What internet browser you are now using

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Netscape 6.2 under both 9.2 and X

I used to use IE under X but due to some "reasons" I decided to use Netscape in both 9.2 and X

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    ewww, Netscape 6.2

At least use Mozilla 0.9.5!

Me:

IE 6 on PC

OmniWeb 4.1sp10 on MacOSX.1
  • Reply 2 of 47
    I'm using OmniWeb 4.1SP10 on OS X and IE 5 on OS 9. Simple as that.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    I use IE whenever it's available. Most people do. It helps, being a real browser and all that.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    I use OmniWeb in OS X and IE in 9.0

I really can not bring my self to use Netscape. As much as I love them, they blew it with Netscape 6.0
  • Reply 5 of 47
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Netscape 6.2 on Windows. I'd use Opera, which rules on Windows despite the trauma-inducing documents-in-window interface, but I'm not paying for a browser on my work machine.

OmniWeb 4.1sp<whatever-the-latest-is> on OS X.

IE infuriates me on both platforms for some reasons.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Netscape 6.0 really blew. But 6.2 is so different. Like night and day.

Page caching is still slower than IE. Hitting the back button it will take one or two seconds to back to the previous page. In IE, it's done instanly. But only one second...I don't care

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 47
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Using IE 5.1 on OS 10.1 and IE 5. whatever on OS 9.

I do like OmniWeb and when it becomes a little more full-featured and complete, I could see myself using it more.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>Netscape 6.0 really blew. But 6.2 is so different. Like night and day.

Page caching is still slower than IE. Hitting the back button it will take one or two seconds to back to the previous page. In IE, it's done instanly. But only one second...I don't care

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

What is so differnt about the 2? Speed?
  • Reply 9 of 47
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    What I said in the last post was the speed difference between IE 5.1 and Netscape 6.2

I don't even want to talk about NS 6.0, it really blew

When comes to IE 5.1 vs NS 6.2

Loading pages:

Under OS X. IE is faster

Under OS 9. NS is faster

"Backing" pages:

IE is faster under both X and 9

App Launching

IE is faster under both X and 9

But NS 6.2 in general is A LOT more stable under either X or 9.2....at least on my machine.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 47
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    NS blew it with 3.0, totally botching up hypertext markup. Then they blew it with 4.0, with more of the same mistakes (but worse), along with a very, very bad browser and interface. Then they blew it with Mozilla, "too many cooks on the pot" syndrome, and trying to be everything to everyone--on every platform. The actual NS 6 was a huge disappointment. Even in 6.2, the interface is just disgusting. And they're 0wned by AOL. Facts are, people aren't using Netscape anymore--and websites get designed for browsers--so by using any form of Netscape you're putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Also, agreed, Opera's MDI is really terrible.

OmniWeb is great as an OS X application, but is not so hot as a browser. Slow and flawed HTML and CSS rendering, with incomplete standards support, and just generally suboptimal performance with complex tables and large amounts of images, as well as HUGE lack of plug-in support, really cripples the browser side. Not only that, but it's shareware. I'm not going to pay for a stinkin' browser. They've been free for years. If Omni released OmniWeb as a free browser, I would think about buying a piece of their real software (like OmniGraffle, a nice app)--but I don't think I will because they are so money-grubbing. Silly OmniGroup.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    OmniWeb 4.1 in OS X 10.1.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Omniweb is free. It does not expire at all. But if you want to pay for it (which I did) then you don't have the rather unobtrusive "unregistered" flash up on your window infrequently.

This is coming from 4.1sp10.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Wow, I'm shocked, no hardcore web users!

I use IE5 for forms and graphics when necessary but otherwise I use Wannabe for SPEED! Yeah Baby!

now, if only Wannabe had built in forms support...
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Mozilla 0.9.x under both, but I resort to IE, when things just *don't* work.

(first AI post...weeee)

Nick
  • Reply 15 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by Arty50:

<strong>Omniweb is free. It does not expire at all. But if you want to pay for it (which I did) then you don't have the rather unobtrusive "unregistered" flash up on your window infrequently.

This is coming from 4.1sp10.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Omniweb is not free. It is shareware. Not only does it flash "unlicensed" on top of your windows on a daily basis, sometimes even hourly if you let your OW windows sit for a while, but it has messages that pop up every few weeks or so, as well as with every new installation or sneaky peek, asking you to register it, or use "unlicensed." I can deal with it, sure, but the principle that they want me to pay for it when I can get so many other browsers as cheaply as air, other browsers with fuller featuresets, or better performance, or more standards support, is the issue.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by Retrograde:

<strong>Wow, I'm shocked, no hardcore web users!

I use IE5 for forms and graphics when necessary but otherwise I use Wannabe for SPEED! Yeah Baby!

now, if only Wannabe had built in forms support...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know if this is 'hardcore' but when I'm somewhere behind a lame proxy I shell into my box at home and use lynx
  • Reply 17 of 47
    iCab. cause everyone is always so down on it

(lack of) css is wretched, but filtering is fantastic

omniweb or ns4.7 for the things iCab can't do
  • Reply 18 of 47
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    Omniweb aaaaaalll the way!
  • Reply 19 of 47
    hhoganhhogan Posts: 117member
    IE

Anything else just isn't good. Microsoft = quality and speed, the other browsers are just overrated pieces of crap. We'd be better off with a monopoly on browsers so sites work the same for everyone. Why bother having 3 browsers on the same computer ? Half won't work properly with Netscape anyways and Omniweb does this funky anti aliasing that hurts my eyes. Lay off the crack guys and make something good and on par with Microsoft already.

Booo alternatives!
  • Reply 20 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>

I don't know if this is 'hardcore' but when I'm somewhere behind a lame proxy I shell into my box at home and use lynx </strong><hr></blockquote>

Rock on Bower!