Apple named most valuable 'billion dollar brand' in US

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2014
According to a report released on Tuesday, Apple is the most valuable billion-dollar U.S. brand name, topping a list of 500 firms including branding heavyweights like Google, Microsoft, Coca-Cola and McDonalds.

In brand consulting agency Brand Finance's "Billion Dollar Brands" list, Apple's brand is worth $104.6 billion, putting it comfortably ahead of runner-up Google's $68.6 billion valuation, reports the Silicon Valley Business Journal.

As noted by the publication, Brand Finance compiled the list by estimating the royalty rate that would be charged to use a company's brand and combining the result with expected future revenue.

Overall, tech companies took five of the top ten spots, with Microsoft coming in third, GE in fifth and Amazon.com in seventh. The tech sector dominated the list and accounted for 23 percent of the total.

Silicon Valley in particular is home to seven of the top 50 companies, including Intel, Cisco, Oracle, Hewlett-Packard, eBay, Facebook, PayPal and Yahoo. California came out as the No. 1 state by brand value with its companies generating a total of $484 billion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    That's impossible. Apple is on a downward slide to failure since Steve died. Kane said so in his/her book. Kane wrote for WSJ and they are the true experts
  • Reply 2 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apples brand is worth $104.6 billion

Seems like a lot more. ;)

Apple, after all, is one brand, with other companies having subsidiaries out of their name.

• Reply 3 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    $100B? I'd wager alot more.. considering Apple pulled in $60B in revenue just last quarter.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    charlituna wrote: »
    That's impossible. Apple is on a downward slide to failure since Steve died. Kane said so in his/her book. Kane wrote for WSJ and they are the true experts

/s
  • Reply 5 of 41
    I love that the company that most despises branding and marketing has by far the most valuable brand in the world.

Karma. God. Schadenfreude.
  • Reply 6 of 41

Brand Finance?

• Reply 7 of 41

This fits Apple/Tim Cook perfectly:

Wish I may, wish I might

Have this I wish tonight

Are you satisfied?

Dig for gold, dig for fame

You dig to make your name

Are you pacified?

All the wants you waste

All the things you've chased

Then it all crashes down

And you break your crown

And you point your finger

But there's no one around

Just want one thing

Just to play the king

But the castle's crumbled

And you're left with just a name

Where's your crown, King Nothing?

Where's your crown?

You're just nothing 

You're just nothing 

Absolutely nothing 

• Reply 8 of 41
    What happened to that Trillion?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    This fits MasterOfWar perfectly:

Wish I may, wish I might
    Have this I wish tonight
    Are you satisfied?
    Dig for gold, dig for fame
    You dig to make your name
    Are you pacified?

All the wants you waste
    All the things you've chased

Then it all crashes down
    And you break your crown
    And you point your finger
    But there's no one around
    Just want one thing
    Just to play the king
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">But the castle's crumbled</span>

And you're left with just a name
    Where's your crown?
  • Reply 10 of 41

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Maybe hard to believe, but some of us of higher ideas than the mere accumulation of obscene amounts of cash on the back of exploited workers in China and easily duped, brainwashed, superficial, customers...

The higher they rise, the harder they fall....

• Reply 11 of 41
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

I love that the company that most despises branding and marketing has by far the most valuable brand in the world.

Despises branding and marketing?  Apple is a corporation (and a dang successful one at that).  There's no chance that Apple despises branding and marketing.  None.

And that's not a slight on Apple either.  They should care about branding and marketing (which they obviously do).

• Reply 12 of 41
    Whuuuuutttttttt? NO SAMDUNG? Well, Plastic is the in thing now. Right?
  • Reply 13 of 41
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    If you look closely they didn't even write "Apple" in the graphic,
  • Reply 14 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    grey silvy wrote: »
    Whuuuuutttttttt? NO SAMDUNG? Well, Plastic is the in thing now. Right?

It's limited to U.S. brand names.
  • Reply 15 of 41

Sarcasm. Just that you have some idiot that thinks she knows how and when the downfall of Apple will be.

It's just I've read so many stories of Samsung trying to buy their way into the media with paying all the stars and then it backfires when the people are shown using iPhones...LOL Kinda like LeBron James starts posting on twitter with an iPhone complaining about losing all his data on his Note and Ellen and others like Beckham with the photo ops and then posting with iPhones. Kinda ironic.

I mean it wasn't but a few years ago that we saw photos of Windows computers being unloaded at the Apple HQ loading docks.

I just find it all funny.

• Reply 16 of 41
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Perhaps there is a correlation.

Perhaps some people do care/perceive what Apple tries to do.

• Reply 17 of 41
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Despises branding and marketing?  Apple is a corporation (and a dang successful one at that).  There's no chance that Apple despises branding and marketing.  None.

And that's not a slight on Apple either.  They should care about branding and marketing (which they obviously do).

Well, her/she meant this - https://vimeo.com/88907392 - Apple’s Former Marketing Chief - Allison Johnson

?And you’ll know why most people do not get Mr. Jobs. Any word’s meaning is not always constant.

• Reply 18 of 41
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seems like a lot more. ;)

Apple, after all, is one brand, with other companies having subsidiaries out of their name.

Yeah that number seems kinda low. I think they forgot to carry the 1 or something when adding. 

EDIT: I guess the only thing I can think of is thats Apple's value in the US. The $474B is their worldwide value. Just throwing something out there as to how they got such a low amount. 

• Reply 19 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

You are correct of course. But compare Apple’s stealth marketing in which you don’t see that many ads except for extremely targeted ones with Samsung’s blitzkrieg ad campaign with ads in every magazine you pick up, a total blizzard of TV ads, sponsorship of just about any sporting event you can name. And what are the results? In the U.S. the iPhone has 42% market share and Samsung has 28% according to the latest estimates. Apple leverages its superior design and customer service, a certain mystique halo effect, and word of mouth. An Apple product announcement causes ripples throughout the tech universe. Compare that with Samsung’s strange, weird, sometimes laughable productions.

Apple is a certified genius at branding and marketing. Nobody comes close.

• Reply 20 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

What makes you think Apple despises branding and marketing? On the contrary they embrace it, and one of the best at it IMO.