Google rumored to open first retail store near Apple's SoHo spot in Manhattan

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Yeah, ok, funny. Still, he does back up his statements by providing a link and in all fairness I learn a lot from him. Maybe I shouldn't have posted that earlier lame line. Hope he won't be cross with me now...
  • Reply 42 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Yeah, ok, funny. Still, he does back up his statements by providing a link and in all fairness I learn a lot from him. Maybe I shouldn't have posted that earlier lame line. Hope he won't be cross with me now...

There was nothing wrong with your 'lame' line. I just decided to have some fun with it. Nothing wrong with a little comedic relief, is there? I enjoy this forum because the disagreements, discussions, dialogue and debates, are mostly diplomatic (say that fast 5 times), and I too have learned much from the regulars here. Btw for a chance to work in Soho and potentially see super models, I'll man the genius bar lol.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    ^ lol yeah this place can indeed be the funny corner of the Internet. Have a great weekend!
  • Reply 44 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    philboogie wrote: »

Nah, we're good. :D

I'm had great discussions with you, Soli, Marvin, MStone and most of the other regulars. You've no idea how much I've learned from you guys.
  • Reply 45 of 55

I count five items for sale, unless you want to include the phone cases and the chargers.  I guess they could fill a shopping mall kiosk on one side.  On the other side they could sell those little remote controlled helicopters.

• Reply 46 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I count five items for sale, unless you want to include the phone cases and the chargers.  I guess they could fill a shopping mall kiosk on one side.  On the other side they could sell those little remote controlled helicopters.

How many items are for sale in a Apple store? I couldn't even find iPods on display in the Soho store the last time I went. It was tables and tables of iPads and iPhones.
  • Reply 47 of 55

Dude,  Apple's laptop line alone has more products than everything Google makes.

• Reply 48 of 55
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Nah, we're good. :D

I'm had great discussions with you, Soli, Marvin, MStone and most of the other regulars. You've no idea how much I've learned from you guys.

Indeed, many informative posts on this site. More often than not I simply skip the article and go straight for the comments...
  • Reply 49 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's called 'laying the foundation' people. So what if they have 13 products only to sell? Soon they'll be selling contact lens, Google Glass, robots, self-drive cars... those things take up space!

They won't be selling that contact lens, diabetics can't wear it. They foolishly failed to ask the audience they designed it for!
  • Reply 50 of 55
    They won't be selling that contact lens, diabetics can't wear it. They foolishly failed to ask the audience they designed it for!

Not entirely accurate according to health professionals.

I have diabetes. Can I still be a successful contact lens patient?
    Diabetes has an effect on the eye, as it does the rest of the body. Most diabetics are familiar with the risk of diabetic retinopathy, complications inside the eye from the disease. It also affects the front surface of the eye, or the cornea. Patients with diabetes may notice dryness more often and more severely than non-diabetic patients.
    In some patients, this dryness is not severe enough to prohibit contact lens wear. But dryness is only the initial concern. Diabetics tend to heal more slowly than individuals without diabetes. This is true for the eye as well as other tissues of the body. Contact lenses increase the risk of corneal ulcers and infections, both of which are of more concern to a diabetic patient due to the lengthened healing time.
    This does not mean that individuals with diabetes canít wear contact lenses. Make sure to let your eye care provider know if you have diabetes as it may impact the choice of lenses or solutions. It is also important to remember to follow the wearing and care schedule your practitioner gives you in order to minimize the increased risk contact lenses have for patients with diabetes.

http://www.uihealthcare.org/2column.aspx?id=225651
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Not entirely accurate according to health professionals.

I have diabetes. Can I still be a successful contact lens patient?
    Diabetes has an effect on the eye, as it does the rest of the body. Most diabetics are familiar with the risk of diabetic retinopathy, complications inside the eye from the disease. It also affects the front surface of the eye, or the cornea. Patients with diabetes may notice dryness more often and more severely than non-diabetic patients.
    In some patients, this dryness is not severe enough to prohibit contact lens wear. But dryness is only the initial concern. Diabetics tend to heal more slowly than individuals without diabetes. This is true for the eye as well as other tissues of the body. Contact lenses increase the risk of corneal ulcers and infections, both of which are of more concern to a diabetic patient due to the lengthened healing time.
    This does not mean that individuals with diabetes canít wear contact lenses. Make sure to let your eye care provider know if you have diabetes as it may impact the choice of lenses or solutions. It is also important to remember to follow the wearing and care schedule your practitioner gives you in order to minimize the increased risk contact lenses have for patients with diabetes.

http://www.uihealthcare.org/2column.aspx?id=225651

So, what percentage of diabetics simply cannot wear contacts? Is it a majority?
  • Reply 52 of 55
    So, what percentage of diabetics simply cannot wear contacts? Is it a majority?

I've no idea. Did you find anything?
  • Reply 53 of 55
    I've no idea. Did you find anything?

I've found nothing definitive. No studies.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

I really want Apple to come up with its own Search Engine in a big big way. This is when Google gets Hiroshima, Nagasaki experience!

Agreed.  How long is Apple going to stand there and let Google punch them in the face without responding?

Google is in full-on assault mode against Apple's core business (hardware sales).  When is Apple going to counterattack against Google's search business?

Or at the very least, start attacking Google's creepy personal data collection business model in its advertising.

• Reply 55 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

It's ironic that your iOS screenshot includes the live wallpaper that Apple copied from Google's “Phase Beam” live wallpaper.

Which itself emits a strong whiff of Apple's Arabesque screensaver from OS X Leopard.  ;)