How Android lost global open market share to Apple's integrated iOS

Comments

• Reply 161 of 266
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    So? Why should they not be able to design what works best for them?
    Read the rest of the post.
  • Reply 162 of 266
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    ...and open the whole can of worms i.e. the danger of not using Google Play, which we are constantly told makes Android less of a security risk.

Could be that they're safer to get from Amazon. I haven't seen one reported incident in their app store.
  • Reply 163 of 266
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Read the rest of the post.

Yes. I fail to see how that applies in regard to anything relevant here. Do USB ports biodegrade and I’ve just been missing that all these years? Is that why people lose them? They leave them in the sun and the cables just decompose and poof, gone?

• Reply 164 of 266
    No, but their continuing use across many models and generations of phone makes them reusable. Just like how I'm sure many users of Apple products over the past 10 years will appreciate having a few plugs knocking around now. Reuse is even better than recycle, and plugs often aren't even recyclable. So it's consumer friendly [I]and[/I] environmentally friendly.

Do you know of [I]any[/I] consumers who are demanding more variation in power plug design for cellphones?
  • Reply 165 of 266

Hello Every One

I am Mrs Cailtin Poore from the United States Of America. I want to share a testimony  and i will always give thanks to Dr Abu who brought back my divorced husband that has left me for 4years within 72hours, i promised to always tell people about this great miracle that happen in my life,we where 2 year ago,since we got married,i have not been able to give him a child,although he try to bear with me but it came to a time his parents where so hot him,that he should get another wife because his mother needed a grand son from him,so because of all this,he left me. I have been looking for how to get pregnant and how to get my divorce husband back to my life because i love him with the whole of my heart,i could not replace him with any other man,one day i was watching my television when i saw a lady giving thanks to Dr Abu and telling the world how he helped her, i was so shocked i could not believe it because i never taught that there are powers that can bring back lost marriage,then i decided to contact him too because i do really need my divorce husband back,when i contacted him i told him everything and he told me not to worry that my divorce husband will surely come back to me, within 72hours, at first i could not believe because i was thinking how could somebody that has gone for 4years come back within 72 hours, then i decided to watch and see,after all the necessary thing have been done,to my greatest surprise within the next 72hours i got a call from an unknown number ,so i pick the call the next thing i could hear was my husbands voice he was pleading and begging me on the phone that i should forgive him, that i should forget all that have happened that he did not know what came over him,he promised not to leave for any reason,that he was really sorry for what he did,i was so surprised because i never believed that this could happen,so that was how i accepted his apology and the next morning he came back home to meet me and still pleading for me to forgive him i told him that everything is okay that i have forgiven him,that was how we started again and he has Change and 6months later i became pregnant,we where bless with a baby boy and live happily. I promised to say this testimony in radio station,commenting this testimony that am now a mother, i promise to say this in radio station and i will sir, thank you very much.World please am begging you people to try and help me thank this man for me,or if you need his help here is his email address [email protected] or you can also reach him through his mobile number,+234 903 800 7421*

Mrs Cailtin Poore

• Reply 166 of 266
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Could be that they're safer to get from Amazon. I haven't seen one reported incident in their app store.

Why would you be opting out of Google services on an Amazon device?

They don't come with them.

Now back to the subject at hand removing Google from your run of the mill everyday Android phone.

The security risk, as we are constantly told only happens when not using Google.

• Reply 167 of 266
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

This whole article seems rather silly saying how great Apple, iPhones and iOS is considering Google is said to be the future of the internet and everything else.  Compared to Google and Android, Apple is seen as a failing company.  Apple is definitely considered a doomed company with relatively low shareholder value based on continued loss of iPhone market share to Android.  Almost no one sees Apple as being able to sustain its profits and many claim Apple will be simply put out of business within a few years as all their products are commoditized.  People seem to be overlooking the fact that Google is worth $1200 a share while Apple is struggling to hold $530 a share.  No intelligent investor has any faith in Apple being able to deliver new products and most believe that a high-end iPhone isn't any better than the common Android smartphone.  No matter how many iPhones Apple sells, it's never nearly enough to keep pace with Android smartphone sales and that is seen as a major failing.

I honestly don't see how anyone can say that Apple is a better company than Google is when Google has the strongest backing on Wall Street.  Market share remains the most important measure of how well a company is doing and Apple looks pretty sick based on shrinking market share.  Doesn't it make sense that investors put their money on a company that looks like a winner?  Apple certainly does not look like a winner from an investor's point of view.  I have no doubt that Apple is making the most revenue and profits at the moment but nearly everyone claims those days are practically over.  I'm a long-term Apple shareholder but even from my point of view Apple seems like a struggling company with nearly no one backing the company.  It's never been said that Google is a dying company.  Apple holds that title.  Apple definitely doesn't get any respect as a company without Steve Jobs around.  Tim Cook doesn't seem fit to be Apple's CEO.  Apple seems to be throwing away so many opportunities to give itself a solid future despite sitting on a huge mountain of cash.  I've just about given up on Apple as the company looks like it's being run into the ground.

Google has a lot of 'buns in the oven' … some of these buns are canceled and really - what has Google ever done, besides search?  Google is a search/ad company - that is (mostly) it - by most measures.  Android is simply their mobile OS to help ensure Google is used for search, but they could sell several billion phones, yet how useful is this to Google when they are not used a smart phones - and/or when they have no data plan?  Android is mostly for people who want a cheap feature phone - or for people who have an obsessive need to customize their phone … or maybe they just don't want Apple … I am glad that Android is around, though sometimes, dealing with Fandroids is a bit tiring … 

So I think this article does bring home some great points - market share can matter, but what, really is the market?  Apple is in (arguably) the high end/premium smart phone market - that is all they ever wanted and that is what they own.  Apple - it would seem builds things that people value - I know I do.

I could spend less on Android or other phones - and I have looked, but know I would feel like the money spent was wasted.   With Apple I feel like the money spent is an investment…  I guess this is the thing Apple users understand and Wall Street never gets, pity, but then the 'Street' is often wrong… like in 1988, 1991, 2001, 2007/2008 …. 

• Reply 168 of 266
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    [quote name="Tallest Skil" url="/t/164458/how-android-lost-global-open-market-share-to-apples-integrated-ios/120#post_2488194"]Except they’ve already complied with EU regulations.[/QUOTE]

True.

[QUOTE]iDevices ship with a MicroUSB adapter.[/QUOTE]

Not true.

[QUOTE]Apple will never put a USB port on their products. It isn’t happening.[/QUOTE]

I don't see that happening, not only because Apple wants to be in charge of their design, also because it's not a requirement in the EU to ship your CE device with a microUSB plug; it just need to be available.
  • Reply 169 of 266
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Why would you be opting out of Google services on an Amazon device?

They don't come with them.

Now back to the subject at hand removing Google from your run of the mill everyday Android phone.

The security risk, as we are constantly told only happens when not using Google.

One doesn't need a Amazon device to get apps from Amazon's app store. I assumed that fact was well known.
  • Reply 170 of 266
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

One doesn't need a Amazon device to get apps from Amazon's app store. I assumed that fact was well known.

Amazon's App Store also has a subjective curation process similar to what Apple does. If you prefer a store where the apps are inspected by humans instead of purely by computer algorithms as Google Play's apps are, Amazon's store would be an option for you.

• Reply 171 of 266
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Mueller of FOSSpatents has an usual article up this morning. Included are the claims Apple has already lost the platform battle to Google, more developers are now concentrating on creating Android apps than iOS ones and then strays into details about an Apple guy suing him. I take that as his observation that negative Apple comments can attract serious attacks from Apple commits? Not entirely sure what his point is. Quite a different article from him.
    http://www.fosspatents.com/2014/03/book-recommendation-haunted-empire.html
  • Reply 172 of 266
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    ...more developers are now concentrating on creating Android apps than iOS ones...

I have seen no evidence of this happening.
  • Reply 173 of 266

Depends what you mean by "concentrating".  Since Android apps are harder to develop for variant form factors and therefore take up more developer-hours, that could be said to require more "concentration" ;)

• Reply 174 of 266
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I have seen no evidence of this happening.
    I've no idea myself. Florian is using this report to support the comment. http://www.visionmobile.com/product/developer-economics-q3-2013-state-of-the-developer-nation/
  • Reply 175 of 266
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I've no idea myself. Florian is using this report to support the comment. http://www.visionmobile.com/product/developer-economics-q3-2013-state-of-the-developer-nation/

A couple of the "facts" stand out to me.
    52% of the developer population uses HTML5 technologies to develop mobile apps

What do they mean by use? Are they including UIWebView being included in an iOS app?
    iOS monthly revenue at $5,200 -more than Android, but gap closing

Closing the gap the way Windows Phone is closing the gap between iOS and Android by increasing from 1% to 1.1% marketshare YoY?
  • Reply 176 of 266
    zorchzorch Posts: 2member
    What a fanboy! You really need to break that Apple mind-meld.
  • Reply 177 of 266
    zorchzorch Posts: 2member

What a Fanboy!  You really need to break that Apple mind meld!

• Reply 178 of 266
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Zorch

What a fanboy! You really need to break that Apple mind-meld.

See my signature.

• Reply 179 of 266
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

I was wondering when that report would surface at AI followed by the predictable defensive posts.  Meuller's also not the first I've seen to cite it while claiming that Android has "won the battle" vs. iOS.  To those curious of the reality of the situation (3? 4 of you?) the report actually gives a pretty non-biased report.  It shows areas in which Android is doing better as well as areas that iOS is doing better.  It shows no clear "winner" and makes no attempt to.  Both platforms are extremely successful and the report reflects this.  

• Reply 180 of 266
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

These fiction pieces are even better than the science fiction books you can buy in the iBook Store

You can't imagine how much I'd love to watch you stumble your way through an argument to back up this statement.