Apple's 8GB iPhone 5c offers just 3.7GB less storage than Samsung's "16GB" flagship Galaxy S4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 194
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For example, Microsoft's Surface Pro hybrid tablet shipped with an impressive sounding 64GB of storage, but outside of Windows and other preinstalled software, the device only left around 36 percent of its installed storage capacity for the user.

In contrast, Apple's more efficient iPad leaves around 85 percent of its installed storage memory free for apps and other user content.

Are you actually trying to compare an SSD (and microSD) equipped x86-64 Windows 8.1 tablet pre loaded with Microsoft Office, with an eMMC equipped ARM based device running a mobile OS (iOS)?  

The difference between these two devices is night and day.

• Reply 22 of 194
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why do these article about available storage never mention the differences between BASE-10 using in marketing and BASE-2 used by the system, which accounts for a large part of the capacity discrepancy among all vendors? Too many will assume, for instance, that the 5C's OS is 3.4GiB?

It's absolutely ridiculous that 1000 and 1024 use the same wording. Imagine if 5,280 and 3,281 feet both used the term mile. It would be a huge pain the ass.

Your mile analogy is ridiculous. 1GB is 1,000,000,000 to some people and 1,073,741,824 to others. That's a difference of only 73MB or ~7%; not a really big deal. This would mean the mile would be either 5280 feet or 5650 (difference of 370 feet), not the huge difference you use. When you're talking about a huge starting number, 1GB, worrying about an extra 73MB doesn't really matter to most people.

When you talk about the amount of usable space on an iPhone compared to a Samsung Galaxy S4 (both 16GB models), a difference of 4+GB is huge no matter how you calculate a GB.

• Reply 23 of 194
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephFriedrich View Post

On top of all that, all of Apple's devices allow you to store data in iCloud. This completely does away with the need for something like a microSD card slot for extra space. iCloud is also extremely easy to use, displaying and allowing you to search through all your items, as if they were on your device.

It should be noted that iCloud data storage does not equate to remote disc storage for everything.

You can store an app's user data in the cloud, but not the app itself. For example, that 150KB spreadsheet can be stored in iCloud, but not the 368MB Numbers app itself. iPhoto takes up 315MB, Pages take 372MB, Keynote takes 538MB, iMovie takes 664MB, GarageBand takes 772MB. 

Note that certain functionality can't be executed in the cloud either. For example, you cannot effectively shoot 1080p HD video and edit it in iCloud. You need local storage for the original recording, plus more local space if you wish to edit the footage and create a new movie. The final product could be uploaded to iCloud, but you can't use the cloud for editing or initial recording.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but Google prevents the SD card from being used for app installation. Only user media (photos, movies, etc.) can be used on the SD card; the reasoning behind this is that SD cards are less reliable and have poorer performance than onboard flash storage.

• Reply 24 of 194
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

Are you actually trying to compare an SSD (and microSD) equipped x86-64 Windows 8.1 tablet pre loaded with Microsoft Office, with an eMMC equipped ARM based device running a mobile OS (iOS)?  

The difference between these two devices is night and day.

Yea, one of them works great and one of them is a great paperweight.

• Reply 25 of 194
    This is terrible news for people in emergenging markets that were hopeful the 5C would have been an alternative. Barely 5GB is really nothing for a phone, between apps and a couple of music that poor phone is gonna be full and unusable most of its life time. I know that Apple Insider is trying very hard to somehow twist it into a different kind of news, and I thank them as an apple fan for trying, but in this case this is a very bleak perspective that not even without the third party bundles the 5C cannot allow even 5GB of user free space.

In the case of the 5C Apple will be competing with tons of Android and Windows phone devices that will not only be cheaper, but offer more practical storage space as almost all of them come with a microSD slot. This makes me a sad Apple fan to see Apple waste all that money trying to make a device for a specific market that Apple evidently know nothing about.
  • Reply 26 of 194
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rob53 wrote: »
    Your mile analogy is ridiculous. 1GB is 1,000,000,000 to some people and 1,073,741,824 to others. That's a difference of only 73MB or ~7%; not a really big deal. This would mean the mile would be either 5280 feet or 5650 (difference of 370 feet), not the huge difference you use. When you're talking about a huge starting number, 1GB, worrying about an extra 73MB doesn't really matter to most people.

When you talk about the amount of usable space on an iPhone compared to a Samsung Galaxy S4 (both 16GB models), a difference of 4+GB is huge no matter how you calculate a GB.

73MB for each GB is not a big deal to you? Why would you accept any difference from this polyseme when dealing with numbers?

For a 128GB iPad you need to multiply that 73MB by 128. That comes out to over 9GB. For a 1TB HDD that's 73GB. For a 4TB HDD that's 292GB. How can these numbers be so inconsequential to you? Would you be happy with an additional 7% tax on your income because it's only 7% or would you figure how much that translate to in week, month, year and lifetime?

Your argument is akin to saying that a little rape is ok so long as it's not a lot of rape.
  • Reply 27 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Yea, one of them works great and one of them is a great paperweight.

That's true, when you're trying to run CAD software, sketch with the active stylus, edit photo/video in professional grade software or play games on Steam, the iPad can only hold your paper down.

Again both devices are completely different and used for very different purposes.

• Reply 28 of 194
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

the reasoning behind this is that SD cards are less reliable and have poorer performance than onboard flash storage.

I've read that too, that onboard flash memory is far better, more reliable and faster than using an SD card.

When a Fandroid mentions SD cards, I'll know right away that I'm dealing with an amateur, who doesn't use their device for anything of importance.

• Reply 29 of 194
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    I would be extremely wary of recommending the use of PhotoStream as "cloud storage". It's a good way to sync photos between devices, but as it is poorly explained (and thus understood) and may delete photos without user interaction it is emphatically not a good place to store important memories.
  • Reply 30 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realapplefanboy View Post

This is terrible news for people in emergenging markets that were hopeful the 5C would have been an alternative. 

The 8 GB 5c was made available in the U.K., China, France, Germany and Australia, I wouldn't exactly call those emerging markets, with the possible exception of China.

Screw emerging markets, because Apple is never going to win the race to the bottom mentality that everybody else uses. If an Apple product is too expensive for somebody, no matter where they might live, then they should go and buy an Android phone or whatever. There is no money to be made from those kinds of people anyway. It sounds like a poor business decision.

• Reply 31 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've read that too, that onboard flash memory is far better, more reliable and faster than using an SD card.

When a Fandroid mentions SD cards, I'll know right away that I'm dealing with an amateur, who doesn't use their device for anything of importance.

There are faster SD cards, but that will add to the cost and the device needs to be compatible.  Generally the applications will be stored on the device's storage and additional data (eg. music, video, photos, etc.) will be stored on the microSD.

Honestly, if someone is actually using their device for something of importance they'll likely be using a secure smartphone such as the consumer grade blackphone, or the professional grade Black phone from Boeing. 

• Reply 32 of 194
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

All of that space used up by Samsung's bloatware. At least they provide a microSD card slot for further expansion, and it costs ~$20 for a 32GB card.

So just like external cloud storage.

I wonder why Google discourages SD cards in all their Nexus models?

What's weird is the latest S2 update, where the memory was split into two, 2GB "device memory" and the rest becomes "USB storage", a nightmare for users who update and suddenly they get "memory full" errors, changing these partition sizes will brick the phone.

To free up space all you have to do is dial *#9900# and delete dumpstate/logcat.

• Reply 33 of 194
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member

To be fair, Which also writes this essential part:

Quote:

In contrast, you can massively boost the S4’s memory, adding an extra 64GB of storage for only around £40. To combat the S4?s storage issues, Samsung allows you to install apps directly to its memory card.

If especially the last sentence is true, the issue is not as bad as it sounds.

It used to be that the extra memory was nearly useless (as DED once very nicely explained when writing about memory architectures). If it now is not a problem anymore, leaving this out is a bit 'coloured'.

• Reply 34 of 194
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

And unlike the 5C, you can double that total memory for 10 bucks with the S4 and a MiniSD card. So there's that. I know it's AI's wont to trash Samsung whenever possible, but this is some serious reaching. Now if you wanted to compare it to the HTC One, or similar android phones that don't offer MicroSD slots, that would be fair game.

Back to the issue of limited memory on the 5C: what bothers me most is the necessity for a certain amount of available memory required for iOS and App updates, as well as normal use. iOS updates require 2.5GB of free space just to download, leaving the user a paltry 1.2GB of free space to play with. Now of course that only applies to OTA updates, as the memory cap isn't an issue when updating through iTunes, but this limitation heavily bumps against Apple's own admitted push away from mobile device reliance on PC tethering.

• Reply 35 of 194
    Quote:

Honestly, if someone is actually using their device for something of importance they'll likely be using a secure smartphone such as the consumer grade blackphone, or the professional grade Black phone from Boeing. 

Importance isn't just about security. If I worked for the CIA or if I was James Bond or I was a terrorist, then maybe I'd consider using one of the phones that you mentioned.

I was talking about pros and professional applications, such as pros accessing and editing photos, videos or music on their devices, and it obviously makes sense to be doing that directly on the onboard memory. A pro can afford to go out and buy a 128 GB iPad.

• Reply 36 of 194
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Dudes... Yes the s4 sucks, etc. But who cares? The fact is that the 8gb option of the 5c is just a trap made by a greedy company.

The OS uses 3gb, 2 are needed for updates. That leaves 3gb.

In what world is that enough? 3 gb? That's fucking pathetic and a crappy move. A few photos of that awesome camera, few videos, 1 good game and that's it.

That's a bad iPhone.

Apple has everything to use 64gb as minimum. But no, gotta be greedy.

Of course, the usual delusionals who will came defending everything and vomiting a mystical 50 per cent market share in a country where most phones are close to free and contracts are the norm, while ignoring the sad 10 per cent marker share worldwide, will also irrational talking about "who needs it".

For them : shut up. It's about having a better phone, just like with better cameras, screens, etc.
  • Reply 37 of 194
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:

That's true, when you're trying to run CAD software, sketch with the active stylus, edit photo/video in professional grade software or play games on Steam, the iPad can only hold your paper down.

Again both devices are completely different and used for very different purposes.

When you're trying to do those things on a windows tablet and not a PC or Mac, then you are the paperweight.

• Reply 38 of 194
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Further fine-tuning an entry level offering.

Reasonable.

Still wish it came in gray....

• Reply 39 of 194
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cash907 wrote: »
    iOS updates require 2.5GB of free space just to download, leaving the user a paltry 1.2GB of free space to play with.

Your hatred of Apple really hinders your reasoning ability. So you took 3.7 and subtracted 2.5 to get 1.2. That 3.7 is in reference to the difference between the 5C and the 16GB Galaxy S4. It is not how much available space the 5C comes with. Using the included graph the S4 has 8.56GiB of available space which means subtracting 3.7GiB leaves 4.86GiB.

Then you made the erroneous conclusion that the 2.5GiB of space required to accomplish the download, unpacking, verification and swapping of files for the update process is the additional space needed for the OS. To restate in similar terms, most of that 2.5GiB is given back to the user after the update completes.
  • Reply 40 of 194
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"A few photos of that awesome camera, few videos, 1 good game and that's it."

Wow is that crappy math, that list won't be over three GB. Besides which not everyone needs or would like to pay for 64+ GB. So there's another choice: if it's not for you there's always the option of not buying it right?