Apple set to discontinue legacy, non-Retina iPad 2

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    Don't think anyone's posted this yet, but Wal-Mart has rolled back the iPad 2 to $299.00 which makes me think they're just clearing it out.  Similarly, Best Buy is offering the same price (well, $299.99) but listed as a sale.. that page also shows the refurb costing $319.99.

A new iPad round the corner? Probably not, but I can hope, fool that I am.
  • Reply 82 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Probably not

Why not? We’re two months from standard launch.

• Reply 83 of 89
    Why not? We’re two months from standard launch.

Don't tempt me!

If they don't being out a bigger iPad this year, I'll be really annoyed, because it means they probably will next year. My interest is for reading music—you can of course with the iPad, but a bigger one will make it a bit easier to read. Then, writing music at the piano becomes attractive.

But even the same size will be amazing—I know that going from my iPad 2 to an Air would be huge, so an Air 2 will be just fine.
  • Reply 84 of 89
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

I hope Apple will move a different large screen model to the $399 price point. A lot of school districts bought the iPad 2 for the combination of big screen for students' ebooks and education apps and cheap price for district budget. My kids' district is already considering switching to Nexus tablets for its next round of purchases, and I think they will for sure if Apple's alternative goes up $100 per kid. 

• Reply 85 of 89
    arlor wrote: »
    I hope Apple will move a different large screen model to the $399 price point. A lot of school districts bought the iPad 2 for the combination of big screen for students' ebooks and education apps and cheap price for district budget. My kids' district is already considering switching to Nexus tablets for its next round of purchases, and I think they will for sure if Apple's alternative goes up $100 per kid. 

Poor goats.
  • Reply 86 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Sometimes a customer who has great utility out of a well-made product gets it in their head that it's the same as the commodity products and believes they can save money and still have that same experience. It's not until they experience what a commodity product really is that they realize they didn't save anything.

It's like that old Texaco commercial from the 1950s where the station attendant comes out onto the stage holding a clogged and dripping oil filter and says, "You can pay me now or pay me later." The inference everyone got was that going cheap doesn't save money.

• Reply 87 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It's like that old Texaco commercial from the 1950s where the station attendant comes out onto the stage holding a clogged and dripping oil filter and says, "You can pay me now or pay me later." The inference everyone got was that going cheap doesn't save money.

I'm with you on quality vs. quantity, but the taxpayers in my kids' district have been protesting these computer initiatives already (one guy got on the school board last fall with this as the signal issue). I'm just hoping that Apple will be able to match the 2's pricing with a different full-size model. 

• Reply 88 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

I'm just hoping that Apple will be able to match the 2's pricing with a different full-size model. 

And my wish came true already. Yay!