iOS 7.1 adoption pegged at 18% after 72 hours, tracking in line with prior releases

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
The number of iOS device users who have upgraded to Apple's latest iOS 7.1 update has grown over the past three days to account for 17.9 percent of all iOS traffic in North America, and is expected to overtake the previous iOS 7.0.6 update within a few days, one report says.

According to the latest statistics provided to AppleInsider by Chitika Insights -- ad network Chitika's research arm -- iOS 7.1 is hovering at a 17.9 percent adoption rate in North America 72 hours after launch. The numbers are in line with Apple's previous point updates.

For the purposes of the study, Chitika Insights studied tens of millions of U.S. and Canadian online ad impressions originating from iOS devices from Mar. 9 through Mar. 12.

The firm notes iOS 7.0.6 is still generating a lion's share of Web traffic, approximately doubling that of iOS 7.1. With a stable growth rate, however, Apple's latest iOS version is expected to push past iOS 7.0.6 within a few days.

Apple released iOS 7.1 on Monday with a host of new feature additions and a laundry list of bug fixes and tweaks. While CarPlay (formerly iOS in the Car) hogged most of the spotlight, autos supporting the feature are months out. In the near term, Apple's latest batch of UI tweaks will likely be more impactful.

In addition, iOS 7.1 brings a fix for a Touch ID "fade" issue where the system would slowly forget a user's fingerprint data.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Not having had any Touch ID issues I can't say I've noticed any changes in how it works. I just hope Apple didn't make it work better by making the SW less accurate thereby reducing its level of security. [URL=http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5949]This Apple KB[/URL] still states 1:50,000 so I guess it's all good.

2) This update seems to be tracking lower than 7.0.6 which was at 14% after 48 hours compared to 12% for 7.1. My hypothesis is this is because it's such a large update that not everyone can easily perform if they are using up too much space. According to Chikita, on the 4th day 7.0.6 had a 26% marketshare.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Not having had any Touch ID issues I can't say I've noticed any changes in how it works. I just hope Apple didn't make it work better by making the SW less accurate thereby reducing its level of security. This Apple KB still states 1:50,000 so I guess it's all good.

2) This update seems to be tracking lower than 7.0.6 which was at 14% after 48 hours compared to 12% for 7.1. My hypothesis is this is because it's such a large update that not everyone can easily perform if they are using up too much space. According to Chikita, on the 4th day 7.0.6 had a 26% marketshare.

I was suffering from the Touch ID fading. It has worked every time since the update and I didn't even have to retrain it.

7.0.6 was in the media because of the certificate handling bug. My enterprise IT department has been spamming requiring updates and will cut off corporate email access soon for those that have not updated. So lots of visibility and pressure with 7.0.6.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Looks like word has gotten out that iOS 7.1 fixes a broad cross-sections of bugs, and runs basic tasks faster and smoother.  Having the majority of the iOS user base on version 7.1 probably within the month, that's impressive.

I did experience the Touch ID "fade" and have theorized that it had to do with how iOS 7.0.X would constantly update the fingerprint scans with each successive login (and finger identification scan in the settings).  If you had consecutive unsuccessful login tries and entered a passcode, Touch ID would remember the scans from those unsuccessful tries.  This means that if you ever tried logging in with cold, wet, or dirty hands, those bad scans would get integrated into the print data.  After entering two thumbprints into my phone, I was able to log in with Touch ID more than 90% of the time.  With iOS 7.1, it's now closer to 100%.

The only issue that I've noticed with iOS 7.1 is that it drains the battery a LOT faster on standby.  Assuming that Apple did not also change how the indicator measures battery life, here I suspect that Apple's decision to leave location services on in the background is the culprit.  Otherwise, I have not noted any differences in battery life while using my phone. 

Otherwise, iOS 7.1 noticeably improves performance and stability, and I would regard most of the interface changes as improvements, except for the designer flourishes that made the call screens less functional (i.e., smaller circular buttons, no delineation of the tap space for message or remind me, etc.).

• Reply 4 of 9
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

I had a few issues with the touch ID since installing a waterproof case which fully encloses my iPhone, it worked fine before then and since the update is now back to how it was.

iOS updates overtake Android's offerings very quickly.

• Reply 5 of 9
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Still not going to use it. iOS 7 still has an abysmal GUI and visual design. The reports of marginally improved app launch speed on iPhone 4 isn't enough of an improvement. I'm still on iOS 6, happy with it, and I'm still holding off buying an iPad until I see where Apple is going with iOS 8. Apple actually lost a customer here, since I was there at the store to buy an iPad Air, and didn't because i hated the OS.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dysamoria wrote: »
    Still not going to use it. iOS 7 still has an abysmal GUI and visual design. The reports of marginally improved app launch speed on iPhone 4 isn't enough of an improvement. I'm still on iOS 6, happy with it, and I'm still holding off buying an iPad until I see where Apple is going with iOS 8. Apple actually lost a customer here, since I was there at the store to buy an iPad Air, and didn't because i hated the OS.

Your comment reminds me of this skit… :D

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 7 of 9
    berndogberndog Posts: 90member
    iOS 7.1 is a breath of fresh air. The change to iOS 7.0 was a bit of a challenge for the first day or so. However, as much as it was an improvement IMHO it did slow down my old iPhone 4. With the intro of 7.0.6 it was like I was experiencing cell carrier throttling! 7.1 on the other hand has opened the gate and given my old phone a new lease on life. Thanks Apple - I can now hold out for the iPhone 6.
  • Reply 8 of 9

Watch it go higher if an iOS 7.1 jailbreak is released...  :O)

• Reply 9 of 9
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Got my first Safari crash after 72 hours.