Apple to shut down higher education Authorized Campus Stores in Canada this June

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    snova wrote: »
    my daughter reports that 4 of her friends replaced their PC laptops that they brought with them to school with MacBooks while away at college.
    Did you want names and phone numbers?

Are they cute? Attracted to older men by chance? 8-)
  • Reply 22 of 69
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Anyone have any insider information into the portion sizes of the entrees in the Apple main campus cafeteria? A 2.3 gram reduction in the average grilled chicken breast weight may, you know, be an undeniable sign of impending doom. You never know!

I found this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/27/apple-cafeteria-caffe-macs_n_983053.html

Apparently they do serve chicken but it is not a featured offering. Worth a read, it mentions Steve.

• Reply 23 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

my daughter reports that 4 of her friends replaced their PC laptops that they brought with them to school with MacBooks while away at college. statistically speaking its "plenty".

Okay. That answers the question. Third party hearsay. 

• Reply 24 of 69
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

my daughter reports that 4 of her friends replaced their PC laptops that they brought with them to school with MacBooks while away at college. statistically speaking its "plenty".

Okay. That answers the question. Third party hearsay. 

do you want sworn testimony?  geez dude.. you don't believe anyone. Its reality, deal with it instead of sticking your head in the sand. Shit happens while away at school and kids don't have the luxury of an IT department to get stuff fixed and they need things ASAP. Not days or weeks later to get things fixed.  When you have an urgent need, the campus store for a new computer is often the solution.

• Reply 25 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

my daughter reports that 4 of her friends replaced their PC laptops that they brought with them to school with MacBooks while away at college.

Are they cute? Attracted to older men by chance? image

only guys that live still live in their mom's basement and wear Google Glass all the time.  /jk

• Reply 26 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Apple is clearly being run with only immediate profits the driving force.

Yep¡ :rolleyes:

• Reply 27 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Apple is clearly being run with only immediate profits the driving force.

Yep¡ :rolleyes:

that should make NCPPR very happy.

• Reply 28 of 69
    All kinds of 'campus' stores -- even campus [I]book[/I]stores -- are slowly disappearing.

Nothing unusual here, just a sign of the times. Moving along.....
  • Reply 29 of 69
    Quote:

do you want sworn testimony?  geez dude.. you don't believe anyone. Its reality, deal with it instead of sticking your head in the sand. Shit happens while away at school and kids don't have the luxury of an IT department to get stuff fixed and they need things ASAP. Not days or weeks later to get things fixed.

Look, I'm just questioning your initial premise that plenty of Windows PCs die and are irrepairable for college freshmen and they decide to buy a Mac instead of getting their presumably modern current PC repaired. The much more likely scenario is they decided they would rather have a Mac. Windows PCs don't just inexplicably die unless they are super cheap or super old. Quit trying to turn the discussion into a hardware/software failures statistic. Choosing Windows or Mac is a personal preference situation.

Either way switching platforms is not a right away process as you describe. You have to replace all your software and somehow get your documents back.

Edit: And don't call them kids. Almost everyone in college is old enough to fight in the military, have sex and disown their parents.

• Reply 30 of 69
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    snova wrote: »
    only guys that live still live in their mom's basement and wear Google Glass all the time.  /jk

Those are your daughters friends?? Ummm. . . Never mind. :D
  • Reply 31 of 69
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Juil View Post

Not sad at all... my local University coop-store hardly ever had inventory, so the Future Shop was (now is) the default (admittedly I don’t qualify for student pricing anymore, but I live close by the campus).

Also, the coffee shops neighbouring the campus have absurd amounts of students toting Macs (like 75 % of them or something). So if the sale numbers of the coop store are low, it’s definitely worthless to give them the customer trafic given that they sell other manufacturers as well (students are obviously getting their Macs somewhere else if that is the case).

Low inventory is not an indicator of low sales -- just low inventory. The biggest selling point of campus stores for the longest time was the student/staff discounts, and even if something was not in inventory, the campus stores I'm familiar with would take the order and have it ready for pick up in a day or two. The campus stores carry other brands simply because not all consumers purchase the same platform (and Future Shop does the exact same thing).  Plus, other manufacturers have their own academic discount programs.

The campus stores' decline is sad for a long-time Mac fan like me because they helped prop Apple up during some dark times. They were often one of the few stores where Macs were on an equal footing with PCs, if those other stores even bothered carrying Macs in the first place. With Apple as this global colossus, it's hard to look at them as the struggling underdog with declining retail support. But, that indeed was the case.

• Reply 32 of 69
    Quote:

Quote:

do you want sworn testimony?  geez dude.. you don't believe anyone. Its reality, deal with it instead of sticking your head in the sand. Shit happens while away at school and kids don't have the luxury of an IT department to get stuff fixed and they need things ASAP. Not days or weeks later to get things fixed.

Look, I'm just questioning your initial premise that plenty of Windows PCs die and are irrepairable for college freshmen and they decide to buy a Mac instead of getting their presumably modern current PC repaired. The much more likely scenario is they decided they would rather have a Mac. Windows PCs don't just inexplicably die unless they are super cheap or super old. Quit trying to turn the discussion into a hardware/software failures statistic. Choosing Windows or Mac is a personal preference situation.

Either way switching platforms is not a right away process as you describe. You have to replace all your software and somehow get your documents back.

look. now you are just spinning off in a tangent.  All I said, there are plenty of kids that go to the campus bookstore to replace the PC laptop they brought with them as freshman. They just happen to be replacing them with Macs.  You called BS on my use of the word "plenty".   I quantified "plenty".  Then you called my quantization as being hearsay.  ..and frankly at this point you pissed me off for effectively calling me a liar. 

Now you are trying to spin things, for some strange purpose that I could care less in trying to understand.   You called me out. I explained my numbers. Just deal with it. 

• Reply 33 of 69

I hate any store that my university runs, this includes the book, computer, clothing and coffee stores.  All of them have either horrible hours or horrible prices. Something as simple as some printer paper is way over priced.  I understand apple sets the price for its products available at the stores, but after getting shafted on so many items I don't want to shop at the school.

I am in canda and live close to the border.  So if you cross the border and get a full price computer from a state with very low sales tax, you will be similar to ontario after edu discount plus the ridiculous amount of tax we have to pay.

• Reply 34 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DennyC2013 View Post

I hate any store that my university runs, this includes the book, computer, clothing and coffee stores.  All of them have either horrible hours or horrible prices. Something as simple as some printer paper is way over priced.  I understand apple sets the price for its products available at the stores, but after getting shafted on so many items I don't want to shop at the school.

I am in canda and live close to the border.  So if you cross the border and get a full price computer from a state with very low sales tax, you will be similar to ontario after edu discount plus the ridiculous amount of tax we have to pay.

I think some of that can be expected for the convenience.   Don't expect to get price deals at your local 7-eleven.  As far as skirting sales tax, that really up to you. Its your community.  You want to use the government services without paying for them, that your call.

• Reply 35 of 69
    Quote:

..and frankly at this point you pissed me off for effectively calling me a liar. 

Perhaps you actually believe what you are writing. In that case I would characterize you  as delusional.

• Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:

Quote:

..and frankly at this point you pissed me off for effectively calling me a liar. 

Perhaps you actually believe what you are writing. In that case I would characterize you  as delusional.

I don't know if you have having a really bad day, but this really is out of character for you. I suggest you quit with the personal attacks. This will be your last warning.

• Reply 37 of 69
    Quote:

This will be your last warning.

Shiver me timbers matey!

• Reply 38 of 69
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

That hand basket and hell are not treating Canada well.

Et tu, Apple?

• Reply 39 of 69
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    konqerror wrote: »
    One benefit is that in certain US states, you don't have to pay sales tax for campus bookstore purchases.

Well if you ship to an address in a non sales tax state, you also pay no sales tax.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

even when Apple was in the toilet, you could buy a Mac at my campus store but not a Dell.   The question may not be, "what's up with Apple?", but "what's with campus stores in Canada"?

When did Dell ever sell its computers through retail? I remember back in the day when I'd visit CompUSA, there were computers from all the major companies except Dell. Didn't Dell use to sell exclusively through its online store?