AppleTV Blinking after update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2014

I was excited to read about the new Apple TV software update last night so quickly went to do the update.  I've done many and never had a problem until this time.

I started the update and the last time I looked at it the download had around 1 minute left.  When I went back about a half our later I simply saw the Apple TV's lighting blinking at a quick pace.  I don't get any sound or video at all.

The model that I have is the most recent Apple TV.  When doing some Google research I found similar problems but people talked about plugging it in via USB to your computer and syncing with iTunes but I believe that's for the older model.  I figured there must be some type of hardware reset but I don't see anything like this.

is there some way to get it to work again such as by doing a hardware reset or do I have to go to the Genius Bar?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8

I had the same problem. I have the 720p AppleTV 2. A series of attempts at unplugging, holding down buttons, and simply waiting eventually made the thing work again, but I'm having worse handshake problems than before (and I've always had handshake problems) where I get audio but no video.

I've also been having lots and lots of problems with remote pairing.

• Reply 2 of 8

I ended up fixing my issue.  Turns out there's a Micro USB port on the back and the device can be plugged into your computer and with iTunes you're able to select Restore.  I did some Google research and I am putting a link below that told how to do it but it fixed my problem.   This may help others who have a similar problem.

http://www.mytechbrief.com/content/how-restore-2nd-or-3rd-gen-apple-tv-flashing-light

• Reply 3 of 8
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    markw10 wrote: »
    I ended up fixing my issue.  Turns out there's a Micro USB port on the back and the device can be plugged into your computer and with iTunes you're able to select Restore.  I did some Google research and I am putting a link below that told how to do it but it fixed my problem.   This may help others who have a similar problem.

http://www.mytechbrief.com/content/how-restore-2nd-or-3rd-gen-apple-tv-flashing-light

Excellent find.
  • Reply 4 of 8

Have done the USB to iTunes trick 5x now... Still not work... Piece of crap device... Never once had an issue with the 1st gen apple TV... wasn't for the screen sharing... I wouldn't have upgraded... Any other ideas?

• Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pags409 View Post

Have done the USB to iTunes trick 5x now... Still not work... Piece of crap device... Never once had an issue with the 1st gen apple TV... wasn't for the screen sharing... I wouldn't have upgraded... Any other ideas?

BS, its the best by far on the market.

Plug it into USB and have iTunes restore it.

Take it to an Apple store if you can't figure it out.

• Reply 6 of 8

Who are you to call BS on what I know is true...?

I have connected it iTunes... I will be taking it in, doesn't take away the fact that this particular item is a piece of crap.

Check yourself...

I am a MAC user... So I'm entitled to me statement and opinion...

• Reply 7 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Because it isn’t something you know and it isn’t true.

I have connected it iTunes... I will be taking it in, doesn't take away the fact that this particular item is a piece of crap.

By ‘particular item’, you can only mean your specific device, in your hand, and not the product line as a whole.

I am a MAC user So

Try again, this time with an actual argument of any sort.

• Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Check yourself...

I am a MAC user... So I'm entitled to me statement and opinion...

i know BS when I see it- and you are piling it on here.

So take it into an apple store if you can't figure out how to reset with a usb cable.

check what? Go check yourself, squirrel bait

your statement and opinion aren't worth shit here. Too much BS to be taken seriously.