How Android lost global open market share to Apple's integrated iOS

Comments

• Reply 181 of 266
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I was wondering when that report would surface at AI followed by the predictable defensive posts.  Meuller's also not the first I've seen to cite it while claiming that Android has "won the battle" vs. iOS.  To those curious of the reality of the situation (3? 4 of you?) the report actually gives a pretty non-biased report.  It shows areas in which Android is doing better as well as areas that iOS is doing better.  It shows no clear "winner" and makes no attempt to.  Both platforms are extremely successful and the report reflects this.  

Like the extremely popular "wallpapers" which populate Play???

They seem like good "Apps".

• Reply 182 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Mueller of FOSSpatents has an usual article up this morning. Included are the claims Apple has already lost the platform battle to Google, more developers are now concentrating on creating Android apps than iOS ones and then strays into details about an Apple guy suing him. I take that as his observation that negative Apple comments can attract serious attacks from Apple commits? Not entirely sure what his point is. Quite a different article from him.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2014/03/book-recommendation-haunted-empire.html

A book review, where the author mentions Mueller's work, clearly stated.

Here's another one.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/10/haunted-empire-book-review

The publishers are obviously doing the rounds, prior to the books release.

• Reply 183 of 266
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    hill60 wrote: »
    A book review, where the author mentions Mueller's work, clearly stated.

Here's another one.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/10/haunted-empire-book-review

The publishers are obviously doing the rounds, prior to the books release.

Muellers claims come from that book? I know the article started out to promote the book but then strayed off into other related and unrelated comments as far as I can see.
  • Reply 184 of 266
    Like the extremely popular "wallpapers" which populate Play???

They seem like good "Apps".

I don't see a whole lotta wallpapers populating the "most popular" categories in the Australian Play Store. As it's the second time you've mentioned them you must be looking at some other source showing different results where wallpapers are the biggest attraction?
    http://www.appannie.com/apps/google-play/top/australia/overall/
  • Reply 185 of 266
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I don't see a whole lotta wallpapers populating the "most popular" categories in the Australian Play Store. As it's the second time you've mentioned them you must be looking at some other source showing different results where wallpapers are the biggest attraction?

1) Does having any wallpaper apps top any of the charts bode well for the platform?

2) On their main page they show a wallpaper app as what I assume is their 19th most frequently downloaded app.
  • Reply 186 of 266
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Does having any wallpaper apps top any of the charts bode well for the platform?

2) On their main page they show a wallpaper app as what I assume is their 19th most frequently downloaded app.

That link shows me the Spanish Play Store and the only wallpaper app is one made by Whatsapp to change the background of that application.

• Reply 187 of 266
    gwydion wrote: »

That link shows me the Spanish Play Store and the only wallpaper app is one made by Whatsapp to change the background of that application.

I see the following app at what looking 19th place, as well as others that I'm surprised are not part of Android, like a flashlight.

• Reply 188 of 266
    solipsismx wrote: »

Why not? If Apple's Appstore offers wallpapers do you think they might see some success?

Compare the types of apps most often downloaded on iOS to those from Google Play. The AppAnnie link I gave you makes it very easy to do.

If you have an iPhone or Google Android smartphone you're far more likely to download a game than anything else, same for both stores. On smartphones apps are most often for fun. On a tablet the most frequently downloaded type will still be games but there is a better representation of productively app compared to smartphones, particularly on Google Play. Does that bode well for the two stores? I don't see a particular problem myself.
  • Reply 189 of 266
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see the following app at what looking 19th place, as well as others that I'm surprised are not part of Android, like a flashlight.

Ah, that application also shows on the top free iOS apps, position 98:

http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/top/united-states/?device=iphone

Zedge has been a wallpaper and ringtone curator since 2009.

• Reply 190 of 266

Zedge is as much for sounds (notification, ringtones, messaging) and themes as wallpapers. Kind of a catch all if you might be looking into changing the device defaults. It's on iOS too, tho more limited in what it offers.
  • Reply 191 of 266
    Why not? If Apple's Appstore offers wallpapers do you think they might see some success?

Compare the types of apps most often downloaded on iOS to those from Google Play. If you have an iPhone or Google Android smartphone you're more likely to download a game than anything else, same for both stores. On smartphones apps are most often for fun. On a tablet the most frequently downloaded type will still be games but there is a better representation of productively apps.compared to smartphones. Does that bode well for the two stores?

Sure, comparable apps by established developers that are popular in a culture are a positive, but that doesn't mean other offering can't be a negative. For example, it's great that Android has Dropbox, Angry Birds, etc. but that it's not great that major developers seem to all mention that it takes more time and money to support Android over iOS. There simply doesn't seem to be the economics of scale working for the 1.5 million daily activations that were reported last June.
  • Reply 192 of 266
    Zedge is as much for sounds (notification, ringtones, messaging) as wallpapers. Kind of a catch all if you might be looking into changing the device defaults.

Why is it at space 19 on Google's site? Is Google not placing them in order of popularity?
  • Reply 193 of 266
    Why is it at space 19 on Google's site? Is Google not placing them in order of popularity?

As far as I know they do. It's much more useful on an Android device since one of the fun things users like to do is customize them. Zedge is more limited by iOS.

In any event it wouldn't help Hill's assertion that wallpapers are the most popular download category for most Google Android handsets. It seemed like you were coming to his defense so perhaps you never saw his original claim.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/164458/how-android-lost-global-open-market-share-to-apples-integrated-ios#post_2487333
  • Reply 194 of 266

Sub $300 phones in particularly in China, that being the majority of Android marketshare.
  • Reply 195 of 266
    Sub $300 phones in particularly in China, that being the majority of Android marketshare.

Still I don't see wall[papers as being the most downloaded category looking at app store stats. Are you looking at something else?
  • Reply 196 of 266
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Still I don't see wall[papers as being the most downloaded category looking at app store stats. Are you looking at something else?
    Even in the personalization section on play store you have to go down to 12th place to find the first "wallpaper" entry. Zedge is at 1 but it is a lot more than just wallpapers.
  • Reply 197 of 266

I will explain it again as I did in another three and in a simple manner so even the droid dorks can understand.

Android is just a bug eating son of a google whore-  head crawling with lice- put into the wild to do a job for a nickel, that any one else should and would get a quarter for.

Perfect for those who use and champion it...

• Reply 198 of 266
    I will explain it again as I did in another three and in a simple manner so even the droid dorks can understand.
    Android is just a bug eating son of a google whore-  head crawling with lice- put into the wild to do a job for a nickel, that any one else should and would get a quarter for.
     Perfect for those who use and champion it...

Hard to disagree with such a reasoned post. Well done sir.
  • Reply 199 of 266
    So? Why should they not be able to design what works best for them?

The EU will apparently be stepping in to mandate universal mobile chargers, and settling on mini-USB. Doesn't mean that Apple wil have to change their charging port of course but likely they'll have to include a universal charger in the box if I'm reading it correctly.
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/03/eu-votes-in-favor-of-universal-mobile-charger/
  • Reply 200 of 266
    The EU will apparently be stepping in to mandate universal mobile chargers, and settling on mini-USB. Doesn't mean that Apple wil have to change their charging port of course but likely they'll have to include a universal charger in the box if I'm reading it correctly.
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/03/eu-votes-in-favor-of-universal-mobile-charger/

Apple's PSU has been universal since the start. It's everyone else that used a built-in cable on the power brick that limited the devices that could be connected to that PSU. Of course, the EU isn't allowing FW400 as an option on the PSU, but it was still open to any other device to use that PSU and it's been about 8(?) years since Apple moved to USB-A which is part of the ruling.