Apple releases new animated iPhone 5c ads on Yahoo, NYTimes.com

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Apple on Thursday released a digital advertisement campaign on high-profile websites like Yahoo and The New York Times in an apparent bid to gain wider exposure for its lower priced iPhone 5c handset.

iPhone 5c

The interactive ads, which can be seen on the landing pages of Yahoo and NYTimes.com, feature the 35-dot grid pattern created when an iPhone 5c is covered by Apple's branded silicone case.

While Apple's Yahoo ad stays mainly within a set bounding box, the NYT version "takes over" the homepage with moving dots that ultimately collect in the normal ad space. From there, both iterations randomly display 6 of 17 short videos set to popular music tracks.

For example, Nena's "99 Luftballons" plays as a backtrack for a one clip showing a cloud of red balloons that morph into the iPhone 5c case grid, while another uses the well-known theme from Tetris as the game's iconic blocks represented in dot form fall into place.

The campaign is a departure for Apple, which usually shies away from online ads in favor of print and TV spots. Apple's new online ad initiative is of particular interest considering the iPhone 5c being pushed is seen by some analysts as a struggling product.

A number of reports have claimed the lower cost smartphone is not performing up to Apple's usual gangbuster iPhone sales standards. In January, CEO Tim Cook acknowledged that demand for the 5c was "different than [Apple] thought."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

I liked the Gray and Flashing lights one!  Cool Ad!

• Reply 2 of 28
    ewe7s8ewe7s8 Posts: 4member

Wasn't the consensus of this board that iPhone 5C's would be "flying of the shelves"?

• Reply 3 of 28
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    For all the hand-wringing about the disappointing sales of the 5C, I see it in the hands of lots of kids. I know that's what I bought for a kid I manage. Others in my family have done the same. Much less risky for butter-fingered younger users.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ewe7s8 wrote: »
    Wasn't the consensus of this board that iPhone 5C's would be "flying of the shelves"?
    Source?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    There is a blog on tumblr that also posts advertising videos
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ewe7s8 View Post

No, no consensus.  Some people thought it would be flying off the shelves, but plenty of us were skeptical.  Go back and double-check.

• Reply 7 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Source?

Ignore. User joined today.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

There is a blog on tumblr that also posts advertising videos

Just about to mention that. I saw these around 2 weeks ago

• Reply 9 of 28
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    It's a "We have millions of these sitting on the shelves so we need to throw more advertising out there to get rid of them" campaign.

I know polka dots are in style right now, but those cases are hideous.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Source?

Find it yourself?

• Reply 11 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

And the HTML5 ad onslaught begins. Block that sucker...

• Reply 12 of 28
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

I don't think a lack of exposure is the 5c's sales problem.  It is a nice phone, but iPhone users are generally smart enough to figure out they are not paying $99 for a 5c, and $199 for a 5s.  They are paying @$2500 to use a 5s for two years.  So paying $2400 to get substantially less phone than the 5s doesn't make much sense to them.

The rest either don't want an Apple product, or in many other areas of the world the 5c is simply priced out of their reach.

• Reply 13 of 28
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Weird timing for a 5c marketing push.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Find it yourself?
    I didn't make the claim. Why should I have to find the source?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    It's a "We have millions of these sitting on the shelves so we need to throw more advertising out there to get rid of them" campaign.

I know polka dots are in style right now, but those cases are hideous.
    So every time I see a Samsung commercial on TV or online I'm to assume its because they have product sitting on a shelf somewhere that they're trying to get rid of?
  • Reply 16 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

I don't think a lack of exposure is the 5c's sales problem.  It is a nice phone, but iPhone users are generally smart enough to figure out they are not paying $99 for a 5c, and $199 for a 5s.  They are paying @$2500 to use a 5s for two years.  So paying $2400 to get substantially less phone than the 5s doesn't make much sense to them.

You give people too much credit. Why do you think people have so much credit card debt? Free money until they can't even make the minimum payment and they are being charged 20% interest. 

I think Apple was thinking that the the colors would attract young people but the reception was weaker than expected. I don't think it had anything to do with the price. Young people were just not that impressed with colors because they could buy a case for their iPhone 4 for $20 bucks and toss it in a couple weeks if they changed their mind.

• Reply 17 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ewe7s8 View Post

It is. Now shut your hole.

• Reply 18 of 28

mstone - I fully agree, They are so poor they can't even pay attention.

The 5c sales would be a megahit for companies like MS, LG, Sony, Nokia, others, and not to forget BB.

added  5c sales

• Reply 19 of 28
    jlandd wrote: »
    Weird timing for a 5c marketing push.

Oh, I don't know... Easter egg colors just in time for Easter... followed by graduation gifts. Whether Apple makes something like the 5c again, these will be pushed down to free on the next cycle. I really don't consider the 5c to be so bad electronically. After all, it has the same innards as my iPhone 5, which I love! But, I'm in line for the iPhone 6 on my next buy. And no matter, I don't have a horse in the 5s and 5c race...
  • Reply 20 of 28
    I wonder if this will slow the hit pieces from the NYT.