Apple supply chain rumors: 'iPad Pro' on hold, sapphire production limited

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    When Ming-Chi Kuo eventually dies, I imagine the tombstone reading "Ming-Chi Kuo - Was well-connected". Is "Well-connected analyst" on their business card or something?

A business meeting:

"Hello, I'm so and so from such and such company."

"Hello! I'm the world famous and irrefutably well-connected analyst, Ming-Chi Kuo. I'm sure you are aware of my work."

I think it's time to retire that adjective prefix, AI. It just sounds so pretentious and name-droppish. Can we just say "Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities"? Adding "well-connected analyst" to this person's name doesn't help gain any respect from me. Usually when I see their name, I skip over whatever they have to say. I haven't respected tech analysts since well...since I found out they get to make bank by making up BS all day long.
  • Reply 41 of 53
    Sorry. Double post.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Being a Macbook instead of a tablet: USB3, T-bolt and OS X, for three.  It's a totally different animal, similar only in that it's thin and light.  

IOS and OS X are complementary to the max, but there are times when someone just wants to be in OS X.  And if certain kinds of work are in the cards the MBA is still a good pick.  Let's face it: an iPad isn't the right tool for everything.

The MBA isn't the right took for everything either. I know I'm gonna catch hell for saying this, but its really just a next gen netbook which like netbooks, will be replaced with tablets. If certain kinds of work require a Mac, then 13" MBP Retina is in the cards. Its not that much more expensive, and I think Apple will continue to make that offering cheaper, thinner, and lighter which is another reason why the MBA is on the way out. It will no longer be necessary in the lineup. 

• Reply 44 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    macxpress wrote: »
    The MBA isn't the right took for everything either. I know I'm gonna catch hell for saying this, but its really just a next gen netbook which like netbooks, will be replaced with tablets. If certain kinds of work require a Mac, then 13" MBP Retina is in the cards. Its not that much more expensive, and I think Apple will continue to make that offering cheaper, thinner, and lighter which is another reason why the MBA is on the way out. It will no longer be necessary in the lineup. 

I disagree. The MBA will be here for the foreseeable future. Some people like a very light OS X based computer because they travel a lot and need to use OS X based software.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

iPad Pro is an incredibly stupid idea when you consider the size, utility, and awesomeness of the MacBook Air. I don’t believe Apple would be dumb enough to consider such a move.

I disagree. An iPad is a completely different thing to a laptop. A larger iPad would still have much more portability and flexibility than a MacBook Air.

• Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Rumors about rumors are notoriously unreliable according to recent rumors (unnamed source).

But regardless, a larger iPad would be a very niche product for your average consumer. I have a hard time seeing a popular consumer demand for anything larger than the Air, hence the 'Pro' naming. But even in a professional environment would a large format iPad be anything but very specialized?

There are two sizes of iMac but they're still called the same thing. There's no reason why a larger iPad Air needs a new name. The Pro monicker is simply a rumour name.

I believe that a larger iPad would sell far more than a MacBook Air.

• Reply 47 of 53
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

DigiTimes reports..... blah blah blah.... *yawn*  wha...?

Click bait....................................

• Reply 48 of 53
    castcorecastcore Posts: 141member
    Digitimes of Taiwan is a 3 person operation. They are the us weekly of tech in Taiwan. People should understand press can write or print anything with no blow back. This is complete bull sh&t
  • Reply 49 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    castcore wrote: »
    Digitimes of Taiwan is a 3 person operation.

If that's true then why do they get so much support by AI and other sites?
  • Reply 50 of 53
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If that's true then why do they get so much support by AI and other sites?

1. Click-bait.

2. Stopped watch, twice a day.

3. Keeping Android users informed.

Cheers

• Reply 51 of 53
    Was it not DigiTimes AND Ming who introduced us to the iPad Pro 12.9"? How interesting it is being reported there is a delay and/or cancellation of the device.

This is how Ming keeps that stellar reputation for being right: simply forget all the times he was ever wrong. ;)
  • Reply 52 of 53
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I agree.  If Digitimes says that sapphire production is low, then it must be high.  If Digitimes says no iPad Pro, then there will be one.

So I fully expect to see an iPad Pro with a Sapphire screen.  It is 100% confirmed as far as I care.

• Reply 53 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

You really should start reading the publication. Just because a phrase or two gets blown out of proportion to what is actually said in an article published by DigiTimes doesn't mean the publication is crap. As far as I can tell DigiTimes has never said with certainty that Apples tablet is on hold. You should be more upset with Appleinsider for attributing something never said to DigiTimes.