HDTV sales tumble 10% as rumors of full-fledged Apple television set have all but vanished

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ireland wrote: »
    Exactly. Apple is forcing cellphone companies out of business and taking their profits. With the right content deal Apple could sell a compelling TV at a subsidised price with a two-year contract. If they built it people would come. But the content deal is key and Apple knows it. Steve Jobs basically said so himself at the D conference: There has been talk several times of Apple trying to get an all-you-eat TV package, but the cable companies who own the rights are clearly afraid to cut Apple that deal because they know Apple would own the market.

Who's going to subsidize a TV? The cable companies that you're trying to get rid of?
  • Reply 82 of 95
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Who's going to subsidize a TV? The cable companies that you're trying to get rid of?

Nobody. But if Apple could cut a deal with the content owners to get access to all the TV shows people watch and package them up in a monthly plan (as was rumoured several times), then Apple themselves could charge $499 for the smallest storage version of this TV plus a monthly fee and account for the total cost of said product over a 2-year contract. Thus selling you a premium product at an acceptable price with the shows you watch in on the deal. People would go for that deal and that experience. And so as to not have too small a market share Apple would keep selling the hockey puck with an optional TV package. Perhaps the TV would have certain perks, aside from the product's appeal itself.

But again, the content owners aren't going to loosen their grip very easily. If somehow they did though, I could see a day sometime down the line with TVs would be the new consoles. Console wars? Try the smart TV war. One where there are just two to four players worldwide. Those ecosystems would fight it out and Google would have their Android TV Jumba Juice OS or whatever.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Aren't the cable companies and internet providers one and the same? They are where I live. (Rogers) You could eliminate cable tv, but you'll still be paying for internet. And when their cable revenues drop, internet prices will go up.
  • Reply 84 of 95
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    stourque wrote: »
    Aren't the cable companies and internet providers one and the same? They are where I live. (Rogers) You could eliminate cable tv, but you'll still be paying for internet. And when their cable revenues drop, internet prices will go up.

Yes, and exactly. They're not going to sit idly by while someone eats their lunch.
  • Reply 85 of 95
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    TV's are just a screen - a monitor. Different shapes and sizes, but the real experience is what is input to it. I would like my AppleTV to REPLACE my set top box, not coexist as another input to my TV. If I still want cable, have it as an app on my AppleTV. Click on it and the conventional TV guide shows up. Or I could have an app for each network I want, or each TV show. All customizable and no more costly, because I'm paying for the content through my cable bill. If I want Netflix, or anything like that, I pay that on my own. I don't see the cable companies balking at this idea because they would still get their cable payments.
  • Reply 86 of 95

Hello Every One

I am Mrs Cailtin Poore from the United States Of America. I want to share a testimony  and i will always give thanks to Dr Abu who brought back my divorced husband that has left me for 4years within 72hours, i promised to always tell people about this great miracle that happen in my life,we where 2 year ago,since we got married,i have not been able to give him a child,although he try to bear with me but it came to a time his parents where so hot him,that he should get another wife because his mother needed a grand son from him,so because of all this,he left me. I have been looking for how to get pregnant and how to get my divorce husband back to my life because i love him with the whole of my heart,i could not replace him with any other man,one day i was watching my television when i saw a lady giving thanks to Dr Abu and telling the world how he helped her, i was so shocked i could not believe it because i never taught that there are powers that can bring back lost marriage,then i decided to contact him too because i do really need my divorce husband back,when i contacted him i told him everything and he told me not to worry that my divorce husband will surely come back to me, within 72hours, at first i could not believe because i was thinking how could somebody that has gone for 4years come back within 72 hours, then i decided to watch and see,after all the necessary thing have been done,to my greatest surprise within the next 72hours i got a call from an unknown number ,so i pick the call the next thing i could hear was my husbands voice he was pleading and begging me on the phone that i should forgive him, that i should forget all that have happened that he did not know what came over him,he promised not to leave for any reason,that he was really sorry for what he did,i was so surprised because i never believed that this could happen,so that was how i accepted his apology and the next morning he came back home to meet me and still pleading for me to forgive him i told him that everything is okay that i have forgiven him,that was how we started again and he has Change and 6months later i became pregnant,we where bless with a baby boy and live happily. I promised to say this testimony in radio station,commenting this testimony that am now a mother, i promise to say this in radio station and i will sir, thank you very much.World please am begging you people to try and help me thank this man for me,or if you need his help here is his email address [email protected] or you can also reach him through his mobile number,+234 903 800 7421*

Mrs Cailtin Poore

• Reply 87 of 95
    tyancytyancy Posts: 85member
    There is and never has been any credible reason for Apple to built its own HDTV. The competition in TVs has always been fierce. For Apple to get into this makes no sense whatsoever. Set top boxes such as the Apple TV make much better sense, plus Apple's standards of fit and finish are so high that a full fledged TV would naturally cost more than the competition's cheap plastic boxes, which it would result in limited sales.

The rumor mills over the past decade have become a total nuisance. Now days these people are checking factory parts orders and pouring over patent applications and trying to crank out as many rumors as possible.

Back in the old days, you never knew what the tech companies would come up with next. It was very exciting. These days people are so spoiled that they open every present a month before Christmas and then complain that the toys they will be getting will not be as good as next year's will be. People must have more going on in their lives than to be sweating over this nonsense. Time to get a life.
  • Reply 88 of 95
    tyancy wrote: »
    There is and never has been any credible reason for Apple to built its own HDTV.

The reason is the experience. If Apple could provide people all the TV shows they want in an attractive monthly all-you-can-eat package along with subsidising the TV themselves people would buy it. Everyone? No. But a lot of people. Hanging a TV upon the wall with nothing attached to it and it doing everything you want it to without adding a box or an additional remote would go along way. The only reason you can't see that is because you're a geek. Ask your mother would she prefer that and she what she said. That experience would be superior in every way. If the content owners weren't holding all the cards Apple would have made that move already. The only way to provide an amazing Apple experience it to control everything. And the only way to control and simplify the whole thing it to have the TV control everything. It's that simple. End of.
  • Reply 89 of 95
    tyancy wrote: »
    The competition in TVs has always been fierce. For Apple to get into this makes no sense whatsoever. Apple's standards of fit and finish are so high that a full fledged TV would naturally cost more than the competition's cheap plastic boxes, which it would result in limited sales.

1. Competition is fierce: no different to phones phones.
    2. Apple builds better stuff so their TV would be too expensive: not if they had to rights to all the TV shows people wanted so they could cost the hardware into a 2-year contract plan with a minimal entry price (perhaps $499). Or optionally less with a higher monthly fee? Or for full price with no contract. There's a few options right there. And what's more, I keep repeating this I know, they would continue to ship the hockey puck for those not ready to jump ship to the full Apple experience. And if the TV really took off then and people kept choosing it over the Apple TV box they would faze-out the dangly box and push this process forward. And cut to 3 years down the line from that point and the console war would be replaces by the smart TV war, where product quality, content, apps, ecosystem and integration would be highly prized by the consumer. And who's good at those?

That's the vision, but it's fully dependent on Apple getting rights to all those TV Shows (as was rumoured they wanted to several times), but till now they haven't been able to convince the content owners to play ball.
  • Reply 90 of 95
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ireland wrote: »
    The reason is the experience. If Apple could provide people all the TV shows they want in an attractive monthly all-you-can-eat package along with subsidising the TV themselves people would buy it. Everyone? No. But a lot of people. Hanging a TV upon the wall with nothing attached to it and it doing everything you want it to without adding a box or an additional remote would go along way. The only reason you can't see that is because you're a geek. Ask your mother would she prefer that and she what she said. That experience would be superior in every way. If the content owners weren't holding all the cards Apple would have made that move already. The only way to provide an amazing Apple experience it to control everything. And the only way to control and simplify the whole thing it to have the TV control everything. It's that simple. End of.

1. APPLE will not subsidize its own products
    2. Studios own content, not cable companies. Although some cable companies own studios.
    3. What about DVD and bluray players and game systems? They need to plug Ii. Somewhere.
    4. What sizes of screens?
    5. Bandwidth and ISPs.
  • Reply 91 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

HDMI between the box and the TV.

Ethernet or WiFi between the network and the box.

Why would it be anything else?

So including the power adapter, that's three (3) cables already, no?

• Reply 92 of 95
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

So including the power adapter, that's three (3) cables already, no?

Doesn’t HDMI 2 carry power? The Apple TV would only pull 10w. 

• Reply 93 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Doesn’t HDMI 2 carry power? The Apple TV would only pull 10w. 

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the Apple TV, if hard wired to the LAN will have three cables in total. The Power Adapter cable, the HDMI Cable, and of course the LAN Cable.

• Reply 94 of 95

I am surprised ATV does not support Bluetooth earphones, for when you want it quiet...