afp548.com is an educator who manages his school's network part-time.

• Reply 26 of 35
    john.b wrote: »
    IMO, a BT keyboard makes using the ATV interface far less frustrating.

At this point I'd wait for the 4th generation Apple TV but you can sell your 2nd gen for about twice as much as it originally cost since it's still jailbreakable.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

At this point I'd wait for the 4th generation Apple TV but you can sell your 2nd gen for about twice as much as it originally cost since it's still jailbreakable.

I should have bought a 3rd generation ATV with the $25 rebate last week.

Shoulda...  Coulda...  Woulda...

• Reply 28 of 35
    solipsismx wrote: »

I can vouch for this. Sold my Apple TV 2, which I bought from the Apple Store the day it first came out, this past weekend, for $217. I set a reserve of $89 and literally within 5 minutes of my posting it, had a bid which met my reserve. That was last Thursday night when I posted it, which allows me to...
    john.b wrote: »
    I should have bought a 3rd generation ATV with the $25 rebate last week.

Shoulda...  Coulda...  Woulda...

... Do exactly this. As soon as I knew it met the reserve, I ordered the 3,2 model and got the $25 iTunes gift card. Plus, even after eBay and PayPal fees? I have enough left over to pick up a second one, which was always my intent. But I am waiting for version 4,1 for that. The 3,2 one will go to the kids room.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    [@]funkfeend[/@],

Just to be clear, you read my [I]touché[/I] comment as an acknowledgment that I should have considered 'this' could also refer to your first sentence?
  • Reply 30 of 35
    solipsismx wrote:
    nasserae wrote: »
    About time! Now bring this to OS X. Hopefully Reflector App will be able to use it.
    I'll install 10.9.3b2 when it arrives (probably next week), then check to see if exists.

I just installed 10.9.3b2 and was able to see my Apple TV's BT on my MBP when I want to the BT setting under General on the Apple TV. However, I was not able to complete the pairing as my MBP shows a 6 digit number that needs to be inputted but there is no screen on the Apple TV that would allow me to input the number. Also, I have no idea if this is different than before because I failed to test before I started my update.

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

[...] Additionally, it would be great if Apple allowed Bluetooth audio streaming from Apple TV. That way, we could just use Bluetooth headphones for this purpose.

Have you listened to Bluetooth headphones? You may not be very happy with the sound quality. I certainly haven't been.

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

A little late, but isn't the Bluetooth part just the handshake?

I'm not clear on how this is supposed to work -- does the ATV use BT to find and identify other devices then use ad-hoc WiFi to carry the data, or is the content carried over Bluetooth? If the latter, the quality is really gonna suffer.

• Reply 32 of 35
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    However, I was not able to complete the pairing as my MBP shows a 6 digit number that needs to be inputted but there is no screen on the Apple TV that would allow me to input the number.

Couldn't you use the Remote app on your iPhone?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    philboogie wrote: »

I never tried but I would have still expected something to appear on the HDTV via the Apple TV.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »

I never tried but I would have still expected something to appear on the HDTV via the Apple TV.

That would make the most sense, yes.

I also tried it, but nothing 'happened', probably because I'm on 10.9.2 (?)
  • Reply 35 of 35
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

This update is also breaking Dolby Digital 5.1 output from Netflix and other sources. I noticed last night while watching a movie that I was getting stereo when I should have been getting surround sound. Sure enough, my A/V receiver was showing "PCM" instead of "Dolby Digital" coming from the ATV. Nothing has changed on my end except this firmware update.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6012766?start=0&tstart=0