Apple issues Safari 7.0.3 and 6.1.3 betas with focus on AutoFill, push notifications

Posted:
in Mac Software edited March 2014
Apple on Tuesday seeded to developers the latest beta versions of its Safari Web browser for OS X Mavericks, Mountain Lion and Lion, asking testers to focus on AutoFill features and general compatibility improvements.

Safari

According to people familiar with the pre-release software, dubbed Safari 7.0.3 for OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Safari 6.1.3 for Mountain Lion and Lion, Apple is asking developers to focus on general website compatibility, push notifications and AutoFill enhancements.

Apple introduced Safari push notifications in version 7.0 of the Mac Web browser, allowing websites to deliver real-time breaking news, important updates and other content via Notification Center.

In addition, Apple is requesting testing of the Login AutoFill feature and generic extension compatibility, while credit card AutoFill is getting special treatment in the OS X Mavericks-only Safari update.

All three seeds can be downloaded individually from Apple's Developer Center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Never should have given up on Safari for Windows.

• Reply 2 of 13
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    I still use Safari for Windows. I wish they didn't stop development either, I really miss iCoud tabs. Firefox is a good backup.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

I still use Safari for Windows.

Hey, same here. It does the job better than anything else Windows has. Few glitches these days from it being on OS’ that weren’t even around when it last came out but…

• Reply 4 of 13
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Plethora, anxiety or the vanity version of cartel browsing.

• Reply 5 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Interesting. I'm surprised they are pushing out non-security updates for apps before Mavericks now that everyone using Lion or ML can freely update to Mavericks. I saw that as one of the benefits when postulated how making OS X free would reduce support costs and gets more users on the latest OS.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Yay! Apple feedback does work! I pointed out some quirks in Credit Card auto fill.

Of course, they may already have known.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I don't know about Safari, it's my main web browser on my Mac, but too many times lately I'm getting a Safari can't connect to a websites server message for no good reason. For when I go to the same website moments later using Chrome, the site comes up with no problems. Then I go back to Safari and more often than not the site now loads up! It's a very frustrating bug that's on Safari for iOS too.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Hope they fix the Copy and Paste with multiple words using the CTRL + Click ( aka Right Click) on the laptops which instead of searching for the words enters, SFari inserts %20 in all the spaces and then says Server cannot be found.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Wonder of they've fixed the Reset Safari crash?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interesting. I'm surprised they are pushing out non-security updates for apps before Mavericks now that everyone using Lion or ML can freely update to Mavericks. I saw that as one of the benefits when postulated how making OS X free would reduce support costs and gets more users on the latest OS.

Not all hardware currently in US will support Mavericks. My daughter is using an iMac that meets her needs but will not accept anything above 10.7.5. It would be nice if we could all be on the same system but I don't have the $ while this machine is still functioning at a very reasonable pace (95% of what she does is browse the internet).

• Reply 11 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Not all hardware currently in us will support Mavericks. My daughter is using an iMac that meets her needs but will not accept anything above 10.7.5. It would be nice if we could all be on the same system but I don't have the $ while this machine is still functioning at a very reasonable pace (95% of what she does is browse the internet).

1) Good point.

2) Has your daughter considered a Chromebook? :D
  • Reply 12 of 13
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Not all hardware currently in us will support Mavericks. My daughter is using an iMac that meets her needs but will not accept anything above 10.7.5. It would be nice if we could all be on the same system but I don't have the $ while this machine is still functioning at a very reasonable pace (95% of what she does is browse the internet).

1) Good point.

2) Has your daughter considered a Chromebook? image

Her Dad considered a Chromebook but we already have 3 iPads and all of us have iPhones. These fit our needs better - and I am not impressed with the Chromebook. I would prefer a computer that is supported by someone other than Google - some may call me a fanboi but I have been using Apple since 1982 (worked there for a while, own there stock) and it is one ecosystem.

The Chromebook might work for some but in our house it doesn't fit. Thanks for the suggestion though.

BTW: A Chromebook still wouldn't get me Maverick updates ;-)

• Reply 13 of 13

I have the feeling that the only reason Apple continues to support Lion for add-on software like Safari is for the MacPro1,1.  There's still a large population of them out there that are workhorses (Quad Core Xeons, up to 32GB RAM) yet are limited to Lion due to their 32-bit EFI on the logic boards.  I have the feeling we'll see Lion (and software related to it, like Safari) updated for a couple of more years on these computers.