Apple releases cheaper 8GB iPhone 5c on UK carrier O2 [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

But this is outrageous! The 5c is target at newcomers. Be honest and read this:

http://www.androidcentral.com/eight-android-phones-buy-instead-8gb-iphone-5c?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=dlvrit

Who, in their right mind, without a Mac or an iPad, would come to iOS via this "cheap" 5c instead of one of those 8 devices? Do you even realize that it doesn't matter if the 5c is 500 € or 1000€, because only few souls will buy it as long as it costs more than those 8 devices.

They might as well not sell it and keep the brand pow

Calm down this is just testing the water. In September this will be the cheapest option ( the 4 is now the cheapest option), and probably sell at £100 less, at most.

Also this is still a phone designed for a tarrif buy. In the UK the 16G 5C sells for £0 but only if you are willing to stump up £38, £43, or £48 a month. Which is $63, $71 or about $80.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/refreshTariffs/apple/iphone-5c-16gb-blue/

with this phone the price for the monthly contract falls as low as £13. Thats where you pay the full price (although I see very few going for that).

Much more importantly for mid-market people, with an upfront cost of £49.9 they can walk out with an iPhone for £28. About $46.

The equivalent option for the 16G( buried in more tariffs) for the 16G will cost you £129.99 upfront. 

Now thats where a lot of people are at, and a lot of people in Europe and England pay about £28/35€ a month. Thats the mid-market and it opens the iPhone up to that. 

• Reply 22 of 62

the UK is not really a PAYG culture, not for smartphones.

• Reply 23 of 62
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    slicksim wrote: »
    Really? Apple said that sales of the 5c were lower than expected? Or did they say the 5s represented a higher percentage of the mix than expected? If you look at the 5c from a manufacturing cost point of view, was the 5c not always intended to be the discount/sales phone in the line up? With Apple almost unable to believe their luck that so many seem happy to pay so much for an Apple phone !! If I were Apple I would want to take the cream for as long as I could before kicking in the discount strategy . Just some thoughts.

Exactly. Cook said the 5s represents a higher percentage of the overall sales then expected. That could mean the overall sales was higher than expected.

T-mobile has been offering the 5c for no money down so I think it was a good phone to have in the line up.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well the unlocked 16 GB model is $549 unlocked in the US, so I think your sarcasm made be somewhat overenthusiastic.

All UK prices include 21% VAT of course. Even then Europeans are screwed on the exchange rate. More on that later…. 

Its worth pointing out that the PAYG price ( the real price) of the unlocked 5C 16G on O2 is £469.99, but you pay for data as you use it. The highest tariff price is higher (£509.99). Thats because you get more data included ( 5G/m). Thats the way European carriers role. Its not a great deal but it is what it is.

So comparing the highest price on this 8G tariff to the US price is nonsensical. The unlocked price probably going to be £369.99 unlocked ( they say the unlocked phone price is coming soon). Thats because there is a very real drop of £100 on this phone. Which is big. ( And fits with Apple's model of £100 increments with every increase in memory).

There are all kinds of ways to convert back to US prices, remove VAT and then  do a currency conversion. Or just currency convert the drop ( which would be $160). Or do this: If a phone which costs £470 inc. VAT in the UK sells at $549 in the US, what does a phone which sells at £370 cost: answer about $430. Or just assume a $100 drop in the US. The answers are between $400 and $450.

So this is a fairly big drop.

• Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

But this is outrageous! The 5c is target at newcomers. Be honest and read this:

http://www.androidcentral.com/eight-android-phones-buy-instead-8gb-iphone-5c?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=dlvrit

Who, in their right mind, without a Mac or an iPad, would come to iOS via this "cheap" 5c instead of one of those 8 devices? Do you even realize that it doesn't matter if the 5c is 500 € or 1000€, because only few souls will buy it as long as it costs more than those 8 devices.

They might as well not sell it and keep the brand power.

And none of the makers of those products show any profit (even Samsung drive its profits from the higher priced range).

Which can means a few things :

- Apple competitors are idiots that drive themselves out of market because of low prices. Of course the phones being junk, they could no sell at higher prices.

- Apple competitors love losing money on their core products. If the phones are any good, they could sell at higher prices.

- Apple is doing the right thing.

One of those (at least) is the right answer.

The most remarquable thing is that when you go to a phone shop, vendors are much more likely to push Androïds as the spiffs on those are notoriously higher than on the rather stringy Apple ones. So phones with a lower base price are even more reduced in value for the maker when they cost more to manufacture because of smaller batches.  Yeah, right, the good way to show a profit in the end (not) !

• Reply 26 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Except for the price, I can't see this phone as being a big seller because of the lack in storage. It would have been a better idea to just lower the price of the 16GB model to the price they're trying to sell this 8GB model. 

• Reply 27 of 62
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    crysisftw wrote: »
    Even for my needs (some songs, some apps and no videos), 8 GB is still very low. It's like always running on a reserve. I don't see a point of an iPhone (no less) with 8 GB memory unless you really don't want anything on it except for a few apps and some music (in which case, why buy an iPhone anyway)? For me, 8 GB doesn't much sense in 2014.

But that's me, I'm sure there are people out there who want an iPhone but don't want a lot on it. But I still don't understand why you'd pay so much and then not get enough space for anything worthwhile the power and capacity of an iPhone.

Not much choice but use it as a glorified feature phone.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Damn i hate when i'm right, the only thing i want from Apple to get more involved in people lives, and also red color!

iPhone 5c will be the only phone when you go store to buy more than just one so your entire family will use it around the house, hope it will replace home phone (landline)    
  • Reply 29 of 62
    cgs268cgs268 Posts: 55member
    very interesting... perhaps the rumours that they had produced many more than needed were true
  • Reply 30 of 62
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Except for the price, I can't see this phone as being a big seller because of the lack in storage. It would have been a better idea to just lower the price of the 16GB model to the price they're trying to sell this 8GB model. 

They will not kill 16GB model when they release the new iPhone,  you gonna get a cheaper 16GB model, like i said iPhone 5c will sell more than other iPhone models

Well i do hope i'm right!

• Reply 31 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lukefrench View Post

And none of the makers of those products show any profit (even Samsung drive its profits from the higher priced range).

You didn't take the link, did you?  Samsung's two most recent flagships were on that list (S4 and Note 3).

• Reply 32 of 62
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

All UK prices include 21% VAT of course.

Don't give the government any ideas. 20% is already too much :(

• Reply 33 of 62
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    slicksim wrote: »
    Really? Apple said that sales of the 5c were lower than expected?

I believe the exact phrase was that LAUNCH sales were lower than expected.,nothing about how it fared as time continued. They haven't had any big write offs like the first surface so I doubt it's the failure that many claim.

I suspect this is more about getting rid of the 30 pin than anything else.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I believe the exact phrase was that LAUNCH sales were lower than expected.,nothing about how it fared as time continued. They haven't had any big write offs like the first surface so I doubt it's the failure that many claim.

I suspect this is more about getting rid of the 30 pin than anything else.

They curtailed orders in November, however.

• Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petri View Post

Let's be real here - you could fill 8GB in a hour or two just by being a bit trigger happy with the video function.

Let's be real by looking at what I actually do: I've had my 16 GB iPhone 5 for 15 months, and still have 9.7 GB empty on it.  So, to be "real" about it, I could easily have gotten along with an 8 GB 5c and had zero impact on my life, except the savings in money.

• Reply 36 of 62
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Let's be real by looking at what I actually do: I've had my 16 GB iPhone 5 for 15 months, and still have 9.7 GB empty on it.  So, to be "real" about it, I could easily have gotten along with an 8 GB 5c and had zero impact on my life, except the savings in money.

Really? So you are using around 4.3GB given that you had around 14GB usable space to start with. An 8GB model would be down to around 1.7GB. How's that update to iOS 7.1 working out, considering it needs 1.9GB to install. For the mainly non-tech audience that an 8GB phone would be aimed at, they aren't going to be managing their storage space just to apply a minor software upgrade.

• Reply 37 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

they arent going to be managing their storage space just to apply a minor software upgrade.

They also aren’t going to be using their storage space in a way that would make this matter.

• Reply 38 of 62
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Establishing an "entry level" for low demand users. Logical. For internet surfing, email, texting and the occasional voice call a basic setup will do. Just wish they'd offer Gray..

• Reply 39 of 62
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

This is quite a substantial price difference and might just be a trigger needed to jump off the sales. image

The iPhone 5C is Apple's epitome of failure - in other words, the IIvx/IIvi of the iPhone world ;) No price decrease is gonna change that.

• Reply 40 of 62
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cgs268 View Post

very interesting... perhaps the rumours that they had produced many more than needed were true

They just announced the 8GB 5C..... how can they have produced "many more than needed".... already?